Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody here knows of some sort of aftermarket device to lock the side doors into an open position? If I park my E on even the slightest incline/decline, or it is the least bit windy, the side doors can be a bit dangerous and I always seem to be fighting with them and worry about getting pinched by them. It has been an inconvenience in the past, but is increasingly pertinent as we are expecting twins in the fall.

(I have tried jamming a tennis ball, or an empty plastic Gatorade bottle in the hinge area, but that is a bit of a pain).

Thanks, Jeff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. Perhaps the door stay is worn out.
Possibly. I have nothing to compare it to I guess. It has been an issue since I purchased the car in May, 2006 (it had 46k miles at the time). The E is an 03, perhaps they have improved upon it.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
It's not elegant, but a a c-clamp or flat-jaw vice grips on the detent bar will stop the door from closing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ive had the same issue on my 05'. But only on the drivers door. the passenger door seems to be fine. I cant seem to turn anything up via the search as far as door stay repair... anybody got a good link? surely this has been covered before, i just cant seem to find it and i would also like to fix this issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had the same issue on my 05'. But only on the drivers door. the passenger door seems to be fine. I cant seem to turn anything up via the search as far as door stay repair... anybody got a good link? surely this has been covered before, i just cant seem to find it and i would also like to fix this issue.
Thanks. I searched here as well a bit before posting and was unable to find anything related specifically. All of the doors are equally "free swinging", front and rear and on both sides of the car. Even when I open the front driver's door in my perfectly flat garage, the door will surprisingly swing shut before I can gather my backpack and other items from the passenger seat.

·
Registered
510 Posts
"free swinging"
giggity!

It certainly is a pain for sure. when modding i use a bungee cord to keep the dang thing open... so annoying. and i sweartogod if my leg gets shut in there one more time (no worries... its a prosthetic, just annoying) im gonna rip the door apart without knowing what im getting into and fixing it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The limiters are barely adequate when new, IMO, and they do wear out. I have a new one on the shelf but haven't installed it yet.

Maybe I will start by replacing them. How much did they cost you?

Some sort of little flip lock thingy (that would not interfere with the closing of the door and be easy to use) sure would be sweet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hmm... according to the illustration its pretty simple bolt on/off (but it probably wont be)... i might see if i can open that baby up and strengthen the catch or whatever it uses... better get a spare in case i break it.

Thank you Ramblerdan yet again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My solution

I had the same problem. I cut up styrofoam (4" x 3" x 7") blocks that wedge the door open and can't damage the rubber gasket. Finished them with a rope loop and duct tape to remove them and hold the foam together. Too easy.

Call me cheap but hey, it works.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Honda door checks

Maybe I will start by replacing them. How much did they cost you?

Some sort of little flip lock thingy (that would not interfere with the closing of the door and be easy to use) sure would be sweet.
None of my Hondas ever had a good door check, they won't even stand up to a breeze. My back doors don't even seem like there's a checker on them, never did. But my Civic and Accords were the same way. Maybe you could drill a hole and put a pin through it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts