Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone did this already, my apologies. This is my "low tech" solution to adding bass to my system. No formulas, no measuring equipment, no past experience, "just do it". I didn't want to put a subwoofer enclosure in the rear, but I wanted "decent" bass. Picked up an OEM subwoofer on Ebay, for cheap. Removed the original woofer and replaced it with an 8" one. Made a front baffle out of plywood (already had it). Used two pieces, cut hole in one to fit basket and hole in the other to fit speaker rim. Glued two pieces together. If you have a router, it would be easier. Cut top of baffle appox.
1" above rim cutout and appox. 1 1/2" on the bottom. Sides were cut using "eyeing", not that critical as you need to cut it down to fit inside OEM cover. You do need to measure your subwoofer to see how much you can cut from the frame though. The original frame is not going to fit inside OEM cover. I cut out front of enclosure to fit plywood baffle and epoxied it to enclosure. I then kept cutting down sides till cover would fit over it.

The inside of the subwoofer enclosure was done like Built B16A's. The only difference was I didn't seal vent. My sub needed 0.3 cu ft., since enclosure is about half of that, if I sealed it, the air in enclosure would prevent my cone from full excursion. This would mean less output and poorer response.
I installed sound absorbing material behind enclosure in center console. I had originally planned to cut out half of the back of enclosure and seal the cavity in the console, but decided too much work. I didn't cut subwoofer cover since it doesn't vibrate when playing subwoofer. It also looks OEM, nobody would know I'm running an 8".

Bass is adequate, not window shaking. It's not as "tight" as a sealed enclosure, but not boomy either. For what I spent, cant complain. I dont listen to "heavy metal" and I dont play so loud that people outside can hear. Haven't compared it to stock OEM subwoofer, but will do so when I get a chance. Again, this is a low cost, low tech, no experience necessary install.:D

1st photo: dark black area with wood is front baffle.
2nd photo: cut speaker frame.
3rd photo: finished look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Awesome job. I love a stock look. I was thinking about an 8" in the OEM box with a secondary box mounted under the dash attached to the main box via ducting.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That's great. I've been wanting to upgrade that sub and didn't want to waste the cargo space. Consider your idea poached.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does this "hit" or does it just provide deep base?

I am very close to breaking down and having this local shop I trust build a custom enclosure in that spot on my SC, I am not sure I can create a box with proper internal space that is quality enough to handle a correctly powered 10.

Looks good though man, I am really curious as to how it sounds..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this "hit" or does it just provide deep base?

I am very close to breaking down and having this local shop I trust build a custom enclosure in that spot on my SC, I am not sure I can create a box with proper internal space that is quality enough to handle a correctly powered 10.

Looks good though man, I am really curious as to how it sounds..
Remember, its just an 8" sub in a too-small enclosure. As I mentioned, its much better than just having door speakers, but it wont rattle your windows. I'm pretty sure it goes deeper than the stock OEM subwoofer, but dont know if its as tight. We're having a meet on the 20th of this month, so I can compare it with the stock OEM subwoofer. Will post sometime after this.
(Just remember, the larger the speaker cone, the more capable of playing louder and going deeper. I dont believe an 8" is going to go lower than around 40Hz -3 dbs.):)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome job. I love a stock look. I was thinking about an 8" in the OEM box with a secondary box mounted under the dash attached to the main box via ducting.
The Bostons needed a .3 cu/ft sealed box. If you can custom make a box that utilizes the space behind the OEM enclosure, it'll be pretty close to this figure. Since I didn't know how to do this, I put polyfill in the space. Maybe you can figure out a way.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Remember, its just an 8" sub in a too-small enclosure. As I mentioned, its much better than just having door speakers, but it wont rattle your windows. I'm pretty sure it goes deeper than the stock OEM subwoofer, but dont know if its as tight. We're having a meet on the 20th of this month, so I can compare it with the stock OEM subwoofer. Will post sometime after this.
(Just remember, the larger the speaker cone, the more capable of playing louder and going deeper. I dont believe an 8" is going to go lower than around 40Hz -3 dbs.):)
Yea im not looking to move a ton of air or anything, I talked to the shop and they recommended a JLw3 8" with the custom enclosure they would construct. They had a Vette in there they had just done that had a custom box in similar fashion with a w3 6.5" in it and the difference from say my stock SC 6.5 was 10 fold, it "sounded" like a sub. We will see though, I got the authorization from the wife to take it in and have them price all this. Ill be sure post pictures or just the info they give me if I dont end up going that route. Aside from a guy that just stuck an 8" with a speaker ring on the stock enclosure I havent seen an SC with anything else in the stock location. Truthfully that makes me want to have them do it even more, I want to be that monkey shot into space.

Thanks for the response btw, this forum is great thanks to owners such as yourself

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea im not looking to move a ton of air or anything, I talked to the shop and they recommended a JLw3 8" with the custom enclosure they would construct. They had a Vette in there they had just done that had a custom box in similar fashion with a w3 6.5" in it and the difference from say my stock SC 6.5 was 10 fold, it "sounded" like a sub. We will see though, I got the authorization from the wife to take it in and have them price all this. Ill be sure post pictures or just the info they give me if I dont end up going that route. Aside from a guy that just stuck an 8" with a speaker ring on the stock enclosure I havent seen an SC with anything else in the stock location. Truthfully that makes me want to have them do it even more, I want to be that monkey shot into space.

Thanks for the response btw, this forum is great thanks to owners such as yourself
Mahalo, I have been the beneficiary of many posts also and wanted to share back. Please post pictures of their enclosure, am interested to see what they did.:)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I might be kinda late on this, but from what I can recall on my 04, there isn't a whole lot of extra space behind the factory enclosure. I had this same notion originally, but when I removed the factory sub, I was suprised to find limited space. They may be able to remove some bracing and relocate some wiring to get a little extra space.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I might be kinda late on this, but from what I can recall on my 04, there isn't a whole lot of extra space behind the factory enclosure. I had this same notion originally, but when I removed the factory sub, I was suprised to find limited space. They may be able to remove some bracing and relocate some wiring to get a little extra space.
I have the SC and they want to use that space under the console, currently its just a useless open tray space that do dont need considering I could fit a baby in the center console stroage. I have an appointment with them this week and am pump after seeing their other custom installs. I will post pics and info as the process goes on

·
Registered
14 Posts
If anyone did this already, my apologies. This is my "low tech" solution to adding bass to my system. No formulas, no measuring equipment, no past experience, "just do it". I didn't want to put a subwoofer enclosure in the rear, but I wanted "decent" bass. Picked up an OEM subwoofer on Ebay, for cheap. Removed the original woofer and replaced it with an 8" one. Made a front baffle out of plywood (already had it). Used two pieces, cut hole in one to fit basket and hole in the other to fit speaker rim. Glued two pieces together. If you have a router, it would be easier. Cut top of baffle appox.
1" above rim cutout and appox. 1 1/2" on the bottom. Sides were cut using "eyeing", not that critical as you need to cut it down to fit inside OEM cover. You do need to measure your subwoofer to see how much you can cut from the frame though. The original frame is not going to fit inside OEM cover. I cut out front of enclosure to fit plywood baffle and epoxied it to enclosure. I then kept cutting down sides till cover would fit over it.

The inside of the subwoofer enclosure was done like Built B16A's. The only difference was I didn't seal vent. My sub needed 0.3 cu ft., since enclosure is about half of that, if I sealed it, the air in enclosure would prevent my cone from full excursion. This would mean less output and poorer response.
I installed sound absorbing material behind enclosure in center console. I had originally planned to cut out half of the back of enclosure and seal the cavity in the console, but decided too much work. I didn't cut subwoofer cover since it doesn't vibrate when playing subwoofer. It also looks OEM, nobody would know I'm running an 8".

Bass is adequate, not window shaking. It's not as "tight" as a sealed enclosure, but not boomy either. For what I spent, cant complain. I dont listen to "heavy metal" and I dont play so loud that people outside can hear. Haven't compared it to stock OEM subwoofer, but will do so when I get a chance. Again, this is a low cost, low tech, no experience necessary install.:D

1st photo: dark black area with wood is front baffle.
2nd photo: cut speaker frame.
3rd photo: finished look.
I wanted to say KUDOS on the great work! I saw this about a week ago and while I was on vacation this past week I picked up a subwoofer I had in storage and your post inspired me to try this on my own! So thank you very much for the inspiration! I was just wondering how and where you installed the amplifier for it? I am also wanting to go with a more "factory" look for my Element. Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts