Honda Element Owners Club banner

281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Big thanks to Bloateus. Picked up the 20 LED in white and blue. The 20 LED version just fits on my 2006. Installed the white in the rear in less than a minute (spent more time opening the package). Used the longest contact adapter so that the wider diameter touches the metal socket tangs. Fits nice and snug in the factory tangs. Can't wait to see it in the dark.

The nice thing about these, is that it's setup so you can test while still in the package. Wish I had thought about leaving it in the package to test at night, before I installed the rear, but I was too excited.

So I'll checkout how bright the rear is with 20 installed tonight and also hold the blue 20 up to the dome and see if it gives me enough light for the front. Then I'll decide if I want to keep the front blue 20, buy another white 20, or if the white 20 is too bright, I'll go back and buy the white 12 led. Nice thing is that since I bought them locally, I can easily return the unopened ones after I test them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The Shipment -
2 of the High Power 4210-WHP6 $14.95 each
2 of the 3022-WHP2 for the Map Lights $6.95 each
1 of the 3022x4 - Red (for Drivers Side Map Light) $1.89
1 of the 3022x4 - UV (Just because I thought it could be fun - Map Light) $3.84
2 of the 3022x4 - Cool White (Just to play with) $2.84 each
Damn, looks like the pricing went up a bit since you posted your order.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Okay I need a little Help. It seems to me that perhaps some model numbers have changed at superbrightleds. I can only find 42mm 4210-xHP6 bulbs. Which are for the domes and I dont know if that is the correct bulb (I have an 04 E). And for the map lights I only came across 3022-CWHP4. Are these correct? I know I need to order two of each kind of bulb, but I just want to make sure those are right. Also what is the model number for the license plate bulbs?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Good luck getting help for anyone. I've been waiting for weeks...:roll:
What are you have trouble with? I am sure the 42 size will fit in my E, its just the fact that the model numbers are slightly different...thats what is throwing me off. Perhaps we can help each other out. I found another site where I can get my licence plate ones, I just need help on my dome/map lights.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I did a lot of reading. I found the bulbs I needed. $50 to replace both dome lights, both map lights, and both licence plate lights (shipped).

Dome: (2) High power 6 led festoon bulb cool white 7000k 42mm 4210-xhp6

Map: (2) 3610-x4 LED festoon bulb natural white 3610-NW4 0.95

License Plate: (2) WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb - Pure White WLED-WHP

It is a little difficult searching on the site, but you can figure it out. If any one has questions about searching feel free to ask. I just ordered mine 5 minutes ago so I will post pics and info after I install them.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
I have those (warm white) in my map lights and they work very well there.

not nearly bright enough to be used in the dome light though. :-(
That is the thing about the warm white LED's, there not as visibly bright
as the cool white ones. But the warm white LED's light is not as harsh on the
eyes as the cool white ones. Catch 22?
I am thinking of buying a set of the cool white 3022-xHP4's to see if there
brighter than the older 3022-xHP2. The 3022-xHP2 lamps where never
bright enough for me.

I take it that no one has tried to fit a 08 or older dome light assy. in a
2010? That would allow the use of the 4210-xHP6 lamps in a 2010 E.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed these LED's in both front and back dome lights. Easy 5 minute job and love the results. Thanks for all of the info guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just installed these LED's in both front and back dome lights. Easy 5 minute job and love the results. Thanks for all of the info guys.
Ditto - I love the cool creepy ambiance :). These put out way more light than filament bulbs and are an easy swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did I do wrong?

Hi guys great info on this forum. I followed the steps to replace my map lights with LEDs from superbrightleds.com and worked great, noce and bright. Then I plugged in the new LED for the center dome light and switched it on to test it, well the map lights went out and neither the center dome light works or the rear one. This is with the regular light reinstalled. I have checked all the fuses and just to be safe changed the ones mentioned earlier but still nothing. Any advice on how I can fix this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Hi guys great info on this forum. I followed the steps to replace my map lights with LEDs from superbrightleds.com and worked great, noce and bright. Then I plugged in the new LED for the center dome light and switched it on to test it, well the map lights went out and neither the center dome light works or the rear one. This is with the regular light reinstalled. I have checked all the fuses and just to be safe changed the ones mentioned earlier but still nothing. Any advice on how I can fix this?
Check to see if the LED you installed in the center dome light is shorted out.
If so send it back, they'll replace it under warranty. And if you already
replaced fuses #3 or 9 in the under hood fuse/relay box then the output of
the Multiplex control unit (in under-dash fuse/relay box) might be bad.
Also does the dome light turn on if you switch it to the always on position?
If it doesn't it's most likely a blown fuse.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just swapped out my Festoons. I posted some before and afters in my sigy link, page 3-4. Its takes some caution and slight adjustments to get them to fit, the caps are kind of small and the circuit board was real tight lengthwise for the domes. Maps went in easy. Makes a huge difference in my opinion!

·
Registered
63 Posts
bought a 3x3 warm white LED panel from LED Wholesalers (via Amazon) for the dome light and wow it's bright. Had to cut off the bayonet plug and splice on a festoon-like adapter though.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I'd replaced the center festoon (dome) bulb with a 6 LED unit several years back, but when I found a small 48 LED panel with adapters for $4, I just had to try it.

The panel was just slightly wider (1/16") than the cavity, but had no traces near the edges, so I ground it down with my Dremel. The lamp socket cut through the provided double faced tape (possible short), so I used 2 crossed layers of filament tape as an insulator.

The output from the 48 top hat style LEDs is noticeably brighter than my LED "map" lights - bright enough to read for extended periods with no eyestrain, and more even than the previous dome LED. (The pic of the dome is stopped down to show the evenness of the individual LEDs off axis. The cabin pic exposure was set to match the way it looked after my eyes adapted to the light.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
psschmied,

thats the newer style panel that has the LED's within the lens case. This makes it taller while also retaining more heat than SMD LED's. The SMD panels fit with no modifications but are becoming less common due to style changes and manufacturers changing over. What happens is a new design is put into production from a customer (car maker, boat manufacture, industrial...) with the product manufacture keeping the tooling and aftermarket rights for their own use. This is how we get these one time $100+ panels for $10 or less.

I used to fabricate LED light panels for film/tv use before they became affordable to buy off the shelf. Just a few years ago a $1000+ of the shelf panel I could build for $100 but they sell for under that price now. Its all to do with the aforementioned manufacturing production practices, but thats a good thing.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
psschmied,

thats the newer style panel that has the LED's within the lens case. This makes it taller while also retaining more heat than SMD LED's. . . .
Rob, you're right. the listing on eBay misidentifies it as SMD (surface mounted device) AKA chips soldered directly to traces, but the photo showed it as soldered through top hats.

I think your cost estimate for small production is high. If I'd wanted too, I could have used pre-drilled breadboard and adhesive copper strip to make a close-to-clone in under an hour with $10 in parts. I've never been paid $90/hour. (If it's different in Hollywood and you need help- please give me a PM ;-) ).

Shops that specialize in VLP PCB production have much lower costs than one-off job shops. A general electronics company I worked for had a one-off shop that produced very low volume 1 layer PCBs for <$1/sq in, stuffed and wave soldered them for $2/sq in. Give current prices of LEDs and resistors, this board would have cost them ~$12 to produce from scratch in quantities of +100 pcs. $100 would have covered production line setup. That was without using NC machines or specialized PCB design software.

While the circuit board might have been developed for SMDs, I can see that this board was designed to produce multiples of 3 LED elements, divisible in variable length strips, and had excess space to permit drilling for through-board device mounting. (Using Chinese slave sweat shop labor is what got its selling price down so far. If done in Taiwan or Mexico, it would have cost 3-4X s much.)

The power consumption of this panel is less than 1/4 that of the OEM incandescent lamp, and evenly dissipated over the entire array. Epoxy lenses allow more useful control of the distribution of the emitted light than do SMD LEDs at the cost of a slight maximum power reduction.

LEDs inherently convert electricity into light more efficiently than incandescent lamps. "White" LEDs that utilize phosphors to convert blue or UV to whiter visible light radiate more heat than LEDs emitting their natural wavelengths, but less than equivalent incandescent lamps.

Very high power (1W+) LED require heat sinks because of the power density or heat dumped by their regulator circuits, rather than because of the total radiated heat of the LED. Without heat sinks their junctions would become too hot and melt the internal connections to their leads. SMD LEDs can become hotter to the touch at the same power levels as epoxy-potted LEDs because their heat isn't distributed over a larger area.

When left on for a prolonged period, the incandescent lamp perceptibly heated the lens. This particular LED panel doesn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got one "4210-CWHP6: Cool White" for the dome, and two "3022-CWHP4: Cool White" for the map lights. Installation was super easy. The leds fit pretty well to the housings.

I realized that the trunk dome has a light too after the purchase. :p (I just got a used Element last month) So I had a chance to compare the light patterns.

The LED lights are much brighter than the stock incandescents. Cool Whites give you a really white light that is not super ambient for my taste but for its function it is great.

superbrightleds.com shipped the product quite fast.

Overall one of the best mods. :) Definitely recommended!

281 - 300 of 335 Posts