Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be worried?

I just took my 2008 EX into the dealer for inspection and visors installed and they had to completely replace my rear brakes. The guy (who was in a hurry because I waited until closing to pick up) told me that the right rear had gotten stuck and wore the pad down to nothing. They replaced both sides under warranty. I asked what could have caused it, and he shrugged and said, "Rust".

This is the first time I've ever had a Honda need any kind of covered repair like this. Its got me spooked. This is my 3rd new Honda, but my first Element - I just switched from CR-Vs.

I'm not much of a brake user - it wastes gas. I'm telling myself it was atrophy. Let me know if you guys have any insights.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yeah- another E in PA!

Sounds strange! I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm not even going to attempt an explanation . . . although I'm sure I could come up with something that sounds reasonably good :rolleyes:

Thank goodness it was covered by the warranty and good luck trying to figure it out!

Where are you located? I'm near Harrisburg and am in the process of planning a mini-meet at Haar's Drive-In in Dillsburg in June or July.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45453

Please check it out and please come- it's always great to meet new E-ple :)

~T

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
This isn't a very common problem with the Element but there are some fairly well documented cases of problems with the rear brakes. But those I believe were all with 2003 models as I hadn't heard of any of the other years having this issue.

Look for the threads by brotherC20 and then contact him, he will be more than willing to answer your questions regarding the rear brake issues he had.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick responses all!

I'll poke around a bit and keep checkin' back here to see if anyone has a thought. Since its not common- I'm just going to chock it up in my head to freak occurrence and keep an eye on them here on out.

Gary- the 'gas' thing is sort of like a family joke for me (apparently, some people think I'm not a great driver). I argue that anytime you impede the natural inertia of a car, you're wasting gas. After all, you just have to stomp the accelerator to get it going again!

Oh - and I'm in the Johnstown/Altoona area. I'd love to get out - but its hard for me to do extra stuff right now. I'm pulled between the fuel costs and house repairs. I also have a spoiled dog that's needier than a child (I can't even get to a movie!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Gary- the 'gas' thing is sort of like a family joke for me (apparently, some people think I'm not a great driver). I argue that anytime you impede the natural inertia of a car, you're wasting gas. After all, you just have to stomp the accelerator to get it going again!
I'll back you up on that, my number two tip for saving gas is to drive like you can't use the brakes (number one is proper tire pressure).

If they just replaced the worn pad and didn't do anything else, you may just keep wearing down pads. I would have them look at the braking system to make sure everything is working properly before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Do they salt the roads back there? What happens is ether the caliper sliders or the piston gets rusty and stuck to just where the pads will be riding on the rotor where normally the seal will pull the pad back just slightly to keep it from riding on the rotor. I have found synthetic grease works great keeping the calipers from jamming up or binding. I would think they ether replaced the calipers or cleaned the sliders and greased them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i rarely ever use my brakes but i drive a manual transmission. do auto drivers who dont use brakes just shift into 2 or L?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Na, they just run red lights, or slam the car ahead of them.:D
We run "Pink" lights not "Red" :D

Regards,

... Pink = "Yellow" + "Red"

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's automatic!

do auto drivers who dont use brakes just shift into 2 or L?
The auto trannys have a "grade braking" feature. The electronics sense speed, throttle position, and brake application and will automatically shift down to help maintain your speed. As an example, there is a steep hill on my way to work thats a 45 MPH zone. If I lift my foot off the gas and coast, you go way over the speed limit. By just stepping on the brake, the trans will shift down by itself, and when I take my foot off the brake, it will hold the lower gear until you hit the gas again, or slow down to a certain point. Out of the 5 speeds, you can manually use 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. I rarely shift it manually, unless i'm driving down something like a winding logging road.

Btw..how's the biking in AZ? Mudfest where I am :cool:

GF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the "no braking" support. I knew that you guys would be on my side on that one.

Yeah - I'm hoping the brakes went because of salt or goo. But this is my third Honda since 1998 and the first time I've needed a full-on brake replacement. They did replace everything back there - not just the pads.

I'm just gonna have to watch them and listen for caliper issues ( thats where I think the problem was - a stuck caliper). Every now and then, I'll just turn off the ipod.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does the vehicle sit for extended periods of time ? I've had this issue, sticking calipers, because I wasn't driving it enough. Increased the break maintenance and no problems...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope - doesn't sit all that much. Its my only car - and I have a 70 mile daily commute. Lately, its been sittin' on the weekends because I'm working on my house and not driving much.

I garage it in the winter, but in warmer months the garage is a workshop - its the E is banished to the driveway. This is just a stumper for me. I can't figure out what went wrong or why.

I am going to make sure that I take it back to the dealer at the first sign of trouble. My warranties don't last very long with the mileage I put on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently had the same problem around the same timeframe of ownership...Of course it's more to due with mileage anyway. Rear brake replacement 19K(19,300 miles to be exact). Mine wasn't covered under warranty however. Honda customer care told me to pound sand after both the first and second calls. See the following thread I started for more info and pictures: Problems & Issues > 2008 LX Rear Brake Issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Brake issues

I have on 06 Element Y (2WD).

I had the same issue last week at 38000k (primary family vehicle...doesn't sit for any period of time, driven to daycare, work and home again).

Was told by Honda that there are no known trends of these type of issues so they wouldn't recall it, thus wouldn't cover the cost. Mine was front pads shoes and routers and rear pads and shoes.

I have friends who wholesale vehicles and they said it's a known Element issue, along with windshield issues and uneven tire wear

I would love to know how many other people have this issue.
Maybe if everyone said something to Honda we could all recoup some of the cost.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have on 06 Element Y (2WD).

I had the same issue last week at 38000k (primary family vehicle...doesn't sit for any period of time, driven to daycare, work and home again).

Was told by Honda that there are no known trends of these type of issues so they wouldn't recall it, thus wouldn't cover the cost. Mine was front pads shoes and routers and rear pads and shoes.

I have friends who wholesale vehicles and they said it's a known Element issue, along with windshield issues and uneven tire wear

I would love to know how many other people have this issue.
Maybe if everyone said something to Honda we could all recoup some of the cost.
Did they replace the rotors instead of being turned? If so that dealer most
likely burned you badly, you should have got at least a couple more pads
sets before needing to replace the rotors unless your griding the pads
way past the wear indicators.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Does the vehicle sit for extended periods of time ? I've had this issue, sticking calipers, because I wasn't driving it enough. Increased the break maintenance and no problems...
same here.
My right rear caliper is sticking. We went on vacation for 2.5 weeks and used my wifes car. The E sat out in the driveway for 2.5 weeks. The first time I drove the E when I got back I could hear it rubbing. (30K miles) I hoped driving it for a week would loosen it up. It did quite a bit but I can hear it ticking back there when I am coasting.
Where's that grease?
for the record I don't see this as a defect or a broader Honda issue. just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
848 Posts
"I would love to know how many other people have this issue.
Maybe if everyone said something to Honda we could all recoup some of the cost."
You can always call Honda's public relations (check your owners manual)
There is no abnormal brake problems for Elements in a large scale that
can't be linked to drivers behavior, or climate effects. So I wouldn't hold
your breath for a recall of any sort, just case by case so its up to you
to make some noise.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts