Honda Element Owners Club banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can run one wire as far as you need to, before splitting it.

14 gauge will be fine. The only penalties for using thicker (lower number) wire are pliability and cost, and neither applies in this case.

Thanks. I was thinking the pliability of a thicker wire would be in my favor when trying to snake the wire under the flooring. But a coat hanger I'm sure works best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Done!

Only made one mistake. Plugged the add a fuse in before connecting wires to outlet and blew a fuse. No biggy.

I opted to put both outlets in the rear part of the console to keep from having cable clutter in the front.

Also, fishing the wire underneath the flooring is a LOT easier if you remove the sub housing. It was just two screws on each side. That way you can lift the mat up a bit more. I also used a pry bar from the console side to raise the flooring up more, giving me more room to work. It was super easy to feed the coat hanger through once I did that.

Also, to drill the holes in the console I used a 1" spade bit/wood bit like this...

Then I used a dremel to to bore the hole out just a little more. I also used a hack saw blade to cut a little notch for the rib piece on the socket. (at least my socket had a ribbed piece on there that was keeping me from getting the socket in there).

·
Registered
155 Posts
i used the a-a-c to fuse #2 i wanted it to always be hot..i used the ground screw to the right of the steering wheel..
Can you show a picture of where this ground screw under the steering wheel is located? Right now I am currently using a binder clip plus electrical tape to the metal frame to hold ground for both this outlet strip and my backup camera, which I want to fix.

My next task is to figure out how to permantely spice the wires instead of using the Add a Circut for this and my backup camera. I think I am gonna hire the audio place, because I also want to mount my new CB radio under the dash.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ff

Can you show a picture of where this ground screw under the steering wheel is located?
Nevermind. I had the audio place hardwire my backup camera, my 4 outlet 12v lighter plug strip, my cb radio, and my electronic deer whistle. Now all I have to do is wire my $29 Harborfreight PIAA knockoff lights once I figure out how to mount them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you decide you want to go this way, the rear outlet is a snap in piece, it goes for about $12. It includes a nice cover, it might look really nice opposite the flashers button.
I never thought about relocating the one from the rear. Great idea seeing as I NEVER use that thing.

Also, if anyone knows the answer to this question: Why can't you use the 12V outlets when the car is off. I know some cars have this capability. Is there any way to modify the E to make it so that the outlets are usable with the car turned off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello friends, I haven't taken the time to read every post and I am in a last unite need for a rear outlet.

My question is, is there wiring already for the passenger side rear socket even thought the outlet isn't there?

I have the basic model with only one outlet above the glove compartment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never thought about relocating the one from the rear. Great idea seeing as I NEVER use that thing.

Also, if anyone knows the answer to this question: Why can't you use the 12V outlets when the car is off. I know some cars have this capability. Is there any way to modify the E to make it so that the outlets are usable with the car turned off?
The answer is simple, some outlets are wire hot, which means they are wired to stay on constant(straight to battery).

Others are wired to be on while the car's ignition is on.

If you've ever installed an aftermarket radio you know that both ways are hooked up simultaneously, one to run the radio and one to save clock and other presets.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's not really super diyish, but if you dont have the time like me, I just picked up one of those cigarette adapters with two female sockets and a male socket from walmart

·
Registered
89 Posts
another 12volt front outlet

Drilled a large hole in the shift-console panel opposite the emergency 4-way flasher, and installed a standard cigarette lighter. It is a second front 12v outlet for charging up phones or other hand-helds. Used the popular Add-A-Circuit fuse adapter in position 18 in the under-dash fuse box. This outlet is live only when the ignition is on.

W. Li

·
Registered
362 Posts
Has anyone considered putting in extra 12-volt outlets? I would like to add some to my E but would rather go with a cleaner stock look rather than those you can buy at Wal-Mart. I haven't gotten into the dash but it seems maybe there would be enough space on the driver's side, opposite the hazard blinker or maybe in the floor console? Any ideas would be welcomed.
Easy. Pop off the trim around the shifter (the part that has the emergency flasher button), drill a hole to fit the outlet (1 inch diameter as I recall) in the right side of the trim, centered the same relative distance from the top and side of the trim as the emergency flasher. Fish around for a hot wire and a ground to hook it up, preferably only on when the ignition is on. There is plenty of space to work behind the trim. Easy job to attach the outlet. I mounted a working cigar lighter in that place on my E. :-D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I added a cigarette lighter with an add-a-fuse to slot 18 using 2, 15 amp fuses, because I only want power when the key is turned in the on position.

Now I want to install a dual usb, using another slot that is only on when the key is in the on position. Does anybody know which slot to use? I've searched the forums and found plenty of posts about "always on" slots, but I don't want it to always be on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I added a cigarette lighter with an add-a-fuse to slot 18 using 2, 15 amp fuses, because I only want power when the key is turned in the on position.

Now I want to install a dual usb, using another slot that is only on when the key is in the on position. Does anybody know which slot to use? I've searched the forums and found plenty of posts about "always on" slots, but I don't want it to always be on.

Fuse 18 Front power socket,y, you should be able to put the usb also on 18. I have a 6 outlet strip on slot 18 with no issues.

Schematic here: http://www.ramblerdan.com/e/udfrb.htm

·
Registered
53 Posts
How would that work? The way it's installed now is that the add-a-fuse is in slot 18, with 2, 15A inserted into it, and the wire is connected to the positive of the cigarette lighter. How would the dual usb socket be installed into the same slot? Do both positive wires go into the add-a-fuse?

I've seen that schematic before and used it while installing the extra power outlet.

Thanks.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts