Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some have gotten accessories, some not, some aftermarket, some from the dealer.

I would like to hear about the accessories you did get with/for your vehicle and what do you think of them. (as well dealer, or aftermarket).

I am still waiting on my accessories, 2 weeks tomorrow 2-8-03.. but I am getting the following:

Following will be dealer installed:
Drivers Side Armrest/storage.
Cargo Cover
Skylight Shade
Security System
Fog Lights
Remote Entry System
Rear Bumper Trim
Roof Rack
Side Steps

Following will also be Dealer, and are FREE!:
Leather steering wheel cover
Seat Back Bungees

From H-and-A accessories (should be in Monday):
Door Switch Trim.
Leather Remote Holder (I always hate how messed up they get when they just hang from a keychain! and this neat item is really cool!)
Magnetic Cell Phone Holder (which I might just use for our Garage door opener instead).
Some touch up paint (just in case)
and a couple other toys, which are just neat.. hope they come out with a remote control version of the Element.. I will get!

I purchased from another dealer:
Cargo Net
Cargo Organizer

I have both, very easy to pop in and are a Must Have.. they really are great, and since they are collasible they are never a nuisance!

I am no very tempted and likely will hafta get the floor mats, RML has gotten me soo interested in them.. grin!

I also will get the cabana and curtain later.. and that nearly completes everything available, for now!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I mentioned it somewhere else but here's the quick list:

From the Dealer:
Side steps
Tinting
Storage armrest
Seatback bungee (man I should have shopped around on this one)
Carpets
Keyless
Alarm

I would have put on some extras, but cash was quickly becoming an issue - glad I'm going to wait, H & A, and hondacuraworld are gonna save me a bundle.

I will probably get a few other accessories:

roof rack, ski attachment (I know - what do I need ski attachments for in Texas)
Cargo cover, Steering wheel cover, cargo net.

I'm sure I will add more in the future, but for now, I will be patient (and happy with what I've got).:wink:

·
Registered
608 Posts
From the dealer

Switch panel trim
Center panel trim
Meter panel trim
Seat back bungees
fog lights
air deflector
cargo cover
arm rest with storage
cabana
privacy panels
skylight sun screen
8 disk cd changer
alarm
VIN Etching
all season floor mats
cargo tray
Front bumper trim
Rear bumper trim

Ordered but returned (just did not like the look of them with the Element)
Rear air deflector
rocker panel trim

From H and A
Cargo net
All weather seat covers
leather wheel cover

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RML: what are the "privacy panels"? they are not the curtains are they?

Seems there might be some different accessories available here and there, so this is cool also seeing the different items that are out there!

RML & I had talked before, and he mentioned the "VIN Etching" which i had not heard of, this is done to the glass, and gives a discount on auto insurance.. I am kinda curious if any other states also do this? I know I never heard of it in Maryland nor Delaware, and don't think I have seen it for PA nor NJ.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gypsytda,

The privacy panels are like a curtin that goes on the inside for when you want to sleep in the Element, or change, or what have you. They attach easy to the inside, and fold up nice and neat.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RML I thought you were talking about the curtain.. i had not heard them called privacy panels.. cool now i know their dual personality! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the security curtain. Currently there is a non-OEM curtain(s) on ebay for a lot less money and states that the OEM ones are too long and hard to install - does anyone have any information/experience with these after market curtains?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Here are my thoughts on what had been listed. (I had just noticed that the original posts were quite old and this has been revitalized Hope this applies to newer requests and is helpful to future readers. I would have deleted but maybe it can be helpful)

Drivers Side Armrest/storage. - I got packaged as part of my deal for the car. Had it installed by the dealer. One of the best accessories to get and good installed as part of your purchase. I found, at least from my dealer, that the installation time to install some accessories are really short when done by an experienced installer and by having several things installed at the same time, you can get better bang for your buck as someone who does these things all day can probably do them in his sleep. Also, there are some things that might require some cutting of the fabric or other modifications to your car. I felt better left to someone who knew what they were doing. I would have hated to make a mistake and ruin by new seats.

Cargo Cover - I would actually buy this online by Cheaphondaparts.com or HandA... You would get it cheaper there and it just snaps in a couple points in the back of the car. Sort of like those window shades that go over your windows, it is spring loaded and pulls out and retracts. Compress it inward and place it in place and it will snap right in. No brainer to install yourself.

Skylight Shade - I guess if you want it get it from the dealer as, my understanding is, you have to cut the headliner to install snaps. I personally didn't choose this because I didn't like the idea of the snaps in the ceiling. Didn't seem worth while to me.

Security System - I never did get a security system but would rather spend the money for a good aftermarket one. Living in Chicago, where winters can be harsh, I would opt for one that also includes remote start.

Fog Lights - I got this installed with the set of accessories I ordered with the car. By inquiring about some accessories at the time of purchase, you can get a good deal on some over priced goodies. The dealer has that added incentive to sweeten the deal to get you to drive off the lot in a new car. My understanding is that HONDA pays the dealer a certain amount to prep your car based on a certain amount of prep time. Some accessories can be installed within that set of time giving the dealer some room to bargain with the overpriced cost of the accessory and the installation. Further, I didn't want to be messing with splicing wires and all. I am pretty competant at it but felt with a new car, something better left to someone else who can be held responsible if something goes wrong.

Remote Entry System - Depending on the trim level should come with the car. If not, it is a quick install that most people I have read here installed themselves.

Rear Bumper Trim - I got that from Cheaphondaparts.com and installed it myself. Very easy and cheaper than buying from your dealer. Unless he is throwing in for free. Just a plastic piece that glues to your bumper. Clean well and apply the primer and peal and stick. Follow the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Roof Rack - I wasn't impressed with the HONDA rack. I would go Thule or Yakima and get that aftermarket. Should be very easy to install yourself. Read once about a woman who went to REI or somewhere, bought all the parts and installed it herself in the parking lot.

Side Steps - I got these with my deal on my car. Part of the properly equipped and experienced arguement. The dealer has all the tools and a lift to get under the car where it would seem to be easier to bolt them on. Much easier than crawling under on my back to put them on. In the package with my car, I think I got a better deal in the end.

Leather steering wheel cover - I got this online and installed myself. Wasn't that hard but was time consuming. Cheaper buying online than from your dealer. However, if the dealer is throwing it in for FREE than you can't argue with that.

Seat Back Bungees - They come with the car anyway. However, my dealer didn't install them. They should just be in the seat pocket or glove compartment. Didn't take much for me to install them myself. Some people do them themselves and get creative with the pattern that they install them. I got some from my brother for Christmas that were orange to match my SOP. The ones that come with the car are black. I just put those away anyway.

Door Switch Trim. - ???

Leather Remote Holder (I always hate how messed up they get when they just hang from a keychain! and this neat item is really cool!) ??? Never heard of it.

Magnetic Cell Phone Holder (which I might just use for our Garage door opener instead). - Haven't gotten one myself.

Some touch up paint (just in case) - Definately get some touch up paint to match your car. Whenever you are washing or waxing keep a close eye out for tiny chips from rocks and pebbles.... door dings. Keep on top of them and especially look at the doors , behind the wheel wells and the hood. You might think about a bug shield if you haven't already listed it here and splash guards for behind your wheels. If not for bugs, a bug shield, (I recommend LUND Interceptor) will help for protecting your hood and maybe windshield from rock damage. Easy to install and not expensive if you shop around. I feel it is better and better looking than the HONDA shield. Also, about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. As for splash guards. Something that the dealer can slap on for you while they have your car on the lift. They can be installed with the wheels installed but, especially with the rear, where I had some difficulty getting a screwdriver back there. Might be easier with the wheels removed. Another thing where the efficiency of an experienced and equipped mechanic can make them negligable. Especially while installing other things. Zap Zap done.

Do you have good Alloy wheels? Order some wheel locks. They are just lug nuts that require a special socket to remove. Get them yourself and put them on. Or, if your dealer will throw them in or install them for you for nothing, especially at a time when the wheels need to be removed anyway, another Zap Zap done kind of thing.

Cargo Net - I got this but found that it was more hassle than it was worth. Mine is just rolled up and stuffed in the rear bin. If you are getting the organizer, I don't know that you would really need the net.

Do get a set of good bungees at the hardware store or home center. Good idea to anchor things like propane tanks, tool boxes etc from sliding around.

Cargo Organizer - Don't have one but definately seems to be a good idea. There are a couple of threads currently here that discuss ways to organize cargo and keep things from sliding around the car. I would also consider floor mats. I have the carpeted ones. Also, go to Home Depot or Lowes or wherever and get a good utility mat with rubber back and carpeted top. That will help protect your floor and provide grip to keep things from sliding around. In addition to a runner that I picked up at the Depot, I got some "Anti-Fatigue" tiles at Sears. Thin foam tiles that interlock together. One set will cover from the back of the front seats to the tailgate. I think they cost $19. Definately worthwhile to deaden some sound and noise and to keep things from sliding.

Other good things to keep things organized are boxes with lids, storage bins... Find a couple things that can be put in the back. With lids on you can still put groceries or other cargo on top. Using bungees with a couple good bins would be better, I believe, than the cargo net.

Good Luck, Enjoy your Element.

·
Registered
926 Posts
drkosmos said:
I'm thinking of getting the security curtain. Currently there is a non-OEM curtain(s) on ebay for a lot less money and states that the OEM ones are too long and hard to install - does anyone have any information/experience with these after market curtains?
This seems to be the new post. I don't know what you mean by "security curtain". Are you talking about something to keep prying eyes from seeing what you have in the car or are you referring to the issue of privacy while you might be in the car sleeping etc.

I don't have experience with the Privacy Curtain, which, I believe is a curtan that hooks and straps to the grab bars and anchors around the car. There are many points above the windows, in the corners by the tailgate and so on. From my understanding it shouldn't be too hard to install as it may utilize hooks or velcro to go over the handles and such. I seem to recall that it is a thick canvas curtain that covers the insides of the windows. It might be useful if you are going to be camping in the car and want to cover the windows in back. I think it covers everything but the windshield. I don't know that you would want to be using it routinely for any security reasons. As for the eBay versions, I don't know what they are but cost might be an issue for you. A lot of the accessories that HONDA has for the Element are kind of pricey, especially if you get them through your dealer. Try Honda Acura World, H and A or Cheaphondaparts.com etc. You will probably find better prices. One of the things that did turn me off to the privacy curtains was the issue of the appearance of them. They didn't seem to be that attractive. I had thought of making some of my own that might have more of a personal feel to them. I never did follow through with it though.

As for security etc., I find that the windows are quite dark. I would also suggest the cargo cover for the back. It covers everything that you would have stashed back there. Also, keep in the habit of parking in well lit areas near traffic and activity. Do not leave valuable items sitting in plain site. Stash things in the various bins or the armrest, overhead or glove compartment. Tuck things under the seats etc. I carry a couple blankets around in the car for cold night drives... they can also be handy to put something on the seats and throw the blanket, casually over. Make it look like it is just an unfolded blanket. If you have a cargo cover, put things in the back with it pulled closed so people can't see what is in there. Might not stop a thief but if someone is casing a parking lot, they will be looking for quick hits. If it is too busy around them, there is too much activity or they don't see anything to grab, they will usually just go to the next car. Leave a lap top on the passenger seat and you will have a good chance of finding the passenger window smashed and the computer gone. They won't be smashing windows to get in and search your car unless you are parked away from everything where they might have dark shadows to work in or time to look around.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Michelin Floor Mats/Pep Boys, $40. I didn't want to totally cover the floor. They're thick, sturdy, and I like them. The rears slide though.

Lund Bug Deflector. Super easy install, no problems. Don't know if it will really kill bugs but it looks cool.

Weatherflector in-channel visors: Look great, super ez install. Rears are just stick on, don't really do anything, wouldn't buy them again. Sticky is coming loose on one.

Custom Console...ebay, $140. Love it. Bigger than XL Honda armrest. Has cupholders, too.

EOC sticker...gotta have it!

Xantrex power pack; Paid like $60 shipped, new. Already jump started a car with it. Also has flashlight, powers AC cords, recharges off 12V or AC. Should be great for camping.

Hoppy Cargo Organizer. For like $15 at Wally, good solution.

Light in Sight traffic "periscope." Don't need it that often but when the traffic lights are right above you, it works. Could probably do it cheaper than their price, though

Panoramic rearview mirror. I tried the stick on convex mirrors but I thought they were too small. So I clipped this 300mm panoramic rearview over the stock. I like it...I thought I'd hate that the traffic behind me was closer than it appeared, but I am getting used to it.

Future:

Trying to decide if I need sportwings or whether I should go with cheaper Pep Boys alternative, etc.

Ordered and have plans from cubej.com for PVC frame for bed in back. May modify them, but I also see you can get folding cots. Might be easier to go that route.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
rhythm_ace said:
Custom Console...ebay, $140. Love it. Bigger than XL Honda armrest. Has cupholders, too. ...
Light in Sight traffic "periscope." Don't need it that often but when the traffic lights are right above you, it works. Could probably do it cheaper than their price, though. ...
Panoramic rearview mirror. I tried the stick on convex mirrors but I thought they were too small. So I clipped this 300mm panoramic rearview over the stock. I like it...I thought I'd hate that the traffic behind me was closer than it appeared, but I am getting used to it.
Which console?

The LightInSight is a blessing. Lifeizgood had the bright idea of cutting a larger fresnel and splitting it between front and rear. Cheaper than a LightInSight, if you count front and rear; I'd like to see it in action.

Pictures!

Wmas, lots of good perspective and advice there. I'd go a step further on securing a propane canister or heavy toolbox, and recommend solid rubber bungees at the very least. I lean toward nylon straps with camlock buckles.

Funny how threads come back to life. This one has got to be a record.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This seems to be the new post. I don't know what you mean by "security curtain". Are you talking about something to keep prying eyes from seeing what you have in the car or are you referring to the issue of privacy while you might be in the car sleeping etc.
sorry, I meant the "privacy curtain" (though I think Honda calls 'em 'security curtains'), not really wanting it for security, just for camping and privacy. I was hoping someone with actual experience with the curtains could give some insight.
thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had tried the front bumper trim from HandA? 150.00

I'd just like to know if anyone has it, if they like it..

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts