Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be great to to make a bed in back for camping. I thought of just throwing an air mattress down, but the only problem with that is where do you put all yer stuff when you are sleeping??

I thought of making something that will raise the mattress off the floor by about 20 inches. This way you can store anything from the stock seats to gear under the bed and it will still be there when you wake up :)

It could be made out of sections of PVC pipe and be designed to tear down into modular sections that can be easily stored in a bag. with a nice air mattress on top. Its really tough going on a camping trip in the E as once you fill it up with gear, you have to leave it all outside if there is any hope of sleeping inside.

Any bright ideas??

·
Registered
957 Posts
Remove the back seats and slide in a couple of cots!

I'm contemplating the purchase of a couple of these @ $46.75 ea.:

Or possibly a couple of these for more daytime versatility @ $35.50 ea.:

Check em' all out at:
http://www.campingstation.net/chairscots.html

I wish someone would come up with a tightly woven bungee net that could lay flat along the roof headliner for even more storage up top.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wish someone would come up with a tightly woven bungee net that could lay flat along the roof headliner for even more storage up top.
I have done that with some bungee cords -- I have ordered a net to replace them. There are places all around the top to hook the bungees. I keep lightweight stuff up there. It keeps the heat from the sunroof out, too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, those beds are ok for one person, but I want it wall to wall bed with no gaps inbetween.
Also, if you measure those above cots you are considering buying you will find out that they are too long and will not fit

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:0212edbcb0="pookSter"]well, those beds are ok for one person, but I want it wall to wall bed with no gaps inbetween.
Also, if you measure those above cots you are considering buying you will find out that they are too long and will not fit[/quote:0212edbcb0]

Not if you have the tailgate down and a cabana on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not if you have the tailgate down and a cabana on.
Lol Emass, u got me on that one

I sometimes camp in the middle of a city...don't think that would go over too well. I prefer a STEEL tent anyways :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
on our trip from dalllas to san diego we had the honda roof box and the cabanna and a tent. first we took the back seats out completley(very easy to do) and laid down a large cut to fit piece of that thick foam that looks like egg cartons, then we put down a thick comfortor. we put all the lite stuff in the roof box and the rest in the back. we soon found that the cabbanna is nice but you cant drive to town for ice or what not without taking it off , so that was used only once. but what really worked was , set the tent up and store all the junk in it and sleep in the car, it was my wife, me and our 40lb dog , we were all comfortable even with the tailgait shut. the front seats slide way forward , so unless you are over 6ft tall it should be ok. yoga matts look like they might work also.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:ab98c832c1="pookSter"]I sometimes camp in the middle of a city[/quote:ab98c832c1]

Isn't the technical term for camping in a city "homeless"? :lol: :lol: :lol: (j/k)

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:f6819b54ef="pookSter"]How could any of us be homeless.
....Home is where the E is![/quote:f6819b54ef]

Heh, rock on Pook. :lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I haven't tried this yet....but this was my idea.....leave the seats in.....lay them flat like Honda shows.....store your smaller stuff in the front foot wells and under the back seats....then plop your air mattress on top....and presto chango....bed and cargo and people happily live as one in the E!

I have already bought the mattress, but just haven't had the opportunity to try it out on a trip yet *sigh*

Hopefully soon there will be a break in my life so I can go away for at least a weekend camping trip!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried this. I found the comfort ok, but I still prefer the mattress off the seats. It has an unstable feel. Also, there is not enough storrage under the seats so they have to go.

Good thought...hope if works for some.
I still think I am going to have to make something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2 cents...

My wife and I have slept right on top of the "flattened" seats a couple of times, not ideal but we actually slept pretty well (might even be better after some tequila...).

We are going to try an air mattress/aerobed right on top of the flattened seats next time. We have found that we can actually store a lot of gear under the seats...maybe we just have a lot of low-profile gear, floor pump, camelbacks, etc. Putting a mattress right on top of the cleared out floor would work but for us it would be a pain clearing out all of our "crap". Cots would work but that would entail hauling more bulky "gear"....moving further away from a more simple system which we crave.

·
Registered
176 Posts
just a thought-- what if you only inflated the air mattress about 50 or 75%? the bottom would contour to the unevenness of the folded down seats. i dunno, just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone tried this. Flipping the seats up, and then inflatting a the air matress in the back. I have heard of people just removing them. But I am wondering if there is enough room for two grown adults to sleep and....maneuver :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I guess it just depends on how much you like the other full grown adult :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking that the air mattress with the seats taken out seems like the best idea, but like a few people have said, where would you put your stuff?

I guess if you wanna sleep and "manuever" in the E, you gotta pack light!

Happy manuevering, I mean, Motoring!,

Chris
Western MA E guy

·
Registered
116 Posts
You put your stuff on the front seat floor, the front seat an on the dash. The seats still push and lean forward. We camped with 2 foam cushions on the flat floor. We have a tent that goes over the back hatch and tail gate. We put a pad on the hump that the front seats leave when pushed forward for the 2 big dogs and we camped for 4 nights that way. The cooler stayed on the ground BTW :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:d023427849="Macromonkey"]Has anyone tried this. Flipping the seats up, and then inflatting a the air matress in the back. I have heard of people just removing them. But I am wondering if there is enough room for two grown adults to sleep and....maneuver :wink: :wink:[/quote:d023427849]

Yes, there's another whole thread in this section with a picture. Looks like a perfect fit too.

Re the comments about not having room for stuff with the mattress on the floor, how about this: 1) get a roof rack attached storage box, and 2) cargo nets! I have one in the regular place just inside the rear hatch for those small grab items, but it seems it would hold alot of bigger items too. But, I was also thinking that the two hooks at the top inside of the hatch (they are under sliding covers and I think are used to anchor child carseats in the back) might be perfect to add another larger cargo net. This could be a good temp storage spot for when the air matteress is occupying the floor. Obviously you shouldn't leave things in it when driving, due to the obstructed rear view.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts