Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible (anything's possible, I know) for the struts on an '05 EX to be gone with only 39,000 miles on it? SHE seems to think it rides much harder than when new, and I have to agree somewhat. You feel every bump and tar strip, etc. It rides, well, like a truck. Just asking.

And, if they ARE gone, is it a real job to change them yourself? I have a building with a pit that I could do it in.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
873 Posts
my 05 is the same way in the front ,but back was way to loose so I changed the rears, easy job.I need to get the new updated 07 & up struts for the front but the assy is $400.00+ ship a pair.. I can jack up the front of my E and every pump the front tire comes off the ground then goes back down. honda refuzed to do any thing under warranty. when I hit a bump this thing dances around on the road. I put kyb's on the back,they wern't the honda units,but I dont know if they are any changes made to them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It's been my experience that they don't get harder as they age. They bounce more. So if you go through a dip and the E continues to bounce you need new struts. If it seems too hard going over bumps and potholes you may have too much air in your tires. Or did you just get new tires? A set of tires with a stiff sidewall will cause it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's been my experience that they don't get harder as they age. They bounce more. So if you go through a dip and the E continues to bounce you need new struts. If it seems too hard going over bumps and potholes you may have too much air in your tires. Or did you just get new tires? A set of tires with a stiff sidewall will cause it.
I put a set of Michelin's on it at 3,500 miles, and I watch the pressures closely, so I don't think it's the tires. I would agree that it should get 'softer or sloppier' with age, not harsher. I just thought maybe the struts were worn (or getting) worn out and that was what was causing it to ride harder.

John

·
Registered
873 Posts
nope not on mine these things are so stiff I waigh 200+alittle more and I cant get the front to go down more than3/8" when I put all my weight in the front. he probly has the same problem.internal strut problem.but yes your right ,I have never seen any get tight unless there bent.they usualy just start getting loose & bouncing.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you tire pressures are up to the max on the sidewall it will cause a harder ride. The only time I have seen a strut get stiffer is when the inner bushing in the strut failed causing it not to slide good but it also made a lot of craking when the car was pushed down upon and that was 25 years ago on a Volvo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts