Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 E with 145K.
So My AC stopped engaging. It now only blows warm air.

All lights and relays are good.

One day it was working fine, then the compressor disengaged and wouldn't engage again. The next day it engaged for 20 min blew ice cold, then disengaged and wouldn't engage again.

Checked my lowside and it's a 110 psi???

I had this happen on another car and I replaced the coil for $100. Took some work, but saved me over $1,000.

Does this sound like a AC coil problem? How can I tell if the whole compressor is dead? I don't think it is as when the clutch was engaged, it blew ice cold!

Help!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
How'd you check your low side if the compressor won't run?

Have you ever done anything to it like adding gas? You could get the same problem on some makes by simply having a bad wiring connection. Need more info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How'd you check your low side if the compressor won't run?

Have you ever done anything to it like adding gas? You could get the same problem on some makes by simply having a bad wiring connection. Need more info.
Heyo!
I guess I should have said, I took a low side reading while the engine was running but the compressor wasn't engaged. I actually was mistaken in my first post. It wasn't 110 psi it was 90 psi. I had bought gas as I thought it might need to be added, but after taking the "at rest" reading, I decided not to add anything. What should the low side be at rest?

As far as electrical I swapped my horn and AC relay. No change...
I will use a volt meter and check that the coil is getting power tonight.

I planned on buying the whole compressor...
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...04.html?intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

Then I would strip the coil and clutch from the new unit and put them on the old compressor and toss the new body on Ebay. I know it sounds a little over kill, but having a full new compressor on my bench might help me be able to work on the one attached to the engine and it's only like $40 extra when the clutch and coil came out to $200 already.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If the compressor isn't running then you can't measure anything. You also can't tell how much gas is in it or how much to put in either. The reason I asked if you'd added gas recently is that you can make a compressor act like your description if it's been massively over-filled with freon. If you haven't done this, then the only way you can tell right now if it has the right amount of gas inside is by vacuuming out the old gas and refilling it by weight.

First thing you NEED to do is determine why the thing won't start - could be wiring, could be a bad coil, could be jammed up with debris inside. It's not a "guess I'll try that and see" game unless you've got lots and lots of money to spend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First thing I would do is unplug the connector for the compressor and see if it is getting 12v, use a multimeter. If it has 12v and you plug it back in and the compressor doesnt kick on the coil is bad and most likely the rest of the compressor is fine. My a/c clutch/coil went out like 40k miles ago and I just did the coil and its been running fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright.
Verified today it's the ac coil. 1st I used a multi-meter and found it WAS getting power. Then I hit it with a charge from a spare 12v marine battery just to be sure. No click.

I pulled off the serpentine belt and spun it with my hand. Compressor is fine, no grind or full seize.

Eric - We're you able to replace the coil from inside the wheel well without draining fluid?
Or did you drop the whole compressor and do it on the bench?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way, it can be done without disconnecting lines, I removed the radiator/condenser fan on the passenger side to get some more space. It is not fun nor easy to do, I also had to remove the mounting bolts because of the c-clip that needs to be removed to switch out the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I hate when people answer a question and never follow-up.

So, here's what went down.
I decided to do the job myself and ordered a full compressor. Best case scenario I pull it apart and put on the new coil on the old compressor through the wheel. Worst case I drop the whole compressor and swap it out completely.

In order to be prepped for this I went to a local shop to have him drain the system, just in case I ended up dropping the whole compressor.

Mechanic was rad guy. We chatted for like an hour. He listened to all my diagnosis and confirmed what I was doing was the right thing, but didn't love my idea of just swapping out the coil. He put it up on the lift and then came back.

He said it was a slow day, i had the compressor with me. He would swap out the full compressor for next to nothing. I sat there for a second and said, what the hell, do it.

Went and got lunch and came back two hours later to a new compressor.

Now I got ice cold A/C and a new compressor...

I'm a tad disappointed in myself because i wanted to prove i could do it. But logically what he offered to do it for, in a proper shop with the right tools was too good a deal.

I suppose I helped out a local business, but there's too many posts on here of people paying $1600 for an A/C fix. I know you can swap a coil out through the wheel and fix this for $100 yourself. I hope someone makes a step by step in the future, sorry it wasn't me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts