Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running stock heigh right now and i want the tallest tire that will fit without rubbing so i can get as much grond clearance as possible. i have seen a few people running 70'' tires but im wondering if 75'' will fit with the stock suspension.

thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
most everybody is running a tire in the ballpark of 27 inches tall. The 70 or 75 refers to sidewall height as a percentage of width.

The general concensus is 225-75-16s are as "tall" as will fit w/o rubbing. 235/70-16 is "bigger"....aka "wider," but not quite as tall.

I don't think either would make much of a difference between getting "stuck" or "not stuck."

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a 235-75-16 be pushing the limits of what will fit then?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Other 'bigger-is-better', is there a reason for preferring 235 over 225?

On Tirerack, I find 4 models of A/T category tire in 235/75/16, and 20 in 225/75/16. That is, the 225 size vastly more popular. 225/75 is also more likely to come in heavy duty construction (truck load range E), not that you need that load range on the Element.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly no... i think im going with 225-70-16's after looking at my choices in regards to Nokian's tire selection. i just dont want to order someting that dosent fit. im used to BMW's and VW's. i know what fits on them and what dosent but im new to the element so i dont really know too much abou it yet.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
This goes back some time, but one of the first Element owners to try 'beefy' 235/70/16 BFG KOs encountered some rubbing. I don't recall whether it was on the bell-top of the strut tower or the fender liner when partially turning the wheel. He switched to 225/75/16 and had no problems.

Others have used 235/70/16 without problems. But the KO has very square shoulders, and hence the diagonal distance to the tread edge was larger than other models.

The 225/75 has a larger overall diameter, but more taper from max width (225) to the tread (due to the large ratio). Hence a bit better clearance where it matters.

Have you given thought as to what you would do if you needed to use the spare? The compact spare is smaller than stock diameter (6% if my memory is correct). Increasing your tire diameter by 4% (in the case of 235/70) or more will increase that discrepancy.

Do you think you will ever need chains? Larger tires means less clearance for chains.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in MD chains are illegal so no i wont need them, as far as the spare my daily drive is less than 10 miles and i keep a flat kit in my E so unless i have some drastic tire damage ill be ok limping back on the spare or just fixing the tire on the side of the road.

so you think 225-75-16 are the safe bet then?

thanks again for all the help.:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
im running stock heigh right now and i want the tallest tire that will fit without rubbing so i can get as much grond clearance as possible. i have seen a few people running 70'' tires but im wondering if 75'' will fit with the stock suspension.

thanks in advance for the help!
I'm running 225/75-16 Yokohama Geolanders and don't appear to be getting any rubbing. I got them because I wanted the increased ground clearance,, also, with the stock suspension. They look good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice! got any pics? im thinkin of running the nokian Vatiiva A/T's

or the WRG2's

both in size 225-75-16's. im leaning towards the vatiiva cause i do go offroading from time to time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts