Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 E has a major blind spot on the drivers side and a not so major blind spot on the passengers side. So I added small round stick on Convex mirrors to both side mirrors but with the heat in Florida they both fell off. Then one day I saw this van go by with these add on mirrors that looked like they would work. I did find them at http://www.autobarn.net/auxwidmir.html

They work great. I wouldn't drive without them.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1886_395949

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Add on mirrows

Yeah I think a couple other owners here have used that same design and said they worked really well. I noticed them on one or two Elements at the national meet at the Honda plant last summer.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

Indeed. MsGail turned me onto them, and they're great. One complaint, though: After less than a year, one of my Hercules mirrors is starting to erode around the edges, the way century-old mirrors do. I'm going to try to see if I can get a warranty replacement; if not, well another $13 bucks won't kill me.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Yes, mirrors. I originally had some small convex mirrors, but they were just too small to be much use. I saw these too but I thought they were a bit too funky. I know they make some for certain pickups that fit under the mirror and look better.

I ended up with a 12 inch panoramic for inside the car. I can see all the way to the rear passenger's window. I bias the mirror a bit in that direction because if I turn it my way, I see...me.

BTW I know many in here have cited the Bob & Ray thing about proper mirror positioning. Still, when you drive in city traffic, you can't keep track of the numerous cars milling around on both flanks. I'll take all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: Add on mirrors

Been using these mirrors for years. For me there the best & most people don't even notice them.

Ramblerdan - had the same problem with my first set but the erosion never went any further than the edges. My current set came with edging around the mirror which gives them a more finished look.

·
Registered
505 Posts

msgail said:
Been using these mirrors for years. For me there the best & most people don't even notice them.
Can you post a photo of them on? I like the idea of them.

Ken

·
Registered
505 Posts

ramblerdan said:

Don't know how different the new ones look. I got mine from Camping World for about the same price as Kerry's.
Thanks for posting the pics! Don't look bad at all and it sounds like you really like them. Ok, going to have to order a set.

Ken

·
Registered
362 Posts

Couple of questions for you who have the mirrors. Are they adjustable, and since it appears they clip on, could they securely clip on below the existing mirror rather than on top?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

BC246T said:
Couple of questions for you who have the mirrors. Are they adjustable, and since it appears they clip on, could they securely clip on below the existing mirror rather than on top?
Good question, I'd like to know also.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

BC246T said:
Are they adjustable, and since it appears they clip on, could they securely clip on below the existing mirror rather than on top?
Yes, the Hercules mirror is adjustable. Because I sit so far back, the mirror at the limit of its travel wouldn't quite cover the blind spot, so I mounted mine at a slight angle.

The mirror is light and the mounting bracket pretty secure, so you should be able to attach it underneath. On the passenger's side, though, it might be partially obscured by the top of the door.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Pics as requested

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Paul - mine are set up basically the same as yours. Add-ons are tilted as far out as possible.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Thank you again for the pics! Looks good.

Ken

·
Registered
362 Posts

ramblerdan said:
Yes, the Hercules mirror is adjustable. Because I sit so far back, the mirror at the limit of its travel wouldn't quite cover the blind spot, so I mounted mine at a slight angle.

The mirror is light and the mounting bracket pretty secure, so you should be able to attach it underneath. On the passenger's side, though, it might be partially obscured by the top of the door.
Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have the ones from Camping World and they're just starting to rust a little along the edges. I've had them for about 5 months.

It's probably no big deal as long as it doesn't spread too much. For the price, I'll happily replace them every spring if I need to. I can't imagine driving an Element without them.

·
Registered
773 Posts

How exactly do they attach to the mirror?

Tape, Velcro, Straps, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts

ramblerdan said:

Okay, RamblerDan, next obvious question from me. Is there too much curve on the outboard vertical sides of the stock mirrors to attach the Hercules mirror there? I envision having the driver's side attached to the bottom and the passenger's side attached to the outboard edge.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts