Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perusing through the many threads on the front accessory always on mods, I had a thought.
Instead of doing a bunch of rewiring, would it be possible to do the following:
Use an Add-a-Circuit on Fuse #2 (which controls the rear outlet)
Take the lead from the Add-a-Circuit and vampire splice into the Yel/Wht wire coming out of Fuse #18.
Remove #18 fuse.

This should (in my non-electrical mind) give you always on fused power to the front accessory socket.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that would a: have the front outlets on constantly like you want, but b: have the relay for the rear outlet constantly energized which WOULD lead to a dead battery as relays draw 250mA of current and normal parisitic current draw is 80mA for all th computers and other evectronics combined in the truck.

sorry, no cigar.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, got it.
I figured it was too easy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
in theory it would work if you removed the relay behind the glovebox, then you wouldnt have the current draw all the time. and a: the rear outlet would not work or b: you could jumper the green/white and white/black at the relay socket behind the glovebox after doing what you suggested and all the outlet would be hot all the time and no exxessive current draw but that which is plugged into the outlets pulls.

seems that most want at least one of them switched and one hot hence the other thread suggestions. but if you want them both hot them go for it. or you could have bought a GM as they always wire their outlets hot all the time :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: GM. Been there, done that.

Ya know, that is an excellent suggestion.
All I'd be using it for is GPS or cell phone charger, so very low draw.
If I need to use an inverter I can use the third socket in my SC center console.

So let me make sure:
Have radio code & disconnect battery. :D
Do what I suggested in my first post.
Then pull the relay, jumper it with a deal like the photo below and I'm done?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
:lol: GM. Been there, done that.

Ya know, that is an excellent suggestion.
All I'd be using it for is GPS or cell phone charger, so very low draw.
If I need to use an inverter I can use the third socket in my SC center console.

So let me make sure:
Have radio code & disconnect battery. :D
Do what I suggested in my first post.
Then pull the relay, jumper it with a deal like the photo below and I'm done?

yes, and put the 15 amp fuse that you pulled from 18 into 2. you will be limited to 15 amps of current on all 3 outlets now though as opposed to 15 between the front 2 and 10 on the rear. dont sub it with a higher fuse than the 15 though, the wiring is not rated to handle it and you could end up cooking wiring, fusebox, all of the above. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!
Collected all the stuff today but I can't get to the work for another couple of weeks.
Then it's a monster weekend of mods - hitch, hitch wiring, cabin air filters, this mod, run wire for my gps up through the dash, and the USA iPod deal.

Then it's two weeks in Wyoming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts