Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Did That

I did this back in '03 when mine was new. Toughest challenge is to settle on a suitable mounting point. It was too difficult for me to mount them on the top of the bumper cover because of the layout of the support structure underneath.

I had the set shown below on a garage shelf for years, so my solution was essentially "free", though the bulb filaments were brittle from age, and burned out in only a year or two. Mine (and the set I've replaced them with when one of the original's lenses cracked) are mounted to the vertical fins in the grill.

The primary disadvantage of my arrangement is that it requires "dropping" the entire grill front to change a burned out bulb, though I can do that in less than 15 minutes now. I've had some years of practice. :rolleyes:

Wiring, fusing and switchwork were no problems, since I have experience from adding auxiliary lights to my vehicles for 35+ years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Whats going on with the round holes in the fog light hole cover? Did you drill those? Airflow?

I did this back in '03 when mine was new. Toughest challenge is to settle on a suitable mounting point. It was too difficult for me to mount them on the top of the bumper cover because of the layout of the support structure underneath.

I had the set shown below on a garage shelf for years, so my solution was essentially "free", though the bulb filaments were brittle from age, and burned out in only a year or two. Mine (and the set I've replaced them with when one of the original's lenses cracked) are mounted to the vertical fins in the grill.

The primary disadvantage of my arrangement is that it requires "dropping" the entire grill front to change a burned out bulb, though I can do that in less than 15 minutes now. I've had some years of practice. :rolleyes:

Wiring, fusing and switchwork were no problems, since I have experience from adding auxiliary lights to my vehicles for 35+ years.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I did mine like this for simple DRL's and like them so far. They are LED, so not bright enough to light up the road like halogens, but do what I wanted them to, get people's attention here in the land of "pull-out-in-front-of you"! I intend to add a normal closed relay to this LED bar to turn them off when the headlights come on when the weather warms up and I feel like laying on the garage floor again.

Hope this and other options make your decision easier!
Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Whats going on with the round holes in the fog light hole cover? Did you drill those?
Way too lazy to do that much work! Originally, I intended to mount my air horns to the backs of those grills, but discovered too late that there's only about an inch of clearance behind the passenger side opening -- the windshield washer fluid tank is immediately behind that spot. So, no deal.

But I kinda liked the look. Nobody else had it, and it looked better to me than either nothing, or the fake fog light option (which makes zero sense to me at all!). The whole concept honestly sprung from being too frugal to spring for Honda's overpriced foglights, considering I already had the "free pair" on my shelf.

The parts were merely pieces of 3" diameter perforated PVC from the plumbing department of any discount home improvement strore. I rough cut the openings with a carpet knife, and the parts simply "press-fit" in place. The Walter Mitty in me continues to hope the uninformed assume they're obviously cooling duct intakes for the front brake discs! ;-)

I'm currently using this stainless steel (shower drain cover) version, which generally matches the diamond pattern in the upper grill. And yeah, I know it's filthy -- but remember, it's still winter here in Minnesota. :-(

So here's a "cleaner", out-of-season version from last year's National Combo Meet in Columbus.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Those look great on your E. Goes Great with the olor of your E to.

-garrett

I did mine like this for simple DRL's and like them so far. They are LED, so not bright enough to light up the road like halogens, but do what I wanted them to, get people's attention here in the land of "pull-out-in-front-of you"! I intend to add a normal closed relay to this LED bar to turn them off when the headlights come on when the weather warms up and I feel like laying on the garage floor again.

Hope this and other options make your decision easier!
Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Has anyone added lights like these, directly on their bumper?

here's a rough photoshop of what i mean.

I'm thinking of doing it. any cons 2 this idea?

-e-
The only con that I could think of would be that if you chose that location for driving lights,they would work/perform fairly decent.Now if you were going to install fog lights,I'd think they wouldn't work to their full potential,as for best results,fog lights are usually mounted lower and out to the corners on a vehicle.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gotta copy that!

I did mine like this for simple DRL's and like them so far. They are LED, so not bright enough to light up the road like halogens, but do what I wanted them to, get people's attention here in the land of "pull-out-in-front-of you"! I intend to add a normal closed relay to this LED bar to turn them off when the headlights come on when the weather warms up and I feel like laying on the garage floor again. ~E_BikeR

E_BikeR,

I'm really digging the look of your light bar. Would it be possible for you to post some close-up photos of the lights and the mounting? Also, where did you purchase the lights?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Look on this older thread for the info about which product I used. I have added 2 more lights since the original post, and they work alright, but really are chinese junk as far as the product quality. I took the mounting bracket off completely, and used clear silicone to glue them directly to a piece of lightweight angle aluminum. After a complete dry time of 3 days, I simply mounted the bar to the underside of the E with 3 stainless flathead screws. The use of the "V" connector in the above thread makes the connection to the parking lights easy to do. Again, I intend to set this up in the spring to take the DRL's off the circuit with a relay when the headlights are turned on.

Also, if you are looking for better quality lights and are willing to spend twice as much for them, these Hellas are very nice and designed MUCH better than what I used. I was looking for cheap plastic lightweight housings that I won't cry about if they get taken out by a rock. I have already had rocks crack the lenses on two of the 4 housings:rolleyes: but I don't care.... they keep the knuckleheads here from pulling out in front of me when there is not enough room, maybe they are just mesmerized by the lights for just enough time that I can get past the intersection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts