Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the Element fills a void too. I just don't think it's the void they intended to fill (the low-cost roller for generation Y). At 30, I'm a little older than their target and have to admit, more power, leather and a power back sunroof would only be improvements and ones that I, and a many other gen Xers and babyboomers, would welcome (not all, but many).

If Honda keeps trying to tap the Y gen, then yeah, luxury improvements probably won't come any time soon. If they decide to play to the proven audience so far, they'd be doing themselves a disservice to not explore the possiblitly of offering additional bells and whistles. This older demo has more disposable income for those things.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am of the older demograhic and did not buy the Element because it was basic, because it was cheap or because of utility. I bought it because I liked how it looked. So to say "The reason the Element is attracting an older-than-expected demographic is the same as the reason why an Acura-ized Element is ludicrous. The reason is _utility_, plain and simple." may be a little on the ludicrous side itself. The old saying in marketing is if there is one there are more. So I cannot be the only one to feel this way.

You can't look at this from an individual level. You have to look at it from a demographic level. One 50 year-old may be in the market for a cheap ride but others are buying 'vettes and Cadillac Escalades. The Element in its current state is already capturing the older demo with its fexiblitly and funky looks. It's not unreasonable to think that market share could expand to include some of the entry-level luxury SUV buyers as well. And, if you think Honda isn't thinking about that with it's success in the over 30 demo, you're kidding yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts