Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - this is my first post, so go easy on me :-D

I have a 2006 Element 2WD EX-P AT in excellent condition with about 66K miles, which is great for hauling my canine menagerie with the rear seats removed. It's too bad the rear windows don't roll down for those canines who love to stick their heads out, but that's another story...

A couple weeks ago, I drove my Element one day - no issues at all. I parked the car in the garage, and a couple days later, came out to drive it somewhere. I opened the door and noticed the dome light did not come on. I slid in, and put the key in the ignition and twisted it.

Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

The engine would not turn over, and the starter solenoid would not even click. Just - nothing at all.

My first thought was the battery had gone completely dead. So I put the battery on a trickle charger overnight, and tried again in the morning.

So I'm thinking it's a bad battery, and later that day, I picked up a new Bosch battery of the right size, and swapped out the old battery for the Bosch. Tried the ignition again -

I asked a friend of mine who knows a bit about Hondas, and he suggested I try tapping the brake pedal to see if the brake lights came on. If they did, the problem was a blown No. 19 100-amp fuse. I tried that, and the brake lights worked, so I went to the Honda dealer and got a new No. 19 fuse (the invoice called it a relay) and for good measure, I got a new "battery relay" as the fuse panel cover called it. I installed both those relays, and tried the ignition again.

The brake lights work, and so do the 4-way flashers. But not the interior lights or the headlights. So the battery works, kind of. But with no response even from the starter, I'm stumped. The vehicle is out of warranty too, so...

Short of paying to have the vehicle towed to a repair shop and paying the big bucks for a fix, what else could I try that might help?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looking at the pictures in my manual, 19 should be a 100 amp fuse. There's also a 50 amp ignition fuse, I'd look at it to see if it is blown. Both are fuses, you should be able to visually inspect to verify if they are blown or not.

The problem is, if the fuse is blown and you replaced it with a good fuse, then that fuse blows, there something that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. No. 19 was an opaque silver metallic cube, so I couldn't see whether or not it was blown. The replacement is opaque black plastic. It sits on the leading edge of the fuse panel, in the center. The battery fuse, a smaller opaque black rectangle, sits next to it. I'll have to look for the ignition fuse - is it a clear blade-type fuse with the wire bridge between the contacts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
power problem

i am having similar problems i have a 2006 also i parked it and when i went to start it nothing i thought i might have a bad battery i was able to jump start it i drove it around when i placed a lot of current drain on (put on ac headlights etc the gauges started to flash) any advice or help would be appreciated is it the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Power Problem

Have you checked the connections to your battery to make sure they are clean and tight? Your brake lights may function with a loose or corroded battery / ground connection(s) but when you attempt to load the battery with the stater it could not work. Start with the simple obvious things first. If you find any fuses that are open then you have an electrical problem somwhere. Those issues are best left to a professional who can read a schematic and use a meter, unless of course you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts