Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Element with approx 96000. The AC stop cooling but everything else seemed to work. Tried to put freon in it and found the compressor was not kicking in. Being in South Georgia In July/August this year the temp have been over 100 for the last 2 weeks so you can imagine the trouble I had getting it in to see the doc.

I was told it was the coil? apparently it is attached to the compressor. He also told me he had a 2003 Element in the shop with the same problem then two weeks later the compressor went out Major $$$.

The part needed is on back order. RED Flag - does other have this problem? I googled the issue and found horror stories for the CVR but nothing on the Element.

Right now I am looking at $400 to $500 bill if he can find the part.

Any one else having the same issue? Do I need to save up for the $3000.00 compressor?

Cherie

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Check around and the clutch itself is not that expensive but the compressor might be failing causing the clutch to burn up. The engines turn a high RPM and every time the in gauges its spinning up to the RPM the engine is doing. Others have found compressors for around the 800 range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too!

Hey there,

I was just visiting my brother in Valdosta, GA and at the beginning of the trip back, my AC just stopped cooling. When I turned it off and back on, it made an awful noise until I pulled over and turned the car off. It would not work again! Thus my trip back to Atlanta was terribly uncomfortable and in the sun the whole way. So I feel your pain!

I'm going to bring it to the dealer. When I had my 84 Civic, it did the same thing and since I was poor back then, I didn't have the money to get a new AC compressor, clutch, etc. to fix it. I lived in Tallahassee then and needless to say I melted every day driving that thing.

I'm going to bring it to the Honda dealer in tomorrow morning and will keep in touch on the results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to pay another $600 because the compressor went bad. At least, the dealer covered the other parts that went bad again and the labor...

·
Registered
60 Posts
It seems like I'm in the same boat as you guys.
My AC stopped blowing cold also, and I went to the dealer for diagnostic and after $100 later they said that the compressor stator clutch needs to be replaced. Estimated at $1600. NICE. I just got my E used last month. I'm looking into independent shops now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts