Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird problem on my 2005 EX. I turn on the A/C and the radiator fans turn on & the engine rpms change just as we expect with the compressor clutch engaging, but no cool air comes through the system. The car was driven for four hours this afternoon, in town and on the freeway, and at one point it did blow wonderfully cool air, briefly, for about 90 seconds but then stopped again. As far as I can tell, the air coming through the vents is not cooled at all.

What could be doing this?

There is a CEL active right now - 0325 Knock Sensor not communicating with the computer. It goes on and off. I don't think those issues could be related?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If compressor is turning and fan is not blowing cold its often a symptom of low refridgerant charge. Another symptom is freezing of the low pressure line. A shop will charge with refridgerant and/or uv dye and check for leaks. Or get a diy recharge kit from auto parts store and see if it works for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've learned more and it looks like my A/C coil is failing and the clutch isn't being pulled into place. Worked this morning when the engine was cold but didn't work the rest of a hundred mile day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had an issue where it worked fine but at once it got very hot outside it didn't. Using the diy can and gauge is good for topping off but if the system is opened up using more accurate gauges are needed. I vacuumed out the refrigerant and refilled by weight, A/C been working fine for the last few years.

If replacing the compressor, I had good luck with a Denso (installed 6yr ago). I pulled the plastic nose off, pulled the radiator and condenser. Everything at that point was very easy to access. One bolt was very very corroded and the easy access did make it easy to get it off. Job looks more intimidating than it really is

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have read about the AC clutch material wearing down and the air gap between the clutch and the compressor increases to a point that the coil is no longer strong enough to engage the compressor. Some have adjusted the shims to get this air gap back to it's nominal gap. I don't recall the exact procedure on how to remove the shims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird problem on my 2005 EX. I turn on the A/C and the radiator fans turn on & the engine rpms change just as we expect with the compressor clutch engaging, but no cool air comes through the system. The car was driven for four hours this afternoon, in town and on the freeway, and at one point it did blow wonderfully cool air, briefly, for about 90 seconds but then stopped again. As far as I can tell, the air coming through the vents is not cooled at all.

There is a CEL active right now - 0325 Knock Sensor not communicating with the computer. It goes on and off. I don't think those issues could be related?
Could be as simple as the compressor relay is going bad, mine did. Two for $5 On Amazon. Swap it out with the horn relay to see if it works, they are the same...hope it works..did for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey Manpace, something happened to me. It was a relay-much cheaper than a COMPRESSOR. R4

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the coil with one from a salvage vehicle but it was broken also. :( Finally put in a new one and now it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts