Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this problem 4 months ago and haven't found a solution yet. I live in Florida.
It takes 3-6 minutes after engine start for A/C to blow cold air. Fan works fine . A/C is cold as soon as the compressor powers on. Tech says system is fully charged.What is causing the delay ?

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I posted this problem 4 months ago and haven't found a solution yet. I live in Florida.
It takes 3-6 minutes after engine start for A/C to blow cold air. Fan works fine . A/C is cold as soon as the compressor powers on. Tech says system is fully charged.What is causing the delay ?
If you are saying the a/c compressor does not turn on right away when the a/c is turned on at the interior control panel then my question is, how do you know?

If you are saying the air out of the vents is not cold right away when the a/c is turned on then that may be normal depending on the vehicle interior temperature. Those two symptoms are not the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the hood up, I'm observing that the compressor clutch does not engage no matter what the interior controls are set to.The fan blows but no cold air until the compressor engages. I'm was ASE certified before I retired but never worked on Hondas. Any direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Anything that inhibits compressor operation can cause this. Compressor clutch gap too wide would be a mechanical reason. Quick test for this is to tap on the compressor clutch plate when the a/c is turned on and see if the compressor clutch engages.

Also, anything that affects proper power supply to the compressor, either power or ground side. ECM grounds the a/c compressor relay if it is happy. ECM is happy if refrigerant pressure switch input and evaporator temperature sensor inputs are correct to the HVAC control panel. A whole lot of electrickery going on. You need a wiring diagram and some testing done. Strange that the theoretical tech that said the a/c refrigerant was full did not mention or offer to do some hands on tests. Maybe he did. Maybe he does not know how. Can't tell from here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts