Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my first post (looking for some help)
I just had my local certified mechanic replace an ABS wheel sensor on the right rear wheel of my 04 Element. The ABS light was on and his Genesis syetem read the error 15-01. This being an open circuit or grounded on the right rear wheel. After installing the wheel sensor there was no change in the status. He would reset the code and the light would go out and then immediately come back on again. The Wheel sensor apparently was not the problem. What else Should we be now looking for. Is there a common issue that people have had with this issue.

Thanks Guys
Chris

·
Registered
751 Posts
After you get that profile filled maybe someone in your area can recommend a mechanic that knows how to troubleshoot. I'd start looking for the short first and replace the sensor last but, that's just following the logic of what the computer claims the problem is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also Have the same problem... It's been 6 months that the ABS and emergency brake lights are on. I've been to canadian tire to replace a wheel bearing and they broke a ABS sensor. After a few weeks they replaced the broken sensor but the light wont come off. They told me there's no communication with the computer and they are not able to erase the code...
Please Help !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Perhaps they installed the wheel bearing backward. Element's wheel bearing is magnetically encoded on one side. ABS sensor extends into over the bearing race edge to determine the wheel speed. The sensor must be within 0.5mm ~ 1.5mm from the bearing.

In any case, I would think if they break it, they are responsible for fix it. Whatever the problem is....

B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Exactly What i'm thinking also... They put the good bearing in with the sensor... I will look if the gap if correct, is it adjustable ?? They told me it might have a reset procedure ?? is it true ??? Probably the next thing I will do is I will leave my E to the dealer and give the bill to canadian tire..
thanks for the help !

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is no reset procedure as per factory manual. That's a common excuse for repair shop to say, "I don't know what I'm doing".

I just check the factory manual and it appear if the sensor can't read mag encoder correctly, it should throw code 23 for right rear wheel. Code 15 is specifically refer to circuit short/short to ground/short to power. In another word, either the sensor is bad or wires that are used to connect the sensor to the ABS controller is damaged.

If you are pretty handy and comfortable with electronic, you can run a few test to find out if it's the wire or the sensor. Since no one touched the wire, my bet would be on the sensor, or the first connector leading up from the wheel sensor.

Anyway, the terminal you should test is the ABS module control unit 47P. Reading from female connector side, pin 43 is the signal and 42 is ground for right rear wheel sensor. The sensor is basically a diode. So, resistant reading with motor off should be infinity in one direction while short at the other.

B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks ASM !!!
Can you tell me where this ABS module is ??? I will check that out. They also replaced the sensor and bearing, so I guess they are good.. but you never know... They told me that there is no communication with the computer is it possible ?

thanks

·
12,179 Posts
You need to get it to a shop that knows what they are doing and confirm the code that is being thrown. If you don't have the correct code you maybe wasting your time trying to find the wrong solution to the problem.

I deal with this all the time. We sell bearings to outside shops and they call back to tell us we sold them the wrong bearing.

If the bearing was installed backwards the code will never go away.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ABS module is the computer.

Unless they have been fiddling around the ABS module, I wouldn't be concern with if module is working. If I were you, I'll start check from the wheel sensor they replaced.

B

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just changed the ASB modulator, the ABS light and parking brake light is still on ... How do I reset de ABS code ?
I dont have a OBDII scanner who reads ABS code ... I have try to jump the pin no 4-9 press the pedal ect... doesn't work ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts