Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty sure my a/c compressor is toast as it's making quite a racket. Thought it was my water pump at first, but realized the noise change when i turned on a/c. I bought the E brand new with NO a/c, but was installed a couple weeks later as the dealer hooked me up on the signing. So now that i live in northern Vermont, i'd rather get rid of a/c than repair it. I have the factory service manual but it says nothing about the E without a/c. There had to be an idler pulley in place or a shorter serpentine belt? instead of the compressor pulley.. any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated as the racket is starting to drive me nuts!! thanks

p.s. just found a thread on here about this, made me realize i don't want to remove whole system, just a/c compressor and refrig..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lizzurd

will have that done by the pro's. Still can't seem to find out if there is an idler pulley to replace compressor pulley though??

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
maybe you could just install the non-A/C belt and bypass the compressor pulley completely.

You wouldn't have to remove all the A/C stuff (handy in you ever want to fix it in the future) and you'd be sure that was the problem. You'd need to install the shorter belt anyway, and at least you could verify the compressor is the problem before removing everything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, its not a/c compressor, Idler Pulley is toast!

Noise is a little louder now and after getting under the hood while engine is running i'm positive its the tension pulley for serpentine belt. Any replaced this yet?? Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced tensioner pulley to find my timing chain must be toast!

The pulley bearing was worn out but the noise didn't go away. After a few minutes under the hood with the engine running I can now tell that timing chain must be worn out. It's making a knocking/rattling sound intermittently and seems to be coming from the top end off the timing chain. Bummer! So my big question is what do I want to replace when I do this?? What about oil pump chain?? I'm going to attempt to do this myself.

Parts List:
Timing chain
Both cam chain guides
Tensioner arm
Auto-tensioner
O-ring(chain case)
O-ring(CKP sensor)
O-ring(oil control selenoid valve)

Cam sprockets???????

CKP pulse plate?????

And is there an easy way to look and see if it's chain for sure?? Maybe pulling valve cover off? Thanks people!!!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
worn timing chain?! :shock:

How many miles on your E? Do you know the service history?

Have you ever adjusted the valves? Maybe they're responsible for the noise (long shot, but can't hurt to mention I guess) .Should valves at least every 60-100k miles.

See this thread for valve adjustment....you'll have access to the chain too.

good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe valves but,

worn timing chain?!

How many miles on your E? Do you know the service history?

but the noise is definitely coming from the top left of camshafts. I have 123,000 miles on her and I've had it since new and have done all the maintainance myself(when it should be done). I have driven it all over the country twice pulling a heavy uhaul trailer. Thought I'd have tranny issues by now but its working great.

I haven't checked valves, I know that should be done at 110k so I'm overdue. Guess I'll go there first and see whats going on. Thanks for your insight!!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have 123,000 miles on her and I've had it since new and have done all the maintainance myself(when it should be done).
I wouldn't expect there to be any timing change issues with those low miles and even just "average" service.....but stranger things have happened I guess.

Still, i'd look to another cause of the noise if it were me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts