Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I'm considering these wheels {Unknown Acura} 245/50R17 with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Anyone have these tires? Any input as to improving handling and/or gas mileage-RPM etc by changing wheel and profile sizesis Greatly appreciated! I'd love if it cornered a little better, and less tire noise. Current wheels are stock with 4 Blizzaks.
Thank You!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hi! I'm considering these wheels {Unknown Acura} 245/50R17 with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Anyone have these tires? Any input as to improving handling and/or gas mileage-RPM etc by changing wheel and profile sizesis Greatly appreciated! I'd love if it cornered a little better, and less tire noise. Current wheels are stock with 4 Blizzaks.
Thank You!
View attachment 212144
Those might be Acura RL wheels, confirm the bolt pattern before purchasing, I think the RL wheels might be 5x120 instead of 5x114.3

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Also as far as choosing tires to improve gas mileage, you can look for tires that are designed to help fuel economy that are low rolling resistance. From what I have glanced at those types of tires usually have a narrower tread width vs the section width and a more rounded shape vs a more square shape, this however will likely give you less cornering/handling.

Its really a matter of finding something that gives a good compromise for your needs. Tires are generally a matter of compromise, giving up in one area to gain in another. I usually find Michelins perform well, are quiet, handle and ride nicely but are very expensive and for some reason they easily pick up punctures and dryrot more than other tire brands.

Choosing a taller tire diameter will lower your rpm and improve your fuel economy on the highway if you can maintain a constant speed but will hurt fuel economy in stop and go city traffic as it takes more energy to turn a bigger, taller and heavier tire. There is a maximum tire diameter that will fit without rubbing I think it is around 29.5"? Do a search on this forum, there is a lot of info on different tire size options, and keep in mind it will throw off the speedometer reading slightly.

One thing I am using that helps handling and cornerning stability without making a tire compromise is using H and R wheel spacers with built in wheel studs. It widens the vehicles track an extra inch on each tire. However people have told me that this is harder on the wheel bearings so there may be a compromise in wheel bearing life. I would only use the H and R brand because of the quality and strength and make sure they are properly torqued with a torque wrench and periodically re-torque them.

Tire rack tests some of the tires they sell and you can get dry and wet grip numbers, dry and wet braking numbers to compare different tires.

Going to a taller rim/wheel a 17 or 18 inch will open up tire options for both taller diameter and that are more performance oriented and handle better but lower profile sidewall tires will be a bit more bumpy in their ride, again a compromise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts