Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my 8" JBL sub install step-by-step with pics. I picked the JBL GTO804 since it only requires .3 cubic feet of space, and has a relatively small overall outer diameter, or so I thought (you'll see why later).

I'm not gonna go over removing the whole center console, you can find that out elsewhere here. It is somewhat of a chore.

Anyways, after it's all out you can get to the sub enclosure.

Pop off the cover, and remove the (2) 10mm bolts on each side that hold the enclosure in. Once the enclosure is out, remove the subwoofer, and then remove all the screws around the backside perimeter that hold the enclosure together (don't forget the one in the top through the hole, and the one at the bottom underneath that foam pad).
Once you have the enclosure in half, get the dremel out - you'll be using it A LOT. Remove all the port chamber material on the inside.

After that is done, since a larger 8" sub is now going in, the front of the enclosure must be opened up some to allow the speaker to fit. I'd suggest a little trial and error for your specific sub and keep cutting until it fits. You can see my new JBL sub in the background. For an 8" sub, it's a monster: 200W RMS and 800W peak handling.

Now to the baffle. I used 1/4" plywood since space is at a premium. I cut the center speaker cutout hole first, then using the speaker I traced the overall outer diameter of the sub, then I made sure to leave some excess material above and below where the sub will mount. Remember it doesn't have to be pretty - none of this is visible.

Trial fit the baffle with the sub in.

I notice something that will have to be addressed: the gaps on the sides of the enclosure between the baffle and the enclosure itself.

The baffle installed. Now I have a nice flat surface to mount my sub. I screwed it onto the enclosure with construction adhesive on the back side as well.

I cut out a couple of pieces of wood to brace the sides of the baffle as well as to help close the previously mentioned gaps. You can see one piece dry-fit into the side, and the other piece on the ground.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continued...

I JB Welded the two side pieces in place between the baffle and the enclosure, as well as some small wedge pieces I cut out to close the remaining gaps. The port hole on the back side of the enclosure was also JB Welded shut with a piece of ABS plastic I had lying around (no picture of that, sorry).

Here's the enclosure stuffed with poly-fill. Of course, silicon sealant was used all around the enclosure when putting the two halves back together.

And now the sub is mounted, and ready to go back in.

Here's the enclosure mounted back in the Element.

And just as I was afraid of, the enclosure cover piece that wraps around the front and sides of the enclosure will not fit now. The cover hits the speaker on the sides where it is extending out from the enclosure sides. I trimmed the sides of the baffle and the speaker frame down a little bit on each side, and was able to get the cover to fit back on.

The cover would've probably fit a little better if I had trimmed a little more from the baffle and speaker frame, but I didn't feel like taking the enclosure back out again when I was able to get the cover to fit around, even though it took some work. Of course, having the center console back in helps keep the cover in place, and also kind of hides the whole thing anyways.

If I had to do anything different, I would've probably cut out the perforated speaker grill part of the OEM cover directly in front of the new sub, and then put a plain 8" aftermarket speaker grill on the outside of the cover to give the speaker some room during operation. The speaker is vibrating against the cover now. It's not real noticeable while driving, but parked (especially with the engine off) you can hear the rattling.

The sub sounds great though. I will admit it sounded a little better when I tested it out with the enclosure lying on the passenger side floor before installing it all back in the stock location, due to the cover issues mentioned above. But overall I am very happy with it.

I want to give credit to "AYF"s post here for inspiration and insight:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56258

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Nice effort! But I have to say I doubt you have enough airspace behind that sub to get low. If you look up Outpost's build you'll see that he had built out the enclosure to give an 8" solobaric some breathing space. The Kicker Solobaric series has some of the smallest enclosure volume requirements in the industry. Your JBL also appears to have a large motor structure and displacement which would require a larger enclosure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree and knew going into it that I wouldn't have the optimum airspace that would be ideal. But the sub sounds really good, especially powered with my Alpine PDX amp. The frequency response at the very bottom end of the sub's range is probably sacrificed (added the polyfill to help with that some), but it still performs very well for all kinds of music. It's a huge improvement over stock.

I really was looking for something that would be durable since I blew the previous Elemental Designs 7" sub I installed the first time, and still provide some nice bottom end to my music, and this definitely does the job. I do not want to sacrifice any additional cargo space by adding a nice enclosure for larger, better woofers so this was really my only option I considered.

Actually, I thought about cutting out the floorboard somewhere under a seat and welding an enclosure in for like a 10" woofer, but that seemed like too much work and a risky mod anyways, although I still think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice job, when I did mine I had to do alot of "fine tuning" to make it fit behind the OEM subwoofer grill. Yes, it doesn't go the lowest, but it beats the hell out of the OEM subwoofer and it takes up the same amount of space.:grin:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got tired real quick of the sub rattling against the OEM sub enclosure cover, so I fixed it.

Cut the cover out from the top (left the two side slots on where the console snaps into.

And also used a permanent marker around the whole baffle to black it out since it will now be somewhat visible.

Sub cover fits perfect now!

I also had to trim the two console pieces that would've pressed up against the sub as well.

You can see here why they had to be trimmed.

Of course, sitting in the seat you cannot see the sub at all. If you get down low, you can see this.

And now it finally sounds awesome. No rattles at all - just great bass. And it is great. I know some of you all are knocking the 8" sub and the space it has to work in, but I'm telling you, it far exceeds what I had hoped for. If you all could only hear it. :-D

If I had known I was going to do all this, I would've spray painted the baffle black before installing the sub, and I also would not have had to trim down the sides of the sub frame itself.

Oh well. Maybe someone reading this will learn from my adventures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
I your post is old, but is there anyway you coulld repost the pictures? Evidently the site that the pictures were originally on is unaccessible.
thanks
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts