Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it today, and all works just fine, all is as should be, nothing was maimed or modded, all is wonderful and the installation of my new Hidden Hitch and harness took about an hour. A large chunk of that was unloading the crap outta the back of the E.

look here: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...&Product_Code=60985&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

The photo showing the rear panel "peeled" back is exactly what we did. We used a combo of profjoels very detailed instructions, and Hidden Hitches. We took out the seat and seat carrier, then took out the hardware for the rear two panels only, but did not remove the panels fully, (Just loosened them) Also took out the treshold for the tailgate, but not the trim around the doors or behind the front seat. With the panel hardware out, both the rear panels swing outwards with plenty of room to get to the harness, and get your HANDS in the area, plus a drill to widen the hole profjoel used to run the harness up into the E from underneath.

I stared at Hidden Hitches picture for a long time wondering how THEY could do this and no one else has figured it out. I took their instructions literally, and ONLY removed the "threshold and other fasteners". (OK, I am a girl and I feel no shame reading the instructions :lol:

The bumper stayed in place, as well as most of the interior.. go out and have a stare at that side of the E..you'll slap your forehead and go "I could have had a V-8!"

I find it hard to believe that Honda isn't hip to this trick, and why they charge 4 hours labor to install a hitch and wiring. Ridiculous.

I towed my new little trailer home with a big smile on my face..the E is a great tow vehicle. I didn't even know the thing was there!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:df5b97bc84="spldr"]I towed my new little trailer home with a big smile on my face..the E is a great tow vehicle. I didn't even know the thing was there![/quote:df5b97bc84]

Sounds like you're happy with it! By any chance, can you tell if the distance between the hitch and the bottom of the lower door would allow for one of these to be mounted (empty) w/o interfering with operation of the lower door?

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=E&Product_Code=6500&Category_Code=CC114

It can be seen on another vehicle (with the optional bike mount which *would* interfere) on this product page connected to a draw-tite hitch:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=6505

-brendan

·
Registered
25 Posts
brendan -
I know a member posted a picture of one of those on their E, but now I can't find it to save my life. Maybe someone else will have more luck. From what I remember, I do not think it would interfere with the lower hatch while empty. But I would ask someone who has one... Search away!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, Brendan. I can't answer that.

My trialer is small, and the reciever is upsidedown, it leveled better that way, so my tailgate does open fully. I don't think that is the norm tho.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Spldr, can you post a picture of your E with trailer! I'm sure many of us would love to see the combination for inspiration!

Pat in Tucson

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nag me! ;-) I never bring the camera home from work when I should..and yes, i am too cheap to buy one!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
> Nice use of the hanging shoe organizer!

Men hate it ;-) Big Lots! My home away from home for finding wierd but useful things!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Outstanding!
I bought the hidden hitch and installed it in about ten minutes, but I hadn't done the harness because it looked like a lot of work based on previous posts, and I am by nature somewhat of a procrastinator. Thanks so much for the link, this is going to be easy now.
I replaced my 99 F250 Super duty with the Element, and while I can fit 8' lumber in it, I have been going through plywood withdrawl. Now I can get my little trailer and be back in the sawdust business.
Thanks again,
dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where do you get the Honda instructions for installing the wiring for a trailer hitch? I was also thinking of adding a remote entry to my '03 EX Element, I understand you need to reprogram the radio and enter some codes for the security system...where do you find the codes you need to enter. I installed the hidden hitch with no trouble, about 30 minutes, now need to install the wiring pig tail. Thanks for any help.

Whamo

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:fb832faefd="don frisby"]Where do you get the Honda instructions for installing the wiring for a trailer hitch? I was also thinking of adding a remote entry to my '03 EX Element, I understand you need to reprogram the radio and enter some codes for the security system...where do you find the codes you need to enter. I installed the hidden hitch with no trouble, about 30 minutes, now need to install the wiring pig tail. Thanks for any help.
Whamo[/quote:fb832faefd]

I'm pretty sure the major honda accessories discount sites linked from this site's front page include links to the PDFs showing the standard honda instructions. Just shop for the item and you should find the install instructions on the item page.

Regarding the radio, in your pile of booklets from the dealership, you should have gotten a small credit-card sized plastic card with the button sequence required for enabling your radio after it loses power.

-brendan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't speak for everybody, but I never even bothered disconnecting my battery when I installed my remote entry unit. And when I hooked it up, it worked right out of the box, so I didn't have to program the remotes, either. Took a whole 5 minutes to do.

Oz

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the info spldr, looks good! 8)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The E and the trailer and I will be headed up to Portland Oregon tonite..from LA..it's first big road trip! I am used to doing that haul in a Civic. I guess I will have to trade speed for power and comfort, eh? (Like I am going to cry over that one!)

Well, I don't think I will make it to Portland tonite..but you get the idea 8)

I will post milage and stuff later.

·
Registered
245 Posts
so after reading both posts I decided to order my trailer hitch from Hidden Hitch...and I made a copie of both threads and hope to come back here after the weekend and do a report.....spldr great topic..thumbs up..!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
As promised I decided to install the hitch using Spldr's shortcut and it Worked!!....even my wife was shocked to see me back in the house less than an hour after I started the installation.... :shock: ...well I can trully say there were no problems at all....THANKS Spldr :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now you have to buy a trailer!

Good luck. I have now towed about 3000 miles with mine..no problems!

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:5b8bc520ad=" "]now you have to buy a trailer!

Good luck. I have now towed about 3000 miles with mine..no problems![/quote:5b8bc520ad]

It is so true...( would happen to know a place where I can buy an utility trailer??..not too heavy just a flatbed with rails??..)...Thanks :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
eBay! Lots of little trailers on there. Covered ones, flat beds all kinds. They come in a box!

Even camping trailers like mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts