Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This weekend I was working on adding a new 12v outlet to the back of the shelf between the steering column and the center stack for power for my Garmin. I have a question about adding the power. I used an Add-a-Circuit and plugged it into the #2 fuse spot which is the fuse for the rear power outlet. I ran a ground from the new power outlet to a bolt near the sub-woofer.

I want the new outlet to turn off with the ignition. After putting it all together and following the testing instructions on the Add-a-circuit, the rear outlet works correctly but the new outlet is hot all the time. If I reverse the Add-a-Circuit, neither outlet works. The guy at Autozone said he thought the ground would have to run to a ground on the ignition switch.

Is this correct? If so, can anyone recommend a place to run my ground?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just grounded mine to a bolt on the firewall and it works fine. I plugged it into the #18 (front accessory power socket) For a switched outlet but later moved it so it would have power when the key was turned off. I think I moved it to #16 (Ignition relay)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hello all,

This weekend I was working on adding a new 12v outlet to the back of the shelf between the steering column and the center stack for power for my Garmin. I have a question about adding the power. I used an Add-a-Circuit and plugged it into the #2 fuse spot which is the fuse for the rear power outlet. I ran a ground from the new power outlet to a bolt near the sub-woofer.

I want the new outlet to turn off with the ignition. After putting it all together and following the testing instructions on the Add-a-circuit, the rear outlet works correctly but the new outlet is hot all the time. If I reverse the Add-a-Circuit, neither outlet works. The guy at Autozone said he thought the ground would have to run to a ground on the ignition switch.

Is this correct? If so, can anyone recommend a place to run my ground?

Thanks, Bill
Check out this page from Ramblerdan's website. It shows the layout of the under-dash fuse box.

Fuse #2 feeds power to the rear acc outlet and I believe it is always hot. The rear acc outlet itself is switched on or off using a relay powered by fuse #18. Fuse #18 only powers with ignition and also provides power to the front acc outlet. So if you want the outlet to power up only when you have the key in and turned, use fuse #18. Ground it to any metal like you originally did.

I have a similar setup in my E using fuse #18 for my Garmin Nuvi 1690 (was 760) except mine is a "hidden" install. The outlet is installed out of sight under the dash. The Nuvi power cord is plugged in and routed from under the dash and comes out of a small hole in the center trim just to the left of the stereo. Here's my write up on it.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53169

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

I'll try moving it to #18 this afternoon after work.

Snuffleupagus, I had read your article this when I was searching for the info but didn't understand the difference between using #2 and #18. I have a fan plugged into the rear outlet for my dogs and it went off when I turned the ignition off. I didn't realize there was a relay in the mix. I know just enough to be dangerous! :| :)

Bill

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks, guys.

I'll try moving it to #18 this afternoon after work.

Snuffleupagus, I had read your article this when I was searching for the info but didn't understand the difference between using #2 and #18. I have a fan plugged into the rear outlet for my dogs and it went off when I turned the ignition off. I didn't realize there was a relay in the mix. I know just enough to be dangerous! :| :)

Bill
You're welcome. :)

I just realized I was referencing Ramblerdan's page but neglected to actually add the link. Here it is.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/udfrb.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts