Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just got a 2003 E today!!!:D On my drive home I noticed a weird sound when my AC/Heater fan was on. It would come and go with bumps and was louder when the fan was on high and quitter when it was on low.:confused:

I saw one thread about this, but I didn't see a solution. Anyone have an idea what I should look at?

Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
It is either debris in your blower motor or the bearing in it is going for a poop. I have seen customers' vehicles come in with what looks like a mouse nest inside the squirrel cage (the white fan part of the motor which moves the air), or some have leaves and maples keys around the fall time (don't ask me how some of those things get in there so easily and in such mass quantities LOL).

If you are comfortable taking it out to inspect, it is under the passenger side dash. There are three Phillips screws holding it in and a connector you need to unplug. If there is nothing in the squirrel cage, then I would suspect the bearing in the motor is on it's way out.

Bear in mind if you have debris in the blower motor, it would be a good idea to check your HVAC cabin filters as well (they can be accessed behind the glove box). Chances are they have crap in them as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going out on a limb here but I would start with the blower motor.
Or I suppose you could start with the rear passenger side inside brake pad. But I think you'll be better off with the blower motor. :D
I started with the break pad but it still has that noise, so I guess I'll look at the blower motor. :D

only kidding. Since I just bought the E I had no clue where the blower was. Thank you generation x dad. I took the blower out (looks good, nothing is broken on it) and a couple of little leafs fell out, the filters are also really dirty. I am going to get new cabin filters and clean everthing out and see if that helps.

Thank you for the help. Will update Monday if this works.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I second the blower motor. I took it out today because of a high speed vibration when my air was turned on high regardless of A/C, heat, or just air. Turns out there was a thin strip of rubber "sponge" that was in there causing it to wobble while spinning. I have no idea where the hell it came from and it might even have been from when I had my windshield replaced.

My problem arose when i swapped my air filters the day before so it's possible that thing was stuck at the air filter level but finally got through when I pulled the air filters.

Anyways, thanks for suggesting the blower motor. I never would have thought to look :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts