Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When making plans to add 6th gear are there other parts to consider during this upgrade? Should clutch, throw out bearing, lsd, or other components be considered?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
There are threads on the LSD, may not be something you want to upgrade, read through those who have done it. :)
As for the clutch pack - ABSOLUTELY!! Since you have the tranny out, it only makes sense to get that replaced as well. That way, you KNOW when it was done, have YOUR choice of clutches (economy, daily driver, or high performance), and you also know how many miles are on it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
The Toaster is correct. Clutch, disk, and throw out bearing are a must. Check the trans mounts also. You will love the 6th gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I love the 6th gear I need to finalize the purchase :p

I just wanted to be sure I had the proper scope of the project. So it looks like 6th gear, all the goodies in that package, and a clutch pack is what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What in the world would you want to do that for? With the very slight differences in 5th and 6th......I mean, really! You must have a lot of free time on your hands with that car if you came up with something like that! Let it be!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
What in the world would you want to do that for? With the very slight differences in 5th and 6th......I mean, really! You must have a lot of free time on your hands with that car if you came up with something like that! Let it be!!
If you drove 5 speed M/T Element, you'd understand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm assuming this is sarcasm because anyone who has driven a MT E at 3700 RPM @ 70 mph knows the E needs a 6th gear.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
When making plans to add 6th gear are there other parts to consider during this upgrade? Should clutch, throw out bearing, lsd, or other components be considered?

Would like to hear your thoughts.
YES!

what others have said. you'll have the case open, and have the full R&R labor for the transmission, so why not take care of everything? in my case, an LSD was also added, which is easier for my FWD vehicle than it would be for a 4WD vehicle. I definitely recommend getting new 5/6 synchros, rather than trying to "get away" with what's in there now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like sourcing parts for the 6th gear is a bit tougher and more expensive these days :(

Any tips or tricks on sourcing 6th gear parts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It seems like sourcing parts for the 6th gear is a bit tougher and more expensive these days :(

Any tips or tricks on sourcing 6th gear parts?
Funny you ask. I literally have an excel spreadsheet built for this very mod. I'm pretty close to triggering on it too.

The two sites I'm sourcing from is:
1) Genuine Acura Parts For Less | OEM Acura Parts
2) OEM Honda Parts at Majestic Honda | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts

Instead of the 6th gear from the TSX though, I'm opting for the 6th gear out of the 2006-2012 Civic SI (SI is longer).
TSX - 0.659
C.SI - 0.647

With all that priced out, I'm at $261.04 (without shipping). The only thing stopping me is when I get the parts, I want to proactively block out time to actually do the work (which includes the clutch and flywheel). This Wavetrac LSD is supppppper tempting too. One thing at a time though. The responsible me is kicking in asking do I really want to spend all the money on the Element right now? I figure when I'm ready to do some serious powermods, I'll revisit with the LSD another time.

In a nutshell though - yes, you are not the only one looking at this mod. Every time I'm going 70+ mph on the highway, I look at the tach and my gear shift lever and think - if only I could shift into 6th!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$261? That seems so much cheaper than the list I had been attempting to build! That is super reasonable.

I guess it's time to start making a spreadsheet of my own with those links.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only thing I'd add is maybe $30-$60 bucks in other miscellaneous stuff you'll need. Some examples are Hondabond or some other RTV equivalent, and MT-90 or another tranny oil of choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm. A quick pass through the list of parts and the Honda link and I get to the $650 mark pretty quickly. What is your secret to the low low price?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which parts are you ordering?

These are the parts I have planned:

Reverse shift piece24240-PNS-000$ 48.68
Shift arm interlock24430-PNS-000$ 30.90

Gear, Main-Shaft Sixth [2012]23590-RY1-000$ 87.97
Bearing, Needle (35X41X24)91103-RAS-003$ 13.03
Collar, Distance (28X35X24)23916-PNS-000$ 8.01
Bolt, Special (20X25) [2006-2012]90011-PPP-000$ 7.80
Gear, Counter-Shaft Sixth [2012 SI]23491-RY1-000$ 64.65

Technically, you could save yourself the ~$50 bucks (the reverse shift piece) if you wanted to by modding the current one. For me (though I could), I'd rather buy the right part and save myself the effort and risk of screwing up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
23916-PNS-000 COLLAR, DISTANCE (28X35X24)
24240-PNS-000 PIECE, REVERSE SHIFT
24430-PNS-000 INTERLOCK
90011-PPP-000 BOLT, SPECIAL (20X25)
23491-RAS-000 GEAR, COUNTERSHAFT SIXTH
23592-RPN-305 GEAR SET, MAINSHAFT SIXTH
24412-PNS-000 ARM, MAINSHAFT BRAKE SYSTEM
24413-PNS-000 SPRING, MAINSHAFT BRAKE SYSTEM RETURN
23626-PNS-315 SLEEVE SET, SYNCHRONIZER (5-6)
24201-PNS-010 FORK, GEARSHIFT (5-6)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I could see these two (and will definitely look into those more - so thank you):
23626-PNS-315 SLEEVE SET, SYNCHRONIZER (5-6)
24201-PNS-010 FORK, GEARSHIFT (5-6)

What are these two for though?
24412-PNS-000 ARM, MAINSHAFT BRAKE SYSTEM
24413-PNS-000 SPRING, MAINSHAFT BRAKE SYSTEM RETURN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts