Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded from my 03 manual trans. AWD to an '06 manual trans AWD all-wheel drive with a paint matched eCamper!! The compressor has just a little bit of noise when engaged though. I'm hoping to put off and hopefully avoid significant AC repairs, what's the easiest way to add oil or do whatever I need to do
to prevent a compressor replacement in the relatively near future?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Is it a good idea to evacuate some of the existing older refrigerant first, and do you know how that's done without significant shop equipment? I'm pretty handy around most vehicles but haven't done much HVAC stuff.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,091 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do have a little experience with A/C and I'll share with you what I do know. So here goes!

If you remove the little caps on the A/C ports, there are little Schrader valves in there like a tire has. I suppose if in doubt you could let out a little refrigerant, preferably through the low pressure side (never touch the high pressure side when the A/C and motor are running).

The simple hardware that comes with one of the recharge kits they sell at your local auto parts store may be able to be used again with one of the oil charge cans as well. Just ask at the store.

And, a R134a manifold gauge set from Harbor Freight wouldn't break the bank. I think I got mine on sale for around $40. That would at least get you a better idea of where you are at with your total refrigerant level.

But in a modern A/C system there isn't a lot of wiggle room for total refrigerant level. Over or under by a few ounces will cause it to work less efficiently.

If it seems to be cooling well right now, perhaps the simplest way is to just add the oil charge (the can in the link I showed was only 3 ounces), and if it seems to cool not as well afterward, you could let a little refrigerant out of the low side.

I know a lot of the theory on A/C, but most of my actual experience is Very Outdated! I'm going to date myself and say I long for the old days with the 1970's era GM R-12 systems! You could be +/- a pound on one of those systems and they would still cool just fine! (Of course though every one of those old systems leaked refrigerant to some degree too, and they needed at least a partial recharge about once a year at best!)

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Unless you see evidence that oil leaked out of the system, you should probably not be adding any. Get a set of gauges and see what the high/low side pressures are. If they are normal, there is no way the system could have lost oil without loosing R134a. Then just live with the noise until the compressor quits, not much you can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts