Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
How is it comparable to the E? Because it's a "niche" vehicle with 4WD? I think the writer was hard-pressed finding a known quantity to base his comments on.

Yup... just great for off-roading... as long as it's just you and your date and nothing else. Sort of an off-road Corvette. You're right about the exhaust ports. Strange, but without an ounce of real-world thought. You'd be wiping off soot everytime you looked at it, and it would eventually discolor the paint in the area anyway.

VW has some strange ideas about "capable off-road vehicles." I mean, getting into a Touareg is a $40-60K proposition. And you're going to go mudding in it??? Hardly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It reminds me of those dune buggys that VW had that were Beetle based. No doors, engine in the rear, loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VW's have a lot of problems these days. Since most of the US market vehicles are made in Mexico you need to watch out. I know a couple of people that have had major trouble with theirs and there are several VW lemon websites out there. One of my coworkers had to hire a lawyer to get her problems taken care of. I'd stay away from VW unless it's made in Germany.

We have an 87 VW Westfalia camper that is very well made. I like the Vanagons but they require much more maintenance than a Japanese vehicle of the same era.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:3bcde6d36f=" "]VW's have a lot of problems these days. Since most of the US market vehicles are made in Mexico you need to watch out. I know a couple of people that have had major trouble with theirs and there are several VW lemon websites out there. One of my coworkers had to hire a lawyer to get her problems taken care of. I'd stay away from VW unless it's made in Germany.

We have an 87 VW Westfalia camper that is very well made. I like the Vanagons but they require much more maintenance than a Japanese vehicle of the same era.[/quote:3bcde6d36f]

Mexican build quality is not all bad. Chrysler's plant in Mexico has the highest build quality of all it's plants.

·
Registered
481 Posts
[quote:f493fff3cc=" "]VW's have a lot of problems these days. Since most of the US market vehicles are made in Mexico you need to watch out. I know a couple of people that have had major trouble with theirs and there are several VW lemon websites out there. One of my coworkers had to hire a lawyer to get her problems taken care of. I'd stay away from VW unless it's made in Germany.

We have an 87 VW Westfalia camper that is very well made. I like the Vanagons but they require much more maintenance than a Japanese vehicle of the same era.[/quote:f493fff3cc]

"these days" In what decade did VW's have reliability? Not the 70's or 80's when I owned VWs. I swore off anything German because of those POS.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think it's kinda cool lookin'!

·
Moderator Eh?
12,164 Posts
[quote:ef2929f0f2=" "]I see the comparison.

The Element and that THING both have 4 wheels.[/quote:ef2929f0f2]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote:fc9acaa29d=" "]VW's have a lot of problems these days. Since most of the US market vehicles are made in Mexico you need to watch out. I know a couple of people that have had major trouble with theirs and there are several VW lemon websites out there. One of my coworkers had to hire a lawyer to get her problems taken care of. I'd stay away from VW unless it's made in Germany.

We have an 87 VW Westfalia camper that is very well made. I like the Vanagons but they require much more maintenance than a Japanese vehicle of the same era.[/quote:fc9acaa29d]

We have two New Beetles and have had no problems with either one. The first year of production (1998) had a few problems which were pretty much ironed out by 1999. I did have a windshield crack on my '03 convertible - but what does that sound like - that was replaced under warranty. I do admit that this T concept is pretty ugly and the Tourig is overpriced. We would have purchased another VW instead of our E if they imported the Golf stationwagon with diesel and 4WD. We saw one in Germany and they would be ideal for our lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I was REALLY hoping this would see the light of day - a new Microbus. This, I think would have been quite comparable to the Element in terms of funky utility.

Recent word, however, is that they are toning it down to something more Eurovanlike -too retro according to the powers that be at VeeDub

:cry:

·
Registered
152 Posts
You know, if Vee-Dub had something like that in the States, I may not have been as tempted by the Element. Unfortunately, the only thing they have here is the Toe Rag. The Touareg is beset by quality control problems, but it's the name that gets me. What overpaid consultant comes up with these monikers, anyway?

Let's see, there's that Daewoo that sounds like an Italian bean: Leganza.

There's the Ford that sounds like a trip to the proctologist: Probe

There's that Ford that makes you think you could have bought a better car if you'd just tried a little harder: Aspire

There's Porsche's new hulking 5,000 pound SUV with a name that belongs on a peppy little two-seater sports car: Cayenne

Then there's that weird Honda that makes you think of the Periodic Table...

-- Bill
"There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,
And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium,
And nickle, neodynium, neptunium, germanium,
And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium..."
- Tom Lehrer, "The Elements"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts