Honda Element Owners Club banner
981 - 1000 of 1824 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
I should have posted a query before buying and solicited opinions. Instead I acted on impulse and REI's customer reviews.

Went there this afternoon and all they had were 100 gram fuel canisters. Will be interesting to see how many java presses one will handle.

Bought the Jetboil itself at LL Bean -- $10 cheaper than REI. I have free shipping from Bean so that works out, unfortunately they don't ship fuel.

:)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
And I went with the camo motif. Very earthy. $89.95 at Bean ($99.95 at REI). Compliments my blaze orange LL Bean mug.
Jetboil® Personal Cook System

And to hold creamer, an LL Bean stainless steel water bottle. They come in several colors. Black is sharp, matches the teardrop tongue box.
Bean Canteen, 18 oz.

The 12 oz bottle is cuter, but we needed more creamer. I use this at home for iced tea.
Bean Canteen, 12 oz.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 · (Edited)
That is pretty slick looking.

Looks like propellant would put it in orbit.

And it can run on camel dung!

"Works with any fuel: sticks, dry grass, heather, bark, pine cones, and even camel dung! "

What about dog dung? A survivalists dream.

Dang, Paul, it does s'mores! And I'm tallying up these accessories. DANGER!! DANGER!!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

Went there this afternoon and all they had were 100 gram fuel canisters. Will be interesting to see how many java presses one will handle.

These iso-butane canisters are basically interchangable. There may be some differences in the exact mix of butane and propane gases, but as long as they have same screw valve (Lindel), you can use various brands with the same stove (MSR, Snowpeak, Primus, etc).
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001_Stoves+and+Fuel&cat=4500548&hist=cat%2C4500001_Stoves+and+Fuel%3AStoves+and+Fuel^cat%2C4500548%3ACanisters
The latest trick in using these canisters involves inverting them during use.
http://www.rei.com/product/741669

Primus now sells pans with heat exchangers like the Jet boil system
http://www.rei.com/product/767944

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
All this talk about jet fuel and propane for coffee... am I the only one who still uses Naptha? Stuff burns bright and hot, doesn't require multiple canisters for multiple devices, sells cheap and is CLEAN! I have two Coleman lanterns and a dual stove that still run beautifully. They're both at least 15 years old if not older, dunno when my parents got em. Can't wait to pick them up again when I go back this winter.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Some nights we do leave the stove and clean pans out on the camp table, along with a few water bottles. But everything else goes inside, whether in bear, racoon, or porkiepine country.
I've always wondered about this. We have left the stove out, but I have nightmares about a bear carrying it off into the woods to get that one crusty burnt piece of pasta stuck to the grate...:shock:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #989 ·
I've always wondered about this. We have left the stove out, but I have nightmares about a bear carrying it off into the woods to get that one crusty burnt piece of pasta stuck to the grate...:shock:
The bear would probably like the stove to cook all the meat he's going to get when he smashes your car window and steals your cooler.

I don't leave any cooking gear out, either. There's no doubt aromatic grease residue on my stove.

And I've come too close to too many skunks this past month! Those little buggers start scouting the campground at dusk.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
In most campgrounds it's the smaller critters that more likely to be sniffing around - birds, *****, chipmunks. They'll get at stuff even during the day, so I've gotten into the habit of packing up after each meal. In a campground with bear warnings, clean camp policy (e.g. Canadian Nat Parks) or bear boxes I'll put the stove away as well. I suppose I could use my dog to test whether there are significant residual smells on the stove, most likely on the windscreen.

The only night time visitors that I recall were a couple of porcupines, one of which took a bite out of a rubber mud flap (in eastern Idaho years ago).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Nice Jetboil HC. I went on an extended trip with some people and one of the guys had a jetboil in his pack. It worked great for him and his partners food. It really did boil his pasta water fast. My little pocket stove works fast but not Jetboil fast. They do all use the same iso/butane fuel and you can find some better deals on those cans if you shop around and check different brands. I have found the larger cans to be around $4-$5 each. The larger cans will last for a good long weekend of heavy cooking and maybe longer with the jetboil.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You're gonna LOVE your jetboil HC. I've got a couple of friends who have them and they ALL swear by them, I'd buy one, but I'm forgetful when it comes to buying fuel:oops: So I've gotten REALLY good at cooking over a campfire to make up for it.

As for the skunks, one of the rangers was suggesting that a slightly above conversation level whistle and tossing a few pebbles around it would scare it off, without the critter thinking you were a predator. Had the opportunity to use the technique a couple of times and it works beautifully. Apparently they've had a bit of a skunk infestation by Two Harbors camp sites lately...

Oh, yeah, nd I love the idea of using the airtight bottle for creamer. Gonna steal that idea for my trips, and add in a sugar bottle too:D

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 · (Edited)
You're gonna LOVE your jetboil HC.

As for the skunks, one of the rangers was suggesting that a slightly above conversation level whistle and tossing a few pebbles around it would scare it off, without the critter thinking you were a predator.

Oh, yeah, nd I love the idea of using the airtight bottle for creamer. Gonna steal that idea for my trips, and add in a sugar bottle too:D
Thanks for the Jetboil boosterism. :) Am looking forward to using it.

Since Labor Day, we have had two extremely Close Encounters of the Skunk Kind. At the campground, with no smelly result. Both at dusk.

First time was returning from a long walk and it was very near dark, Gidget and I came around the front of the Element toward the driver door and she lunged at something I could not make out other than to detect a dark blob. Had my Surefire flashlight in hand and flicked it on - OMIGOD - and yanked Gidget back in front of the car. The skunk calmly scampered off back to the tall grass.

Second time was two weeks ago. Not as dark, the sun was setting but I was still reading without a headlamp. Sitting on the edge of the campsite (and the edge of the mountain). Heard rustling below -- so loud I assumed it was a deer, which is a common occurence there. Gidget stood at attention. She started intently keeping watch on a path up to the campsite. I was engrossed in my book but followed her eyes. Suddenly a skunk pops its head up at the top of the path. I flew out of my chair, blanket, book and all, and yanked Gidget back and away from there. The skunk calmly turned around and went next door to the neighbors.

The rangers say the skunks are more likely to retreat than spray.

Perhaps I will calm down enough in one of these encounters to take a photo. Unlikely I'd pose with it.

:shock:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 · (Edited)
This weekend was the Jetboil debut and I love it! Do heartily recommend reading the directions carefully before using it. I did not. And so the first time out ignition was a miniature of a Saturn V rocket launch.

This thing does boil water fast. It's very compact, super light.

And a couple gratuitous Gidget pics. Apparently the dirt in our campsite was tasty....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
This weekend was the Jetboil debut and I love it! Do heartily recommend reading the directions carefully before using it. I did not. And so the first time out ignition was a miniature of a Saturn V rocket launch.
Glad you liked it ... and I tried to warn you in post 1539. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are in a National Park a good reason to NOT leave the stove out. From the GSMNP brochure.

"For these reasons, National Park Rangers issue citations for feeding bears and for improper food storage. Feeding bears and improper food storage can result in fines of up to $5,000 and jail sentences lasting up to six months. Visitors are urged to view all wildlife at a safe distance and to never leave food or garbage unattended. Garbage Kills Bears!"

This includes anything to do with food prep including your stove.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
Glad you liked it ... and I tried to warn you in post 1539. :D
:p

And I just went back and read it.

My particular Jetboil drama was due to putting the pot on before igniting the stove. The directions clearly state, somewhere, that one must light the stove before putting the pot on.

And I probably had the fuel cranked a tad too much. :-o

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
If you are in a National Park a good reason to NOT leave the stove out. From the GSMNP brochure.

"For these reasons, National Park Rangers issue citations for feeding bears and for improper food storage. Feeding bears and improper food storage can result in fines of up to $5,000 and jail sentences lasting up to six months. Visitors are urged to view all wildlife at a safe distance and to never leave food or garbage unattended. Garbage Kills Bears!"

This includes anything to do with food prep including your stove.
$5k - dang! Shenandoah N.P. rangers will slap you with a $75 ticket pretty fast, for leaving coolers/food/garbage out and for noise. Didn't know they could go up to $5k.

Gidget taught me a lesson last weekend. Came home from REI, dropped off the shopping bag on my bed and then ran back out, without her.

Got home to discover that she'd sampled Mary Jane's ginger pasta. She didn't like it so I had it for dinner that night.

Wicked wildlife, that one.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
:p

And I just went back and read it.

My particular Jetboil drama was due to putting the pot on before igniting the stove. The directions clearly state, somewhere, that one must light the stove before putting the pot on.

And I probably had the fuel cranked a tad too much. :-o
Interesting ... I'm pretty sure my brother had the cup thing on there when lighting. I'll ask him if he read the directions (not likely).

Regarding bears and such, following the rules is very important to me. There was a show about Yellowstone on recently and it was heart-breaking to see bears hauled away (likely to be euthanized) because of humans who don't care enough to learn and/or follow the rules. Do you see me trying to talk myself into a Jetboil so it's super convenient to pack away when in bear country? ;-)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,000 ·
981 - 1000 of 1824 Posts