Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I currently have two Add a Circuits connected to each other on one fuse (backup camera display and lighter outlet strip). Is there one of the blank (unused) fuse slots that is not always hot and is only hot when the motor is on that I could tap into?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the great diagram!

So, this diagram shows blank fuse slots for the under-dash fuse box in slot numbers 5,16,21,24,25.

So, I guess if my Test light illuminates with the key on and shows these as switched fuses, I guess that means I could just plug the add-a-circut into one of those fuse blocks with a 15A fuse, right?

I will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks for the diagram!

Does anyone have a diagram of how to wire the compass mirror? My backup camera is currently wired to a monitor, but i ordered the mirror kit so it will display inside the mirror, and if there is already a wire for the compass mirror, maybe I can use that one rather than fishing a new wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, if I want one behind the dash out of site "permantly" pluged into my car cell phone charger, can I splice this?

attach add a circuit to red and black to ground? done?

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
has anybody thought of putting an actual 12v 2 prong plug in the front of their E? i am wondering how it would even work?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
do you mean like a camping hook up?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Or a typo and he meant 120V 2 prong.
I'm actually thinking about hard wiring in a power inverter for the front. Maybe like an 800W one or something.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Added an outlet for my new Sirius radio

Long story short, my old 12V Sirius radio died a couple weeks ago. I had it hard wired to the fuse panel. You can't do that the regular way since 12V will fry the newer 5V radios. I temporarily put a power outlet near the hood release but that was in the way and I didn't like the fragile wire snaked under and around the seat.
I put an outlet in the console which was no big deal. I didn't like the look of the flimsy cover that came with it so I ordered a Honda OEM cover. The threaded sleeve was too long with the Honda cover so I used a small hose clamp to prevent the socket from pulling out with the plug. This way I can keep the radio low and hidden like it was before and I don't have a lot of exposed wires cluttering everything up. I also get to keep the top power outlet free. With this Honda cover it looks like a stock outlet that matches the rear one. When I got the E I also hid the Sirius antenna under the plastic roof panel like some have done before. I like the stealth look and unless you look for it you'd never know it's in there. As long as there's no issues with the 12 gauge wire under the flooring I'm good with it.

Thanks to all for their tips and experience.

since the threaded sleeve was now too long I just used a hose clamp to secure the socket behind the cover/cap:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice install, Pedals.

What's the Honda part number for that cover, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few extra tips:
I used the Blue Sea 1011 12v DC Socket purchased on Amazon. A 1.125 hole is good for it. You do not need to use the included rectangular front piece if you do not want to. The barrel is threaded and there is a ring to secure the socket.
There is no light element on this socket.
The Bussman ATM add-a-fuse should be inserted with the wire facing upwards. (I used fuse #3, which is always on and 10 amps.)
To remove the subwoofer enclosure, press the middle of the plastic plug with a small poking object.
To replace the plastic plug, push the prongs back the opposite way until the middle part of the plug (the part you pressed in to remove it) sticks out.
For snaking wires under the floor mat, remove the subwoofer (4 10mm bolts, bottom and mid-way up on each side). Also, if you have factory carpet, remove the middle carpet retainer stud. Once these two items are removed, it is very easy to snake a wire to the middle (I actually pushed the coat hanger from the middle towards the subwoofer location).
The inexpensive stepped 'cone' drill bit I got from Harbor Freight did as much plastic melting as cutting. I had to do a lot of trimming with a sharp knife. But I must say the stepped cone drill was accurate and easy to use.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Long story short, my old 12V Sirius radio died a couple weeks ago. I had it hard wired to the fuse panel. You can't do that the regular way since 12V will fry the newer 5V radios. I temporarily put a power outlet near the hood release but that was in the way and I didn't like the fragile wire snaked under and around the seat.
Not trying to rag on your install, but if you wanted to really clean up that look, I'd recommend unplugging the unit from that socket you just installed and installing a hidden 12volt adapter socket underneath the console, or somewhere else to power the satellite radio.

One like this.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889591

Powering your the satellite radio with a hidden 12volt socket and drilling the required holes to route the plugs through the console would hide pretty much all of that exposed wiring and look really good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not trying to rag on your install, but if you wanted to really clean up that look, I'd recommend unplugging the unit from that socket you just installed and installing a hidden 12volt adapter socket underneath the console, or somewhere else to power the satellite radio.

One like this.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889591

Powering your the satellite radio with a hidden 12volt socket and drilling the required holes to route the plugs through the console would hide pretty much all of that exposed wiring and look really good.

You know, I originally considered leaving the 12V socket under the console and running the wire out like the antenna wire etc. The fragility of the thin wire and the appeal of the outlet in the front of the console took me back to that route. I did clean it up a bit after that pic by temporarily using a twin socket adapter which is much more flexible. I tucked the unused outlet in with the wires under the radio and for now routed the outlet I used to the side along the seat. I'll see if they make a single outlet short extension and see if I can do what I have with only one outlet on the cord. it's a work in progress so I may still look at the hidden wires route.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You know, I originally considered leaving the 12V socket under the console and running the wire out like the antenna wire etc. The fragility of the thin wire and the appeal of the outlet in the front of the console took me back to that route. I did clean it up a bit after that pic by temporarily using a twin socket adapter which is much more flexible. I tucked the unused outlet in with the wires under the radio and for now routed the outlet I used to the side along the seat. I'll see if they make a single outlet short extension and see if I can do what I have with only one outlet on the cord. it's a work in progress so I may still look at the hidden wires route.
Gotcha.

Just thought I'd offer a few suggestions because a few years back I installed my Delphi SkyFi 3 satellite radio in pretty much the same location as yours and those were some of the things I did to give my install a clean appearance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, I'm getting ready to do this mod and I have some questions.

I have purchased my two additional outlets (inline fuse ones from radio shack) and an add a fuse. (made sure to get the right part #). I don't want my connection to be always on so I will be using slot 18 in the fuse box under the steering wheel. I plan on putting both outlets in my center console. My first question is can I split the hot wire to go to the two outlets or do I need to run two wires, one to each outlet? I plan on grounding the neg wires to a screw under the console. My other question is wire size. The wire coming off the add a fuse is 16g. The wire on the outlet is 18g. I read on here about people using 10 or 12g. I have some 14g laying around, and I'd love to use that since I wouldn't have to go buy more wire. But I'm hesitant to use a bigger wire in the middle like that. So what size wire should I be using to do this the proper way?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
can I split the hot wire to go to the two outlets or do I need to run two wires, one to each outlet?
You can run one wire as far as you need to, before splitting it.

The wire coming off the add a fuse is 16g. The wire on the outlet is 18g. ... I have some 14g
14 gauge will be fine. The only penalties for using thicker (lower number) wire are pliability and cost, and neither applies in this case.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts