Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days it's typical Element starting. RRRrrrrrrRRrrrrRRRRRrrr finally catches and it's running. It always starts, is never confidence inspiring, always grinds 1/2 speed of any other car I've owned...but it starts. And yes I have a 24F installed. It's a 2004,

I'm in a parking lot last week and me and the guy next to me get into our cars simultaneously. His is a newer (who knows what make) but as I'm about to turn my key his car is running instantly. No RRRrrrRRRrrr at all...just ...Running. Instantly.

So my question is: is that how newer cars start? No grinding of the starter motor, just...Running, instantly. And how do these cars accomplish this magical feat?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Most newer cars are push start. Have you ever tried priming the fuel pump prior to turning key very fast? When did you last replace the starter. What you describe is somewhat normal for the Element.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most newer cars are push start. Have you ever tried priming the fuel pump prior to turning key very fast? When did you last replace the starter. What you describe is somewhat normal for the Element.
So, push start means what? Push a button and the car starts running instantly? How is that possible? Isn't there a starter motor involved in that process? Like my E with my key? How can with a push of a button the engine is instantly running?

This isn't a thread about my E's starting, it's about that guy's car going from off to running in about 1/1000 of a second. Ya know, like turning on a light switch...dark to light, just with the flip of a switch!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My Element sits in garage with trickle charger. Trickle charge has helped with cold starts as I don't drive it much. Our other two cars are push start. Both cars start up immediately compared to my Element. It's different technology. Our Pathfinder even has remote start.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Element sits in garage with trickle charger. Trickle charge has helped with cold starts as I don't drive it much. Our other two cars are push start. Both cars start up immediately compared to my Element. It's different technology. Our Pathfinder even has remote start.
Yeah, if your push (button) start vehicles start immediately like the guy's car did next to me, for sure it's different technology than my Element. It makes my key/battery/starter motor combination seem like a Model A in comparison.

I'm going to keep searching as to what exactly is going in with this newer technology. So far all I get are hits about "stop/start" activity at stop lights and none about just starting one's vehicle at home...instantly. It's like the engine is on a wound-up spring that rapidly unwinds at the push of a button and, magically, electricity happens and the engine is running. Something like that I guess...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've been searching online for another morning and still don't have an answer. Articles on "push-button start" (which I'm guessing a lot of you have in your other vehicles) never mention the speed at which a car starts running with push-button start.

So, tell me: am I just imagining that the guy in the car next to me, his engine started instantly? In fact do "push-button start' mechanisms just crank away after you've pushed the button to start, just like my E does? There is no "instantly running" like I'm imagining? You'd think some article I've searched would mention that, one way or another.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Please explain how "push start" is different from what we have in our E's. It's a different switch, but beyond that it's just a battery, a relay and a starter, no?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please explain how "push start" is different from what we have in our E's. It's a different switch, but beyond that it's just a battery, a relay and a starter, no?
[/QUOTE
Good luck finding out the answer to that question. I've been trying for days now. Search "push-button start" and you'll see articles about everything but the mechanism involved

·
Registered
266 Posts
You sure they didnt start it with their remote before you two walked up?
Most "push button start" cars are the same as ours.
The hybrid we have at work will use the electric motor at first if its got a good charge and you are light on the go pedal.
Hate that thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your talking about your engine cranking over and then starting. I was told newer cars have that auto shutoff crap, at stoplights the engine turns off to save gas. While doing that it also stops in a position that the pistons are in perfect position to start at the first spark. Some newer cars also have direct injection so the fuel is also right there in the piston chamber not in the manifold that needs to get sucked into the engine by cranking. The "push button" start really has nothing to do with anything, other its not a key

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your talking about your engine cranking over and then starting. I was told newer cars have that auto shutoff crap, at stoplights the engine turns off to save gas. While doing that it also stops in a position that the pistons are in perfect position to start at the first spark. Some newer cars also have direct injection so the fuel is also right there in the piston chamber not in the manifold that needs to get sucked into the engine by cranking. The "push button" start really has nothing to do with anything, other its not a key
Yeah, like that. The fact it's via a push button is not the issue, it's the fact that it's "instant start". Your explanation of how that could happen is the best one yet on this thread.

I'm surprised there are so few replies here, maybe this is the wrong forum for this type of question.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yeah, like that. The fact it's via a push button is not the issue, it's the fact that it's "instant start". Your explanation of how that could happen is the best one yet on this thread.

I'm surprised there are so few replies here, maybe this is the wrong forum for this type of question.
Hi,
Well, that is "Logical", seeing how the E does not use,"Instant Start"!

I think the best thing to do for E Owners is to do preventive Maintance for Starter/Battery Connections, check output of Alternator, now and then (under load) and use a good Starter to replace the original one.

Best to me is rebuild the Starter, with Honda Parts.

Was told by my Honda Dealer that even $400 Honda Starters are now ALL rebuilds for the Element, but backed up by Honda!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I"d forgotten all about this: I used to own a 1987 Toyota SR5 truck with a 22R four cylinder engine. Been a long time since I owned it but a thought came back to me today which was...I used to describe its starting as instant. I remember saying that I'd turn the key and the truck would be running. just like that. I drove that truck for years and that's the way it always started. Then I bought a '97 Tacoma and remember its starting was two or three cranks then starting. Very noticeable when compared to the '87. Then there's my Element...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts