Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you please tell me how to locate the AC drain hose under the E? I have water on the passenger side floor and think I might need to find and unclog the drain hose. What does it look like? Exactly where under the E is it located?

Thanks,

John
Baltimore

·
Registered
284 Posts
I checked the service manual, they don't specifically seem to mention the a/c drain.

In directions for replacing the whole heater unit, however, I find instructions to 'disconnect drain hose' with a figure that hints of a tube passing thru the firewall just to the centre of the car from the gas pedal (bottom left corner of heater, facing front of car). (Page 21-44). It looks to me like that tube could easily get plugged on the engine compartment side, causing the back-up and overflow you report. Maybe crawl under, check firewall behind tranny and see if you're plugged. Taking out the whole heater looks to be a chore.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I,m guessing what you describe is normal. After using the a/c on our E, there is a puddle located under the car on the passenger side (in front of or behind the r/f tire--can't remember). This condition has ocurred since the E was new. Also happened on our prior owned '98 Nissan Quest in approximately the same location.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
John, I had the same thing happen on another car of mine. What you need to do is get a hand up behind the dash blind and feel around for where it is wet. Then just keep feeling around until you find the a/c and the hose running between the a/c and then through the firewall. You will need to disconnect the hose at the a/c and clear it out. Either the hose itself is clogged or the a/c itself is clogged. What generally happens is if you live near trees, or lots of trees fall onto your car the broken pieces of leaves work their way into the core and clogs it. It is normal, but a pain in the neck.

You don't say what year Element you have but for this to have happened I'd guess you have an early 2003, or you live under a ton of trees.

This procedure is generally a royal pain in the neck to do and can take you quite a while to accomplish. I'd recommend heading to the dealer, biting the bullet and letting them clean the a/c out and the hose for you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locating AC Drain Hose Follow-Up

I am happy to report that after a second after work attemt to locate the AC drian hose last night I found it roughly in the middle of the car under the fire wall protruding about one inch out hortizontally just above a silver plate where the bottom of the car clears the ground. I shot some compressed air up into the hose and after wiggling it got some water to trikle out of it but after driving it last night and this morning have observed no more signs of water like there is plenty of on the floor inside the car. It seems that the clog might be on the other end of the hose where it meets the AC unit. When I changed the cabin filters last night behind the glove box I noticed a good amount of tree debree which is no surprise since I park the car in front of my house right next to a large mature cluster of trees. Unless I can find out, and reach, where the hose meets the AC unit I guess I will indeed need to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer and have them clean out the system. I am wondering if I did somehow find where the hose meets the AC, which I assume is also hehind the glove box near where the cabin filters are, how would I clean out the hose. A can of compressed air does not seem like it would be able to dislodge tree debree and wondering if I should try and use a plumbing drain snake or something similar?

2003 SOP EX Manual

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
John, you can try getting to it, but the clog is most likely inside the a/c unit itself. once the hold is removed getting in there to remove the gunk will most likely require the removal of the a/c unit itself. It has to cost a few hours worth of labor, my guess is figure on 4-8 hours minimum, multiply that by the shop labor charge of ~$65/hour... it will add up pretty fast. Unless Honda designed the unit to be removed faster.

Even if compressed air had worked, it would only be a temporary "fix" because all it did was move the clog a little bit, it will settle back in there again.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I can see how the clog might be in the AC unit itself judging from all the tree debris I found in the cabin filters last night. Too bad there is not something you could introduce to the AC system to break-up whatever is in there like you would use drano for a sink clog. It looks like I will be dropping my car off at the dealer tonight on the way home from work and finding a way to pay for the cleaning. Might the car warrenty cover something like this? My E is at around 38 K at present.

John
_____
2003 SOP EX 4WD Manual

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used to have this happen quite often with my Nissan Pathfinder. My auto mechanic would just use an air compressor and blow out the drain hose.

I'm not sure if the same thing can be done with the E...maybe as your mechanic (NOT THE DEALER!)

·
Registered
369 Posts
John if you can see tree debre when you change out your cabin air filters. can you snake a piece of clear plastic tubing to the bottom? attach the other end to a vacuum and tape it /play-doh it in place to the larger hose and try that. the smaller particals you should be able to vacuum up, the large leafs ect. may stick to the end of the tubing. than you maybe able to put it in and pull it out as many times as it takes.... this may save you a few buck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I shot some compressed air up into the hose and after wiggling it got some water to trikle out of it

Might not of been a good idea. You might of made it worse by compacting what was there to begin with. You want to shoot the air torwards the open end of the tube instead.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Actually, let's get the terminology correct here! (I'm a pedant... :cool: )

The clog is NOT in the AC unit, more appropriately at this part of the system it would be the Evaporator housing. It is a clog from debris in the Evaproator PLENUM. That "air box" that directs the air through the evaporator and the AC ducting.

It does seems a though the top of the Plenum comes off in some manner from looking at the exploded drawing earlier in this thread. I would try to gain access to the plenum in the same manner as the detritus that has plugged the drain from the unit. Snaking some sort of tool under there, you may be able to drag it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AC Clog Problem Update/Closure

I ended up taking my E to the dealer and they were able to get the flow of water running out the drain hose under the car, and not inside on the passenger floor, by cleaning out the Evaporater Unit. I got the car back within 2 1/2 hours with no charge what so ever since it was still under warrenty by a few months according to the VIN lookup the dealer performed. Happy Ending!

2003 SOP EX Manual

·
Registered
155 Posts
Plugged drain, water in my E

Removing my seats and the floor pad during the installation of a heated seat kit, I discovered a lot of water underneath the passenger and the driver side. The soft foam padding is completely soaked with water. I later discovered, thanks to a post by fishless, that it might be my exterior windshield vent. Sure enough, I put a hose on the vent, turned on the water, and water starts running into the E on the front passenger side.

My question, does anyone have a scan, or exploded view of the windshield vent? I need to take it apart and see where the water is coming from. :mad:

I'm halfway through a heated seat kit installation, and would like to get this problem fixed first. A search has turned up nada on the mystery of the exterior vent.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Eureka! Found the Problem

Finally, I found the problem with water leaking into the passenger side of the E. I spent over an hour "vacuuming" the ac condensate drain, that didn't work. I shot compressed air up there, and that didn't work. I finally shot water up the hole, and guess what - yup, that didn't work either.

I then tore into the exterior air inlet screen below the windshield. I found the "hole" on the passenger side where rainwater drains down the wheel well. I couldn't find the answer, so I kept digging. (Removing parts off the E).
I knew I had a problem when I layed the garden hose up in the trough where rainwater runs down to be vented out. Turning the water on gently so that all it did was flow to the exit vent, I GOT WATER in the inside of the E. So, I figured there must be SOMETHING that is causing this.

And here it is...the photos show a simple situation that causes a big headache. You'll notice that the rear windshield fluid tubing runs through the car's body just below where the rainwater drains. And the grommet is MISSING. Or at least out of place. It was easy for water to run down this channel, hit the tubing and then drip right into the car. :mad:

I think I know how this happened. We purchased our E from a dealer, and this was a one owner vehicle. The passenger side of the car had been in a wreck. The car was repaired perfectly, except for probably this grommet or plug. I wonder if it was ever put in where it belongs? Probably not.

Well, I will not only put it back, but it will be seated with a healthy dose of clear silicon caulk, and anything else too that runs down that channel.

Thanks to fishlee for his suggestion. Hope this never happens to anyone else, but if so, the fix isn't as hard as it might seam. Now I just have to put my car back together tomorrow. :twisted:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
water inside

Great pics ! I'm the original post on this subject , as you can see , it's been a while since , and I couldn't find the problem either ! One thing though , I bought my "E" new , so i'm wondering if it's the same grommet that's causing my headache ? But now thanks to you , i've found that project I was looking for this july 4th weekend . I can hear the misses now "The steaks are burning , are you working on that car again"

RUBY NYC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks guys. Jesbecause, the easiest way to reach this hole on the outside is to remove the wheel well plastic and side panel. As you probably know, it comes off fairly easily by removing a few screws, one bolt, and the snap plugs.

My goal is to get my heated seat kit installed over the 4th, and now my mind can rest easy since finding this water leak.

Here's a few more photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I had this prob before and I used compressed air and just shot it up the condensation tube....It blew through the debris but this is with another older car not my E....My window unit in my house gets clogged too and I just blast some water from a waterhose...but, I don't advise to use water in your E......It will get caught in the Evaporator case and mold will form....Hope this helps...cool

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
another thing you might want to check is your condensation hose being kinked or not fully connected to the outlet...cool

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
yeah I've seen those threads.. I think I am just going to have to get in there and really try to find it. If I do I will post a picture.

Thanks!
The article titled What A/C causes sloshing sounds? seems to have a very detailed description of where to find the drain. I haven't gone in to try find it myself yet.

Good luck though. I'd love to see some pictures if get a chance to take them. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts