Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend has an 04 2WD LX AT with 83,000 miles.

Yesterday his AC stopped blowing cold air, although the green AC light is on. The air actually feels warmer than ambient air.

When you switch the AC on, you can hear the engine RPMs increase, but it is really hard to tell if the compressor actually kicks in, seems like it is, but hard to be sure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
First check the fusebox under the hood for a blown fuse it will be the one for the AC fan, replace it, if it blows again it is the AC fan (facing E fan is on left),also check the temp gauge if the fan is dead the temp will get higher.Happened to me last year, not too expensive to replace if you diy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blower works, the A/C condenser fan runs when you switch the a/c on, the green indicator light illuminates when you switch the a/c on, the RPM's increase, everything looks/sounds like it should, just the air isn't cold. I did get it to start cooling, then it stopped again. The refrigerant is good, meaning it isn't low.

Stumped.

·
Registered
480 Posts
... The refrigerant is good, meaning it isn't low...
How do you know? Did you connect gauges and verify high and low pressures? If so, what were the pressures?

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I can't say absolutely. I have not checked the pressure.

I said that because it did get cold at some point and then it quit again.

Last night I checked to be sure the compressor was kicking in, but it doesn't look like it is, , the light is on, the RPMs kick up, the engine sounds like the compressor is on, but I didn't see it turning. It's hard to see because of it's position.

I checked all the fuses last night, they were good. the relays seem to be good, I took a good one and swapped the remaining ones with it.

He is going to take it in tomorrow to have a check.

thanks for all the help. It is really appreciated.

Tommy

·
Registered
156 Posts
does he have a faulty heater cotrol valve allowing the heat to be on?

Take a pair of needle nose vice grips and clamp (easy now) the heater hoses and see what happens.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This probably isn't your problem but I had the same thing happen after I drove my E off the dealer lot. Of course it worked great during the test drive Turned out to be an AC hose that got crimped too tight and the cold air couldn't get through. Easy fix and fortunately it had to go back to get a couple add-ons installed anyhow. Haven't had trouble with it since.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How about a compressor that gives out a squeal when it first engages but doesn't get cold? It's not a belt slipping. Sound like compressor or clutch? Any experiences? I have 180,000 miles so I know something is bound to die on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check condenser, its not uncommon for them to "rot" over time, mine had a small pin hole. When they pressure tested it the first time they didn't think much because it was only slightly low, but low enough to make it un-cold. They found it the second time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had the same problem with our element. Green AC light was on.. ac fan was working fine... the mechanic looking at it told me i needed a new AC clutch. Fortunately before he went in to replace it he discovered that it was just a relay!! He stole the horn relay and tried it.. and we have AC again!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mr. Accord,

Good news. But your diagnoses got me to thinking...Why didn't the tech check for voltage at the compressor clutch REAL early on in his fault finding?

Rule number 1...Is the compressor clutch getting power?

Just makes me wonder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ac

check the condenser fan, is it turning on? if not give it a tap and see if it engages...When the ac is turned on. Does the ac blow cool when you are moving?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 03. Did you ever get a resolution? It's summer in Texas and my ass isn't built for this heat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see this thread hasn't really had the questions answered, but i'll try anyway.
I'm having an A/C issue in my 2007 SC.

History; Bought the car last summer. 200k on the odo so i hade some issues. A/C shut off and i found out needed to replace both fans. Replaced the fans, no A/C issues.

Current issue; Last month the A/C started to come and go. especially in warmer weather. I recharged the coolant and checked the pressure. It wasn't in the acceptable range, but i gave it some to reach the bottom of the yellow on the gauge, and the a/c was blowing cold. That day the outside temperature was moderate and the car had not been running so the engine was cool.

Today it's pretty hot, and when i started driving just after noon the a/c was blowing. then in about 10 minutes it stopped blowing cool, and the a/c clutch or compressor never kicked in. The engine temp gauge never climbed above half way. I've been aware of the temp gauge since i had to replace the fans last year. But i'm wondering if there is another sensor that is associated with temp that does not allow the a/c compressor to work to avoid adding more load.

Could use the help. i'll try some things, and if they work out, i'll leave it in this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My problem has been solved. Turns out my issue was a blown relay switch. This seems to be a common A/C problem in a lot of Hondas. Pulled the relay and when i shook it i could hear something rattling inside. Immediately knew this was the problem. put the horn relay into the a/c position and the compressor engaged, and the air came out ice cold.

Replacement switch from the local parts store is $7.99... whew😅😅

If your fans are working, and your system is charged, then check the relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back to the drawing board. Issue is still happening. A/C works when the car starts, compressor kicks on, but stops working after the car gets warm, and never kicks back on again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts