Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This category is for posting input suggestions to Honda about what you'd like to see in future versions of the Element. We're talking everything from body style modifications to interior changes, etc. If you've got a thought or idea that you think would take the E to the next level - share it here.

Honda is, in fact, reading this so make use this category as YOUR place to be part of the Element design team!!

Thanks in advance to our many members for their input and participation. You truly are what makes this online community such a great place to be.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll start off the list!!!

*superhero music* Penguin to the rescue!

By the way Tom....this forum is a great idea!

Things I would like to see added or changed about my E...

1. Center Console with storage that enables the parking break to be used.

2. Power Sunroof/moonroof.

3. Smaller Visors....so that when they are down you can still see the traffic lights!

4. More height adjustments on the drivers seat.

I am sure I will think of more....but that will be a start :wink:

Note to Honda: I love this car!!! Thanks for making it!
Dare to be different!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would love to see the Element with:

#1-A Hybrid Engine. This is the car to do this to, or maybe fuel cell if the technology is cheap enough by then.

2. Built in dvd/gaming system. Seems like most people on the boards are putting these in because they are taking it on trips, and need to keep the keiki busy. If there was an option for it, even better.

3. Hopefully the windshield "problems" are fixed.

4. Mount the spare underneath the vehicle?

5. Make the rear seats reversible so that we can turn them around

6. Have the bungees and fog lights standard. Looks kinda "stupid" to have these spots for them and not have them on the car.

I don't know...I guess number one is all I really care about. The rest I can live without cause im not really having problems with them...just a thought.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Just shedding a little bit of rain on this parade! :mrgreen:

>#1-A Hybrid Engine. ...

The larger the vehicle, the poorer the return using the current hybrid technologies. Until there is an exponential improvement in efficiency, storage and recovery, this - sadly - is a non-starter. Ford's finding this out the hard way with the Escape Hybrid, which has been delayed for the fourth or fifth time as the road test results don't match the hype. Apparently some non-engineers are calling the shots somewhere.

>6. ...fog lights standard...

As long as the price doesn't go up as much as the option currently costs. But toss it in as part of the EX package? Oh, I agree!

>1. Center Console...

Only if it's optional. One of the things about the E which is selling me on it over my soon-to-be-sold Escape is that there is actually a way to deal with long skinny stuff without trashing the upholstery or making the front passenger seat unusable. I think Honda's engineers were truly enlightened about "active lifestyles" by not putting a big box in the middle.

>2. Power Sunroof/moonroof.

Ooh. Costs. The E is already too expensive for its target market, and I don't think it could tolerate the $600-800 premium a power roof would add. As an option, maybe, but Honda's never been too keen on separate options that have to be handled during manufacturing.

>4. More height adjustments on the drivers seat.

Interesting! I find the height range rather remarkable already. Hmm!

The other things you guys mention are pretty good... but, again, bear in mind that we're already dealing with a vehicle that costs too much already.

:(

Oh, and...

>4. Mount the spare underneath the vehicle?

Having two SUVs, one this way and the other like the E, I prefer the inside version that the E has. If you have to use the spare, the underneath-mounted spare means that you are dealing with two dirty tires rather than one. I think the E's arrangement is great. Only one question... does the E's spare tire space support a full-size wheel and tire... if not, that's the real issue.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The other things you guys mention are pretty good... but, again, bear in mind that we're already dealing with a vehicle that costs too much already.

While I understand and appreciate your point of view, I will agree that the E is "too expensive" for it's "target" market.....but since many polls have shown that Honda's "target" market is NOT who is buying the E.

I think the whole point of this forum is for Honda to listen to what "we" (owners and possible owners of the E)....I am not in Honda's target demographic.....but I did buy an E.....and if other options were available I would have purchased them....and if they become available I will add them.

Only if it's optional. One of the things about the E which is selling me on it over my soon-to-be-sold Escape is that there is a actually way to deal with long skinny stuff without trashing the upholstery or making the front passenger seat unusable. I think Honda's engineers were truly enlightened about "active lifestyles" by not putting a big box in the middle.
I lead a very "active" lifestyle and installed a center console so that I have a place to keep my valuables when I go to the park to run or bike.....I find it useful since the glove box is a bit small. I think if it was an option....much like the storage armrest is an opyion it would be greatly recieved....I am not saying standard....just an option. I bought a Steel Horse Console, which matches my E and I like, but if Honda designed something that actually went with the E I would buy it.....it doesn't have to be large...just bigger than the glove box.

Interesting! I find the height range rather remarkable already. Hmm!
Many people find the adjustments more than suitable.....but for me being 5'5 I wish I could sit up a bit higher....I have the height at the highest setting and I still find myself scooting up at times to see things....UGH! One of the many drawbacks to being short!!! :evil:

I apologize if any of my opinions came off harsh or :evil: , but I always seem to have to throw in my 2 cents! I am one opinionated Penguin :wink: [/code]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just having this conversation about what are the top 5 things that we would change. This is the list we came up with.

1. Passanger side arm rest
2. Inside latch to the tailgate and rear window (for those of us who live in our element).
3.Ability to lock the car with one hand. (Essential for a tea drinker).
4. Moon roof that opens wider without having to remove it.
5. No bungies - big pockets
6.Front grill to protect the radiator

The first two seem essential

However we love our element the way it is. The list of great things is much longer. I'm glad Honda is looking.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Honda's "target" market is NOT who is buying the E.

Yeah, we've shown that to be the case... but think how many E's would be out there if the target demo could afford it? With the competition heating up with the xB, Honda really can't afford to further alienate this market, because we "adults with real jobs" have only so much tolerance for the weird design that seems to come with the utility. We can only take but so much grief from family, friends, co-workers, clients... ;)

>lead a very "active" lifestyle and installed a center console

I've seen the pics from another EOC denizen who's done something similar. Good solutions. Anyway, think "skis", especially cross-country skis. While I haven't skied in years, I have other stuff that takes similar space... ignoring the occasional (and costly) run to Home Depot. The universal solution to the ski problem has been roof racks, but I never could reconcile the theft potential that comes with putting stuff outside.

>being 5'5 I wish I could sit up a bit higher

You didn't get the phonebook option, Diane? (I know, I know... you are free to smack me a good one when we meet.)

:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
For 2008:

1. Improved ground clearance. The Element's clearance should equal the 8" of the CR-V.

2. Larger rear side doors. Following the Concept X, the rear doors should allow unobstructed access to the back seat and open independently.

3. Retractable rear windows. Rear passengers should not be isolated from the outdoors.

4. Optional clear windows. Dark-tinted windows are a virtue for some owners, a drawback for others. They should not be mandatory.

5. Improved back seat arms rests. The current ones are not ergonomically effective.

6. Integrated sliding cover for rear sunroof. Every factory sunroof offers this. The E's should too.

7. FXC headliner and sun shades. These areas are prone to significant dirt and stainage, and should resist them accordingly.

8. More durable interior finishes and trim. A vehicle billed for recreation and utility should better withstand these uses.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
[quote:f625e3cd08="bush555"]Somehow I became a "guest" for the above post... Do I get a cocktail and mint?

:wink:[/quote:f625e3cd08]

Nah. Just a cookie.

(Sorry. Bad web pun.)

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've seen the pics from another EOC denizen who's done something similar. Good solutions. Anyway, think "skis", especially cross-country skis. While I haven't skied in years, I have other stuff that takes similar space... ignoring the occasional (and costly) run to Home Depot. The universal solution to the ski problem has been roof racks, but I never could reconcile the theft potential that comes with putting stuff outside.
Okay....it has been a few years since I lived in Philly and used to frequent the Poconos (had a friend swho had a place up there).....but as I do recall he had locks on his roof rack for the skis.....I could be mistaken, but that is what I do recall......but what harm would skis do to a plastic console that putting a towel down wouldn't prevent? (I know I am playing the devils advocate!)

Yeah, we've shown that to be the case... but think how many E's would be out there if the target demo could afford it? With the competition heating up with the xB, Honda really can't afford to further alienate this market, because we "adults with real jobs" have only so much tolerance for the weird design that seems to come with the utility. We can only take but so much grief from family, friends, co-workers, clients...
Okay I be the ONLY one.....but in all honesty I kinda like that not everyone is running around town in an E....excuse the cut here.....but the E is not your typical Explorer or Escape....and while Honda makes them and sells them and is selling more than projected I think they are quite Happy, because after all more people are buying Es than they thought. Perhaps Honda is not so worried about the sales of this quirky lil' box due to record Accord Sales....and please do not forget about the good ole' Civic.....after all my husband recieved his Civic in College (it was his Mom's) and 10 years later he is still driving it. I think that the price is fair on the E....and in fact when I started shopping for a new car was pleasantly surprised that I could an SUV by Honda for around $20,000.....but hey that is just me, and I am part of a cult called the Honda Family....god bless Butterscoth (1980 Civic Wagon) may she rest in piece and go down in history as THE best car ever!

(I know, I know... you are free to smack me a good one when we meet.)
You'd like that wouldn't you! Hee Hee! :wink:

·
Registered
461 Posts
My number one request would be a front moonroof. That's the thing I miss most in my E...well, actually, it's the only thing, since I solved the armrest issue by installing the storage armrest.

I do think that it was sort of silly of Honda to put the loops for the bungees and then not include the cords with the car, but they probably wouldn't have provided the nice bright orange ones that I installed.

I guess the only other modification would be to do something about the dash, so that I could put the steering wheel as low as I like it (I'm shorter than Diane!) and still be able to see the top of the speedometer.

Kristi

·
Registered
92 Posts
My requests would be:

1. Lockable interior storage, bigger that the glovebox. My suggestion would be (as previously suggested) to move the spare under or behind the vehicle, and make a locking lid for the current spare tire well.

2. Removable passenger seat.

3. More tie down points in the cargo area.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:924753cd19="Sons of Liberty"]3. More tie down points in the cargo area.[/quote:924753cd19]

I took advantage of the LATCH system points in the ceiling near the lift gate, in addition to the four near-floor mounted tie down points while moving a large TV and other items for a friend who was moving. It was a bungie-fest. With a bit more creativity, it might be possible to use the other accessory mounting points in the hatch area as well.

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:03db9b5929="MikeQBF"]Just shedding a little bit of rain on this parade! :mrgreen:

>#1-A Hybrid Engine. ...

The larger the vehicle, the poorer the return using the current hybrid technologies. Until there is an exponential improvement in efficiency, storage and recovery, this - sadly - is a non-starter. Ford's finding this out the hard way with the Escape Hybrid, which has been delayed for the fourth or fifth time as the road test results don't match the hype. Apparently some non-engineers are calling the shots somewhere.[/quote:03db9b5929]

This is just a wishlist of what we would like to see. I would like to see this, and there has to be some engineer in the world working on this, or someone actually putting effort into attaining this.

I do agree with the full-size spare, but still would like it mounted underneath.

So add 7. Full-size Spare

***This forum is for what we would like to see in upcoming versions of the Honda Element. This is essentially a wish list of ideas that Honda can incorporate into future models. I hope people who post on this forum can stick to this subject and let people wish what they want. We all know that the technology may not be there, but these are the things we think would make the Element better (for us). (no shots-just trying to keep the forum clean for our Honda visitors)

*edit*I would ask all members to submit your ideas, even if it doubles up on someone elses idea. This will show which ideas are the most common throughout the forum.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ooh. Costs. The E is already too expensive for its target market, and I don't think it could tolerate the $600-800 premium a power roof would add. As an option, maybe, but Honda's never been too keen on separate options that have to be handled during manufacturing.
I guess perspective is everything. I think the the element is low priced. 29,900 for a AWD Y in Canada. While the CRV is a better value for the same my, the element, in my mind is a great price. You can get a GM car for under 18k, but you get what you pay for.

My top four changes are:

1) Powered rear window and sunroof. With dash switches similar to the mini cooper.

2) Better front seat, the CRV seats are great, just put the element fabric on them.

3) A standard large centre console, but removable when you need the space or want to walk through on long trips.

4) More selection and better priced trim accesories. I would love to color match the interior trim and nice looking gages. (The PT cruiser seems to have a lot of way to customize it.)

Just thoughts. As for the weight capacity, I don't have an issue. GVW minus curb weight leave over 850 lbs this seems plenty for my needs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here's my "whine" list:

1.steering wheel controls for the radio like the pilot
2.offer the same door cladding to protect from dings as you have for the CRV.
3.adjustable passenger seat and a more adjustable driver seat.
4.a "FULL SIZE" spare like the CRV. None of this mickey mouse [email protected]
5.fix the composite panels. They are too easy to mess up.
6.place the emergency brake, if possible, like the CRV. On the dash.
7.lighted vanity mirrors (wife added that one)
8.a compass and trip computer where the overhead compartment is or offer a entertainment center. The compartment is a waste of space. I use it but you can use that space more wisely.
9.A locking gas cap door. Come on how hard can that be. You have it on all your other cars.
10.Day time running lights or just for the gauges. They are hard to see sometimes because they are so deep.
11.legs for the bloddy table that are like the CRV's!
12.easy access to the trailer hitch lights plug. I'm not about to rip up my interior for this. I know I read the posts about another way.
13.A better cabana for the back. It should be a tunnel leading to a tent.
14.Make the ipod an option for god's sake. Don't tease us with it and then don't offer it.
15.Fog light covers. I didn't know they were glass until I bought them.
16.Powered rear windows and sunroof. (just for the tilt and make it open wider) I can't reach back there when I need air!
17.Speaking of windows the front windows need ventshades or something else. The noise is baffling. It sounds like pac-man is chewing on my ear.
18.Better cupholders. They are too low to the floor. There must be something you can do.

A lot of stuff huh? Well it's because I spend almost 4 hours of my life every weekday in my "E" going to work. I have 4000 miles on here and it hasn't been a month yet.

I'll add more as they come to me. :wink:

p.s. you think I should have bought another CRV :lol:

"LOVE MY HONDA'S AND LOVE MY E!"

·
Registered
75 Posts
1. Hybrid engine
2. Remote fuel door release
3. Front seats that can be turned around (for those "Dorm Room" parties)
4. Fully opening power rear windows
5. Built-in sunroof shadescreen
6. Vinyl or FCX headliner
7. Passenger side door lock switch
8. Less hard plastic in the interior, especially the door panels
9. Revised cargo cover that does not impede functionality of the rear seats
10. Hybrid engine
11. Hybrid engine
12. Hybrid engine (I really want a hybrid!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. The following as standard features, not options -
bungees, passenger side arm rest, table legs, keyless entry on EX

2. Rear seats that can turn around

3. Dog hair repellant seats ;-)

4. MPH that matches what is on the sticker or betters it! (20 is the best I get)

5. More storage

6. Rear windows that roll down

7. On rear seats, a design that allows you to reveal cupholders when needed. When they are not being used let us have that space back as upholstery.

8. I agree, lighted vanity mirrors!

9. Hooks to hang drycleaning from.

10. Optional navigation would be nice too!

[/list]

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:1bbb24965f="HokiE"]5. More storage[/quote:1bbb24965f]

I've got a NHBP E. At night, you can't even *see* the in-dash storage areas. Perhaps a "nightlight" level of illumination, keyed off the dash illumination, might be useful?

I'm thinking of harvesting some of those "traser" tritium keychain tubes and installing them in the creases of the storage units (with a clear cover, as they're fragile). That'd provide less-than-nightlight illumination at night.

-brendan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts