Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the element's transmission temp sensor is inside the shift solenoid cover..

does anyone know of a "test port" or some other type of valve/sensor that i might be able to adapt my 1/8" NTP sensor to? a pressure switch or something?

i do some extreme towing in the summer, and would like to keep an eye on the trans temp..

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
On the race cars we use this one! But that's on an MT. I would think that there are more options on an AT do to the cooling lines. Just a bit of plumbing work, and your golden.

Several kits have emerged over the past few years. This is just one of them. Fits Honda Prelude 1992 - 2001. It's the last one on the list.

Dom

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i have the gauge i want picked out already, i just don't have a clue where to start with my sender location.

i have installed a water temp gauge already, and i opted to have it installed on the upper radiator hose.. their fore, its the HOTTEST temp the system see's before going through the radiator, and fans.. its working fine... but im currious about trans temp...

so.. i theoretically could splice into the trans cooler lines, say where it connects to the radiator, but i figured for this one, i could get actual trans case temp.. (sender on the case).

hell, i even thought about buying a different case drain plug (external hex), drilling and tapping the head, for my oil sender.

ide rather not cut that hose in half.. years from now.. just more chances of another leak.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wonder what the thread pitch of that drain plug is? 18X1.5mm? i would buy another from honda, but its going to come with the 3/8" square drive head, where as i want a hex, 6 sided bolt.. going to have to be aftermarket..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats just it..

the factory drain bolt is a recessed square drive.. 3/8".. so i'll have to find a BOLT.. hex head, the same thread pitch, and start drillin!

if.. i.. only.. knew.. the.. size..... hrmm... lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
please if you can.. do you have a thread pitch gauge?

im sure they're the same.. but just for fun, lemme check a parts microfish for at and mt applications..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, nope..

A/T is 18MM..
M/T is 14MM..

which BOTH have magnets.. so im not sure how im going to drill through that..

might have to find another way to get oil...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm not sure of the thread pitch....but I'll be changing ATF soon. I'll have a look at it and let you know, but it'll be about a month.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, im not sure if im going to go through with it now... i might have to do that back up plan, trans cooler line splice..

long story short, when i had my car its first few months.. 3 times the instrument panel indicated over heating.. the E didn't sputter, didn't appear to have poor performance, just got really really hot, on the gauge, after a decent climb. coming down hill without a load.. didn't react as fast as i would hoped for.. (actually overheated after a good hill, and the decent down).

i took it to the dealer, of course no problem found.

i installed a mechanical water temp in the upper radiator hose.. took pics of it breaking 212-215ish.. and the factory gauge climbing 3/4. honda told me that this was NORMAL for the gauge to fluctuate. (i couldn't believe it right..) i left it with them again.. they let it sit in a bay running for 30 mins, and said.. "NO PROBLEM FOUND".. but the 07's had a recall on the clusters, so they changed it.. with that being the fix.

so now im 2nd guessing the factory gauges. i mean, speedo, tack, gas gauge, how accurate do those have to be? but water temp.. thats a touchy subject to me, when im towing a jetski, or loaded up with camping gear with the family.

so.. i now have the peace of mind water temp gauge.. now im interested in trans temp, so im not instantly burning up my high dollar trans fluid. the trans cooler is inside the radiator, so its prolly pretty close to engine temp, but i would assume loaded down, the trans could make more heat than the engine water.. so i would like to know. also, im contemplating getting a uhaul oil cooler, and mount it up somewhere else.. i might have to wait, and do the temp sender at that time.

i really don't want to drill through the bolt, and loose my magnet now... i kinda forgot about it..

i'll have to look under the E.. and look for some other odd ball bolt that might be large enough to hold my temp sender, and not effect anything inside the case.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yup...I could always tell when the trans was getting hot in our '02 Dodge Cumsapart Dodge....the water temp would start climbing. :wink:

The was a light for Trans Temp, but no gauge.:-(

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so in your case.. the trans temp got so hot, it was starting to make the engine water temp warm up.. thats not good.. lol

either way.. i can't plan a 300 mile trip, and have the element break down, because i don't know what the car is doing.

atleast if i knew the car was going 220+ i could pull over.. or if i knew the trans temp was hotter than the water temp, i could consider adding a external trans cooler.

i realize i might be asking too much of the 2.4L... but if i can help it anyway i can, im going to try. i really didn't want to buy a huge American V8 SUV when i only make desert trips a handful of times a year.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Have you considered using a ScanGauge and extracting the information via OBDII port?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've got a scanguage and haven't run across the trans temp as an option (no data posting on that selection). I'll verify and copy all the options it gives and post on it tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

Edit: On the web site they talk about the X-Gauge expansion gauges for the scanguage and what they cover, nothing for the Element is listed. I'd say the OBD2 port only has basic functionality.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i know with my high dollar genisis scan tool.. which reads any global OBD2.. will read basic info like water temp, trans temp, brake light switch.. alot of useful information.. but its like 2 grand.. and its a huge scan tool...

i would really be interested in the scangauge.. but before that, i would like to know if trans temp could be displayed.

i have a feeling its limited to water temp, engine RPM, voltmeter, and a few other semi useful read outs..

can someone post some scangauge info? thanks

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
For s---s and grins, take a look at this thread. It's a little study I did a gazillion years back about actual coolant temp versus gauge reading. As far as the consumer is concerned, Honda regards 170-220° as "normal". :shock:

Unlikely that transmission temp is available through the OBD-II port. Honda publishes that only the "standard" EPA-mandated parameters are available. Somebody with secret-decoder-ring access to the factory parameters (or factory supplied reader setup) might be in a better position to confirm/deny its existence.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts