Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to do this since the day I bought my E. Finally, it's a reality. I will have many more photos for y'all as we do the driver side I just couldn't wait to share. So here's a little tease.

·
Registered
836 Posts
please take pics of the process, i'm trying to decide where i want a sub when i put one into my LX and this is a good looking option!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will document in it's entirety. The first side was a learning process. Believe me it was rough. The driver side will be much better.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wow...even looks like a 10" could be put in that space. From the early pics, looks like a good job...nicely done. Looking forward to the details.

(This really is one of the best project type vehicles to play with.)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a few more. I didn't know it but Adrien took a few on his phone.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...even looks like a 10" could be put in that space. From the early pics, looks like a good job...nicely done. Looking forward to the details.

(This really is one of the best project type vehicles to play with.)

If it wasn't for the seat belt I could have. The JL 8w3v2-d2 needs only .33 cu ft and we were able to squeeze just a little over. I'll be running them with a HiFonics Zeus 5 channel . I plan on using channels 1 & 2 for the front mids and highs, 3 and 4 for the JLs in the doors and the fifth mono channel for the factory sub that came with the sc center console I got a while back. If I'm not mistaken I think the factory subs are dual 4 ohm so I can run it at 8 so I don't blow it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If it wasn't for the seat belt I could have. The JL 8w3v2-d2 needs only .33 cu ft and we were able to squeeze just a little over. I'll be running them with a HiFonics Zeus 5 channel . I plan on using channels 1 & 2 for the front mids and highs, 3 and 4 for the JLs in the doors and the fifth mono channel for the factory sub that came with the sc center console I got a while back. If I'm not mistaken I think the factory subs are dual 4 ohm so I can run it at 8 so I don't blow it.
That's a serious amount of custom enclosure handywork you got going on there. I at first thought it was a free air mount up...nice stealth application to say the least!

Do you have an equalizer in this setup? It can mean the difference of a great system and a spectacular experience from all these efforts. If you get one of the spatial effect gizmo's of good quality, you can really have something to play with. It's a careful balance between enhancement and just gimmickry but used right with quality stuff it can really be something in my experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Grey without any doubt! And this is awesome!
I want to do something similar with a JL 6W3v3 in the front doors, for midbass drivers (~150-300hz). I just don't have the money!
Great job though!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Grey. If you could make the grey a shade or two darker to match the
color of the door panel, it would look like Honda did it!!

Awesome work so far!!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a serious amount of custom enclosure handywork you got going on there. I at first thought it was a free air mount up...nice stealth application to say the least!

Do you have an equalizer in this setup? It can mean the difference of a great system and a spectacular experience from all these efforts. If you get one of the spatial effect gizmo's of good quality, you can really have something to play with. It's a careful balance between enhancement and just gimmickry but used right with quality stuff it can really be something in my experience.
Thank you! That's really funny... I can't imagine what that thing would sound like free air, ugh. I've always been a fan of the sealed box, ported and bandpass boxes seem to suffer from that "one note wonder" syndrome that I hate so much.

I still have to get a new head unit. I'd like to find one like my old clarion, had a separate eq that split up all the channels and you could adjust everything from crossover frequency down to delay. All controlled from the head unit. The problem I'm running into is looks, call me a geezer but car stereos today are hideous. I wish Honda made a factory radio with features like that.

I don't expect to get too fancy with this setup. I figure a halfway decent head unit with my zeus and I'll be happy but who knows I've been away from hifi for so long I might have started something my wife will regret.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grey without any doubt! And this is awesome!
I want to do something similar with a JL 6W3v3 in the front doors, for midbass drivers (~150-300hz). I just don't have the money!
Great job though!
I was thinking about that too but worried that I wouldn't be able to roll the window down unless the speaker was sticking half way out the door.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grey. If you could make the grey a shade or two darker to match the
color of the door panel, it would look like Honda did it!!

Awesome work so far!!!
The gray is better but I'm still gonna try to match it up a little closer.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
definantly go grey, how does it sound? and what did it all cost you?
It's very impressive for an 8 inch speaker. It's not gonna reach any extreme db but it has a range better than most 10's I've had my hands on.

So far it's only cost me the fiberglass and bondo. I had all the other stuff lying around.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thank you! That's really funny... I can't imagine what that thing would sound like free air, ugh. I've always been a fan of the sealed box, ported and bandpass boxes seem to suffer from that "one note wonder" syndrome that I hate so much.

I still have to get a new head unit. I'd like to find one like my old clarion, had a separate eq that split up all the channels and you could adjust everything from crossover frequency down to delay. All controlled from the head unit. The problem I'm running into is looks, call me a geezer but car stereos today are hideous. I wish Honda made a factory radio with features like that.

I don't expect to get too fancy with this setup. I figure a halfway decent head unit with my zeus and I'll be happy but who knows I've been away from hifi for so long I might have started something my wife will regret.
THat's why this impressed me...you improved from a free air setup about a 1000% especially for an 8" where you want it to punch when needed.

As for old old school: I would take my old c. 1988 Kenwood EQ with physical adjustments and sep bass pot any day over most of what these digital units are doing with all the prefab eq selections. Maybe that's why I like the higher end ones with the spatial type eq thing...keeping the sound within finger control.

I don't know enough on the current head units to figure what's best. I'm sure there's plenty to keep you busy on research though. Look forward to seeing how it progresses!

·
Registered
836 Posts
So recently I've been getting very interested in learning how to make fiberglass molds to build myself a sub box. Now that I've seen this I'm already saving money to buy everything I need. I'm going to learn with building inserts for my floor to cover the rear seat lock bars. Then I plan to do the sub enclosures. To finish up with my fiberglass bug I'm going to work on building a countertop in the back to make it a mini RV!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Started the driver side today!

First thing was to re-route the factory wiring. None of them had to be lengthened just sent across the top and down.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts