Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is one designers Idea of what the future may hold.

Sharp looking car!

Indy car.jpg

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
I can't imagine that would even turn. the front track is way too narrow. not to mention there are a lot of safety concerns. the modern indy (and f1) cars are designed to dissipate tremendous energy away from the c0ckpit in case of impact. looks more like something that would go to bonneville and run the straight line speed trials.
plus the vertical wing in the back would further inhibit turning.
still, it is cool looking.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Holy Guadalcanal batman !

Never , ever happen ! Indy car and F1 are open wheel sports cars ! Key word OPEN WHEEL , I'll go with the batman theory !

RUBY

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I can't imagine that would even turn. the front track is way too narrow. not to mention there are a lot of safety concerns. the modern indy (and f1) cars are designed to dissipate tremendous energy away from the c0ckpit in case of impact. looks more like something that would go to bonneville and run the straight line speed trials.
plus the vertical wing in the back would further inhibit turning.
still, it is cool looking.
Just make the back wing turnable and it'll help steer the rear end :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree it looks cool but it would never hold on to a corner. It looks like a top fuel dragster for the street.:twisted:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree with all prior comments, but wouldn't that be a treat to see on the oval track, by itself just going all out?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is one ugly, ugly and useless design. Ever hear of OVERsteer? lol That would not be able to turn, forgetting about the fact that they forgot to even leave room for the front wheels to actually turn. I would have to say that a Top Fuel Dragster would have a smaller turning radius than that horrid design! lol

LOL,

Larry, You of all people !!

Remember the old English sports cars? They all were of the impression that the rear track had to be 2 inches narrower than the front, to have good handling. That old theory died with the advent of the first AC Cobra.

The person that did the design work, has an impeccable reputation in the open wheel design field. He has been instrumental in the development of the current Indy car's design. I will be willing to bet that he produces one for testing within the next year or so.

It does follow the new INDY model of making the cars more affordable to the teams to field. For that aspect alone, it may get some consideration not afforded to other design's

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It is one thing to design a body that is fast but to design the entire car to go fast and handle is another.

The front wheels look very thin/skinny, like top fuel dragsters. It wouldn't take much in the way of clearance for them to turn.

I think if that car was to have a go it would need it's own series to race in. it would be too exotic on the track with the traditional open wheel cars.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
About the designer:

Ben Bowlby

» Age: 43.

» Career: Built a two-seat road car at age 16, following with a race car three years later. . . . Drove his own race cars in England for six years while completing degree in mechanical engineering. . . . Worked for Lola Cars, designing Champ Cars for CART, European and Nippon F3000 series and various sports car and touring divisions. . . . Joined Ganassi Racing as technical director in 2003, working on development for IndyCar, Grand Am and NASCAR programs while developing a full-scale straight-line aerodynamic test facility.

I think he might know what he's doing ! :grin:

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am no way disputing the designers credibility or credentials. Just saying that sometimes the designers/engineer something with only one aspect in mind and not giving the full design a complete thought.

The link you posted leaves a lot of questions to the design of the car. I think a lot of us car junkies here just want to see what is under the skirt.;-)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
More information Now available about the designs being looked at.

Nothing that I can find to provide more specific information about the car in the Photo. I did come up with the FACT that it is being considered, along with 3 other designs.

They are talking a turbo 4 cylinder Engine. If Honda decides to stay with the Indy series, That would indicate a new Honda engine is on the horizon.

Maybe it will fit in the Element! 8) Now we're talking ! A nice small 800 Horse Power four cylinder engine !!

Anyone have a gas card I can borrow for about a year or so? :razz:

Dom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts