Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So i am still having an issue with my A/C. I have narrowed it down to the clutch not engaging when the car is at normal operating temperature. On a cold start the a/c clutch engages. and runs fine. during the time before it reaches the running temperature, i can toggle the a/c switch on and off and the cloth will engage and disengage no problem. When the car's temperature gauge reaches the normal run temperature, the a/c clutch will no longer engage.

I am now researching what thermostat, or temp gauge effects the a/c clutch. Would love some input on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After sitting in the car and watching the temperature gauge slowly climb until the A/C clutch will stop engageing, I have decided that the cooling system is not working sufficiently.

I will site my warped radiator. I have ordered a replacement radiator and at 200k+ miles i am going to also change the heater hoses, water temp sensor, and thermostat. Already replaced both cooling fans last year. This is when i noticed that my radiator was warped.

in cooler temperatures i never had issues with the A/C not working, but with the height of summer, this Honda system needs to be perfect in order to keep the temperature within specs to keep allowing the a/c clutch to engage. Obviously this is designed to prevent the engine from over heating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After replacing the Radiator, and electively the water temp sensor, and thermostat, i no longer have issues with the a/c clutch not engaging. I tried all the other suggestions i read about over the multiple threads and different forums. This was ultimately what has worked for my problem.

So if you are having the issue where the a/c blows cold at start and then does not kick back on after the engine gets to running temp, i say check your engine coolant system and make sure your anti-freeze levels are sufficient. Flushing the old coolant and replacing it is probably a better idea and only cost you the price of the new coolant. The Honda control system is specific and sensitive. If it's not just right, it's gonna stop the a/c when it gets too warm.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts