Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know that we're a good way off from those hot humid days of summer but they will be back. And so will those hot humid nights, camping when every thing sticks to you and you wake up with a face full of fur from that cute loveable furry child known as our dog and then there wea that panting all night. I know that some of you are thinking if you want the comforts of home stay there or if you want it all get a motor home but this form is for those of us who are inovative and know that we do have a winEbago. Wow with that out of the way I can get on with idea of having A/C for camping. Guess we could just turn on the one that the E has but I'm thinking that it is putting unneeded hours on the engin. And those big dollar motor homes don't run there engins all night so why should we!!! My idea is to take a small portable window A/C and adapting 4" flex ducts to the supply and return and putting them in the window (making it look nice and sealed well) This will be good as long as there is an outlet but I'm rondering if there is a small generator that is quiet and has enough amps to run the A/C when you not close to an outlet. So that's my thoughts on the idea. 8)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the dog house A/C looks great 2500 btu's that'll keep you cool on the hotest and humidest of summer's 380 watts 3.4amps (cooling) this would work on the smallest of genorators it's pricey buy but for boaters campers and owners of the great winEbago this is perfect;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talking about the honda generators I like the eu1000 (the one we were just talking about) but in looking if they are priced close to each other I think that I would be inclined to go with the eu2000 it's just as quiet but it has enough juce to run a home fridge. this would be nice in a power outage at home
now on the doghouse A/C I was wondering or pondering about having an atachment something like you would see on an aircraft that you could hook up the air ducts to. A quick disconect sort of thing that could be sealed when not atached to the A/C. It would be nice if they were on the tait gate or on the upper tailgate about where the "element" name tag is. the thought behind having the A/C atachment built in is while on a trip when the family goes to eat or to the restroom the gen. and A/C could be turned on to keep the pooches from cooking. the generator and doghouse A/C could be kept on one of those racks that go into a trailer hitch reciever, they could be covered by a shroud made of diamond plate (or something secure like it) to keep it from getting rained on and most of all being tampered with. It could be vented for the condensor on the A/C and to prevent heat build up from the generator. Any thoughts on how something like that could be made and made to where it would look nice and be secure from weather and those that would like to take them or open them up to put stuff in (heck I was little hellcat boy once a long time ago but never the less) I am looking forward to getting ideas and getting started on this mod:-D

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys that are willing to fork out $500 for a 2500 BTU air conditioner. Send some of that money my way if you have too much of it.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can do this

This would work just as well on the E

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Newest Therm-Assure mini-air conditioning link - pricey, but folks who use it in their small campers love it. Usually see them on eBay for about $425

http://therm-assure.com/index.html

Jamie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Air conditioning

I am building an air conditioning system for Ellie that I plan on running overnight when camping. I live in Florida and love weekend trips to the keys, but it sure does get hot.

Mine will be ice-based, but using an efficient heat exchanger, insulation, and plumbing methods will maximize the heat transfer. My thermodynamics calculations have it cooling the E for two people for one night if I use my small cooler, or two nights if I use my 40qt with thermoelectric running as well.

The goal is to have cold air to combat body heat buildup and condense the humidity out of the air.

When I am done, I will try and post a few pics and info detailing the cooling system. Parts so far have come to about $50, not including the coolers that I already had.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
That's kind of cool. What pump are you using? I still have an Eheim pump laying around from my old watercooled PC setup.

A heater core out of some random junk yard car, a 12V fan, some tubing, and a few wires should do the trick. Not sure how great it would do at removing humidity, but it'd be better than nothing.

I also don't know about the whole 2 night thing. Definitely post pics when you get it done though. Being an HVAC guy, you've got my attention. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts

The goal is to have cold air to combat body heat buildup and condense the humidity out of the air.....
An ice-based air conditioning system that removes water from the air?

I am very intrigued...

Jamie

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
An ice-based air conditioning system that removes water from the air?

I am very intrigued...

Jamie
Think of how your car's heating system works. Now replace the hot coolant with ice cold water and you've got yourself a cooling system.

Chilled water systems work great and are what normally is used to cool down bigger buildings.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm definitely interested in your efforts - I built a "swamp cooler" last spring in preparation for summer camping, but gave up on the project due to the enormous amounts of water it pumped into the air - yes, it literally "rained" in our camper half way thru the night.

Keep us updated!

Jamie

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I'm definitely interested in your efforts - I built a "swamp cooler" last spring in preparation for summer camping, but gave up on the project due to the enormous amounts of water it pumped into the air - yes, it literally "rained" in our camper half way thru the night.

Keep us updated!

Jamie
Swamp coolers work great in low humidity areas such as Arizona and New Mexico. North Carolina or any area in the south east doesn't really strike me as such a place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts