Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went on a little vacation this past June/July. Started in Phoenix, AZ and finally turned around at Dead Horse Alaska. I built the 6ft x 4ft platform bed but we ended up camping only 1 1/2 times. The second time camping we could not keep the mosquitoes out of the car, even with the windows rolled up. We did have skeeter beaters but those blood sucking vampire larvae could find a way in. We packed up at midnight, being we were in northern British Columbia and the moon was full the night never really got dark. The E performed flawlessly. Because we drive the Dalton Highway, aka the Haul Road from Fairbanks to Dead Horse I purchased a full size spare and stuck it under the bed. The spare tire was the largest single item we carried and took up a lot of space. See the following link for some pictures of you trip and the route we drive. The E currently has 143200 miles.

Pics:
milestwogo.smugmug.com

Route:
share.delorme.com/terryhoffart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool beans, STROLN. So you rode the bike and your wife drove the car?
No, the fella on the bike is my brother. He rode from North Dakota and met us in Longview Alberta. He rode while we drove for a couple of days then turned and headed south at Dawson Creek British Columbia toward Prince George British Columbia.

In 2013 my brother and I both rode bikes to Alaska. There are a bunch of pictures of that bike trip here.

picasaweb.google.com/102461716471327294322

Enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! That is an epic trip. The longest I've done is from Kansas to Maine to Florida and back (over the course of a summer) which pales in comparison to your epic adventure. Were you planning on camping in the E the whole time or did you have hotels/stops that you were going to utilize as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That is an epic trip. The longest I've done is from Kansas to Maine to Florida and back (over the course of a summer) which pales in comparison to your epic adventure. Were you planning on camping in the E the whole time or did you have hotels/stops that you were going to utilize as well?
We had hoped to camp in the E about 25% to 40% of the time. We did not come close to meeting that. A few times we would pull in to a town and realize that this would be a nice place to spend some time so we would get a hotel. Originally the main reason for camping in the E was when we went to Prudhoe Bay. There are not many places to say and the wife did not want to set up camp in a tent for fear of bears. For the Fairbanks to Prudhoe and back we took two days up and on one day back. On the way up we stayed at a hunting lodge (Boreal Lodge) in a little place/town/community named Wiseman, which is only about 15 miles north of Cold Foot. All about 65 miles north of the Arctic Circle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts