Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st , not sure where to put this thread so I chose "Interor"...so Mr.Moderator don't hurt me.... :wink: ........
Here it is.........I noticed that when I put the defroster ON, even thou the AC light is not ON........the AC is ON.........do I make any sense??...because if I leave the defroster ON for a period of time it gets wicked cold on the INTERIOR ( :wink: ...)........so alike my RSX I used this "code" given to me by another RSX owner who just wanted to have the defroster on and no AC...
Also having the AC on when you don't want it will IMO wastes gas...??.....well here it is:
Car is off.
Fan knob turned to off - counterclockwise
Temperature knob all the way counterclockwise (blue)
Vent knob in the face position - NOT the auto position
Push and hold the left 2 buttons (not the rear window defrost)
While holding, start the car and continue to hold
Wait for the A/C button to flash (about 7 seconds)
Repeat process
Done. You can now control the A/C on defrost mode, though it will still turn on automatically.

I just wanted to share this with and pass it on .......maybe it works on all HONDAS.........I know it did on both my cars.... :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
You don't need to start the car, just put it in the RUN position.

This works on all makes of Hondas, 2002 and on.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think Honda's intent was to dehumidify the air as a part of the defrost operation. This is a good fix to knowabout. Does it revert to the standard behaviour after a battery disconnect?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I always thought they did this to cycle the compressor during the winter months. This way nothing gets locked up during the time the A/C is normally off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In my wife's 98 Civic, the defrost is the same way. I noticed though that it defrosts quicker when the AC is on. Just rotate the knob to the higher heat setting if you don't want to freeze.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote:b230e5d29c="JoeDOHC"]I always thought they did this to cycle the compressor during the winter months. This way nothing gets locked up during the time the A/C is normally off.[/quote:b230e5d29c]

Personally I turn the AC on a couple of times during the Winter just to make sure all the belts wont dry up.........so don't bother to do this set up if you worry about "locking" anything up... :?: [quote:b230e5d29c="isketerol"]I think Honda's intent was to dehumidify the air as a part of the defrost operation. This is a good fix to knowabout. Does it revert to the standard behaviour after a battery disconnect?[/quote:b230e5d29c]

I don't think so since I've disconnected the battery cable from my RSX -S when I installed a cold air intake and after the AC works on my command only..... :D

[quote:b230e5d29c="ElementalWon"]In my wife's 98 Civic, the defrost is the same way. I noticed though that it defrosts quicker when the AC is on. Just rotate the knob to the higher heat setting if you don't want to freeze.[/quote:b230e5d29c]

IMO.....is like turning on the heat in the winter instead of turning the ac system off in the house...why run both....??...I like to have total control of the car when I drive and also of the temperature.......so if is cold.....the heater goes on......and when hot I turn the AC on........but if the weather is great........I turn the defroster on with the windows open so that I can recirculate the air period. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
First thing I did when I got my E home was update the settings so I could disable a/c with defrost. But I really don't like it when cars don't allow the use of a/c with defrost.

It clears fog a lot faster if you dehumidify the air using the a/c. I just like to be able to turn off the a/c when the fog is gone. I like that it still comes on automatically when I switch to defrost, and now that the light comes on for the a/c it isn't "hidden" functionality. A/C doesn't only cool air, it removes excess moisture from the air.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote:f7325e52b1="Staggie"]First thing I did when I got my E home was update the settings so I could disable a/c with defrost. But I really don't like it when cars don't allow the use of a/c with defrost.

It clears fog a lot faster if you dehumidify the air using the a/c. I just like to be able to turn off the a/c when the fog is gone. I like that it still comes on automatically when I switch to defrost, and now that the light comes on for the a/c it isn't "hidden" functionality. A/C doesn't only cool air, it removes excess moisture from the air.[/quote:f7325e52b1]

I just wished I would have done it when I got the E home from the dealer....is my wife's car so I hardly ever drive it, but when I do I noticed that it got cold with the defrost ON and the AC light wasn't ON....but when we got back to the vehicle I noticed a puddle of water under the E....

Anyway for those who knew how to dissable it...great.........I'm so happy it works NOW 2000 miles after we bougth the it.... :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 1999 Toyota Corolla used the air conditioner on defrost also. Defrosts much better with it than without it in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I want to try this, but if I don't like it can it be undone? If so, what would be the magic sequence to reverse the process?

·
Registered
106 Posts
HEK, that is really cool. Just this weekend I was grousing about the AC being on when defrost is on. As soon as I get out of work, I'm going to do that.
Are there other codes for the car? That amazes me that they built "cheat codes" into a car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote:4056be7611="hunterbase"]HEK, that is really cool. Just this weekend I was grousing about the AC being on when defrost is on. As soon as I get out of work, I'm going to do that.
Are there other codes for the car? That amazes me that they built "cheat codes" into a car.[/quote:4056be7611]

I know they have to have other "codes" to disable other electrical equipment...or for that matter for installing let's say your keyless entry....I don't remember that one of the top of my head but it had to do with the ignition being turned on as you pressed the remote...or something like that....if you go out and buy the keyless entry, it comes with 2 remotes and a relay....is a 5 minute install.... :D ..........and glad I could help........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you know if this particular code will change other settings that are used for the air unit? In particular, the MAX AC setting. When that is selected it automatically turns on the AC and the Recirculate Air option when the fan is turned on.

Will that feature still work the same?

As always, thanks for the info.
Homer

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
Canyonero,

The Max AC function is unchanged after changing the settings to let you disable AC on defrost. It still automatically engages the recirculated air.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote:dcc9bab2e6="canyonero"]Do you know if this particular code will change other settings that are used for the air unit? In particular, the MAX AC setting. When that is selected it automatically turns on the AC and the Recirculate Air option when the fan is turned on.

Will that feature still work the same?

As always, thanks for the info.
Homer[/quote:dcc9bab2e6]

The code will allow you to recirculate when you want it to, if you chose to turn on the AC with the defrost on do it...and when it gets too cold for you, just press the AC button and back to cool air.....not COLD....

If you're a person who owned pre 1996 vehicle ...well is just like that....AC on when you want it....AC off when you want it.... :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
this sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I get the point. what is the advantage? :?: - can some on break it down for me?

ty
Symco

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well My friends CRV had that problem, we did as the instructions said, and it worked great. Went to the element, and ran the defrost and the button already allowed us to turn the AC off.
Guess either the dealer programed it for me already, or the factory set it that way

GG Element, built 06/03

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[quote:b6b51ce8c1="karlz28"]Well My friends CRV had that problem, we did as the instructions said, and it worked great. Went to the element, and ran the defrost and the button already allowed us to turn the AC off.
Guess either the dealer programed it for me already, or the factory set it that way

GG Element, built 06/03[/quote:b6b51ce8c1]

Don't be fooled...even if the AC light is not ON ...the AC still runs.....try it by leeaving the defrost on and see if after a while the vehicle gets cooler than normal...and beeds of condensation build up on the windshield...it happen to me....i thought it was off until I did the code....now I feel cool air and not cold air.... :roll:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote:4f7df1fde4="Symco"]this sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I get the point. what is the advantage? :?: - can some on break it down for me?

ty
Symco[/quote:4f7df1fde4]

uhmm for starters better gas milage......and better performance....especially with the winter around the corner.....why run the AC??....when not needed???.....if you have central air in your house??....do you turn the heater ON when it gets cold??....( not a trick question.... :wink: )...than why would you be expected to do so in your car??... I don't get it Honda??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts