Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow element owners, first post here, hope someone is able to help me out with this. I've scoured the Googlenet for an easy solution, but I'm afraid i'll have to take it into a shop at this point.

I was cleaning out my element all over and when I had finished, I noticed the A/C light went out, also my vent fans were not working. The light on the fan knob is on, but in all settings the fans do not start. No cold air, no warm air coming out of the vents, no noise whatsoever.

First, checked all fuses under steering wheel (Fuse #14), then under hood. All good. Also confirmed that all Relays are working fine by testing the resistance while giving power to the relays, all clicked on, all gave out a relatively low ohm reading indicating that the relays are closing.

I then checked the transistor under the glove box. Many people have had issues with it being the culprit. I didn't think it would be a problem since most people would still have the A/C light on still, but I checked it anyway. Took it out completely, opened it up and put my meter to it. All tests indicated that the transistor leads were good (infinite resistance), the fuse on the transistor board was fine (continuity).

Before reinstalling the transistor, I bypassed the transistor and put power directly to the blower. It worked! The blower turned on. This part was a little confusing to me, but I assumed the transistor was fine anyway and that my problem is up ahead before it hits the transistor.

Next I had a look at my a/c condenser fan and my radiator fan. Put power directly to both, a/c condenser fine worked, radiator fan did not move. I recently replaced both fans hoping that the a/c stopped working because one fan was bad. A/c still not working...

* For those of you who may be reading this trying to troubleshoot their a/c, I'm pretty sure that both fans on your radiator are controlled by a temperature switch. When the temperature of the monitored equipment hits a certain point, the fans will turn on. These fans are most likely separate from your a/c inside the vehicle. I could be wrong though, someone correct me if I am. *

Last thing I checked was the control console. I took that off, brought out my meter, found the a/c circuitry, examined the light bulb which appeared to be in working condition, tested the tiny push button which closed the circuit giving continuity. That's as far as my testing went with that, I'm not as experienced with troubleshooting electronics as I wish I were. The only other thing I can think of now is replacing the entire console (assuming the problem lies in the console area). I say this because I recall wiping down the console button/knob area with a cloth back and forth, maybe I broke something in that process?

What's really bothering me is that the A/C light is actually out. In videos I have watched, their A/C light will still be on while they go about troubleshooting and repairing. I think the fact that the light is OFF is significant, like some electronic monitoring is telling the fans to stop working. But I already had cold started the blower motor and ruled out that the motor was bad.

Could it be possible that my A/C needs a recharge and because it's empty my entire fan system will turn off? I would expect my fan to work still.

I'm really scratching my head over this, I hope someone is able to shed some light on my dilemma here.

Thanks for reading, glad to have finally become a member. :030:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved!

Tore the covers off under the glove compartment, dropped the glove compartment, and found an unplugged wire harness...

I've been paranoid ever since, I find it hard to believe that a wire harness could just come undone on it's own.

Learned a TON of useful tricks about the A/C system, I had no idea the element had it's own troubleshooting for the A/C built in.

I owe it all to the vast knowledge and resources that this site has accumulated, thanks element owners! Rock on!

-agentsmolder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I've been having the same issue with my AC. Bypassed the condenser and the blower motor worked fine. Pulled dash apart and found nothing wrong. I'm at a loss here. It's been a hot summer and having the AC working would be wonderful. It's super cold when it works...have you had any luck fixing it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts