Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 & 2004 Honda Element
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been been visiting here for a while taking care of our 2 Elements but this is my first post because this is the first time I haven't been able to find the answer I was looking for by just searching the site so I decided it was finally time to join the conversation.

My 2003 Element needs to have its valve cover gasket replaced. I bought the Fel-Pro VS50627R kit and will be replacing the spark plug seals too. My question is do all 8 (4 each of 2 different diameters) spark plug tube seals get used? In all of my searching I have only seen 4 replaced. Other brands list their kits as including upper and lower spark plug tube seals so I'm assuming that that is what is included in the Fel-Pro kit also. Do the tubes just pull out to expose the lower seals? If the tubes come out to expose the lower seals easily, what is the best way to get the lower seals pried out? It seems like it would be a tight work area between the camshafts.

Thanks for the help, I'm planning to tear into it in the morning and just want to know what I'm in for.
Hans

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just looking at Majestic's site (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com), it doesn't even show the tubes as separate from the head, much less having a seal at the bottom of tube. Maybe the kit is intended to cover several different engines that have different seal diameters up top?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pretty sure the second ring seal goes on the ignition coil.

Check out this video:

Pretty sure I'm doing this next weekend. I just posted a thread about oil getting into one of my cylinders and I think this is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@fleetw00d I had the same thoughts and when I researched the other vehicles the kit is sold for (only several years of Accord and Element) they all called for the same seal on the Honda parts websites. That's when I started getting really confused.

@ThaiCobra I think you got the nail on the head. I looked up the ignition coil diagrams and it does show a seal around the base. Good luck with your repair next week, I'll post back if I come up with anything weird or different.

SmartSelect_20200222-191128_Chrome.jpg

Thank you both for your research and help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went and looked those up as well before scrolling down to see someone had already found the second seal. Does that seal tend to stay on the coil? I don't remember a separate seal when I changed the plugs while redoing my daughter's engine. I don't see why it is necessary, if the plug tube seal works, there shouldn't be oil getting in the plug holes, unlike the F22 in my Accord, it pumps oil into the tube from the interface between the head and cam hold downs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the seal stays at the top of the coil stem and seals against the top of the valve cover. Rather than sealing out oil it looks like it's there to seal out dust and water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a different model for the Element's engine on Amazon (Fel-Pro VS50614R). In the comments, someone mentioned that one set of seals (x4) is for the k20 engine and the other seals (x4) are for the k24 engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts