Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a what looks to be a well maintained 05 Element AWD w/ 108k miles.

He added factory honda arms rest, changed the belt, and some other mods. Car has 108,000 miles and I'm going to get it around 7400ish. You think this is a good price and should there be anything I need to be checking out/worried about when looking at the car. He said he drove 40k miles all highway for work which explains the high mileage on an 05 vehicle. Are there any maintenance issues that need to be addressed or anything I need to check out in the car to make sure everything is okay? Also, what are the more expensive maintenance I will need done?

He says he gets 22mpg on highway? Isn't this kind of low?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you search for posts on gas mileage you will see that it varies greatly and debate rages. Not everyone is satisfied. I had hoped for the 22mpg range and that's what what I might get on a good tank driving under ideal circumstances. For the size of the engine and the weight of the car, many believe that the E should get better mileage. There are some physically larger V-6 vehicles that get comparative fuel economy. People still debate this 'til they're blue in the face, but don't buy this car expecting to be impressed with gas mileage. Look at the worst MPG people get and the best MPG people claim to get and average it out for a rough idea. My two cents if MPG is important to you.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had a 2005 with a 5 M/T and my wife had a 2005 with the 4 A/T. My E averaged 23.5 MPG in mixed suburban/rural/highway driving while the wife's got 21.5 MPG in the same mix. The 22MPG seems like an honest estimate, though with the A/T you should be able to see 24MPG on mostly level highways under 60MPH. The K series Honda 4 Cylinder engine is a wonderful powerplant capable of gas mileage in the mid 30's-- in an Accord or Civic. Pushing a heavy vehicle shaped like a slightly rounded brick through the wind,low to mid 20's is darn good.

As for your other concerns with over 100K on an '05- the valves need adjusted at 130K and if the struts haven't been replaced- they will need to be done soon. One of the reasons I traded my E at just 57K was impending strut replacement. Western Pa has BAD roads.

Both our E's were solid vehicles which we sold due to financial concerns. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 2005 Element if I was in the market.
(matter of fact- if my wife is able to keep working, I'm certain we'll have another E in the stable) If the previous owner treated the E you are looking to buy with reasonable care, you will have many miles of fun without too much grief.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had a 2005 with a 5 M/T and my wife had a 2005 with the 4 A/T. My E averaged 23.5 MPG in mixed suburban/rural/highway driving while the wife's got 21.5 MPG in the same mix. The 22MPG seems like an honest estimate, though with the A/T you should be able to see 24MPG on mostly level highways under 60MPH. The K series Honda 4 Cylinder engine is a wonderful powerplant capable of gas mileage in the mid 30's-- in an Accord or Civic. Pushing a heavy vehicle shaped like a slightly rounded brick through the wind,low to mid 20's is darn good.

As for your other concerns with over 100K on an '05- the valves need adjusted at 130K and if the struts haven't been replaced- they will need to be done soon. One of the reasons I traded my E at just 57K was impending strut replacement. Western Pa has BAD roads.

Both our E's were solid vehicles which we sold due to financial concerns. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 2005 Element if I was in the market.
(matter of fact- if my wife is able to keep working, I'm certain we'll have another E in the stable) If the previous owner treated the E you are looking to buy with reasonable care, you will have many miles of fun without too much grief.
How much will strut replacement cost approx at a dealer and your estimate of what a mechanic SHOULD charge. I know some mechanics that work out of their house, would this be an easy job for them? What valve will need adjustment and how much should that run as well.

also what is the difference between the LX and EX models?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The engine valves in the cylinder head are the ones needing adjustment @130K

SEE THIS THREAD

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8768&highlight=valve+adjustment&page=2

As for the struts, prices run all over.

Best way would be to purchase complete front strut assemblies form an on-line vendor (around $200 each- complete with springs, mounts and bushings) and have a local shop install them. The rear suspension has numerous bushings that will need replaced along with the strut, shock unit.
Total job with OEM parts at a local shop -I'm guessing is around $700-$850 for front and rear. My local dealer quoted $1500- which is ridiculous.

LX-steel wheels with plastic covers, No armrests, cheaper stereo, regular cloth on the back seats.
EX- Alloy Wheels, overhead console with map lights and storage, FXC seat material on all four seats, arm rests, seven speaker stereo with sub-woofer and AUX input jack for iPod etc. Rear power outlet.

On either LX or EX- if it has the sunroof in the rear it is 4WD. No sunroof is just front wheel drive. Both of our e's were EX models, the only thing I would really miss in an LX would be the overhead console, as all the other stuff is easy to upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts