Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Element EX with 27K miles that just went out of warranty in August. The steering column lever that holds the steering wheel in a particular position will not stay tight. I hate to pay Honda $100+ to fix it. I've taken the three screws off the cover under the steering column but still can't figure out how to remove the cover. Honda service told me the lever can be tightened. Even if I get the cover off, I'm not sure if that will be enough to be able to tighten the lever without removing the left side of the dash. Can anyone help me solve this problem????

Thank you,
Dave:confused:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a 05 Element EX with 27K miles that just went out of warranty in August. The steering column lever that holds the steering wheel in a particular position will not stay tight. I hate to pay Honda $100+ to fix it. I've taken the three screws off the cover under the steering column but still can't figure out how to remove the cover. Honda service told me the lever can be tightened. Even if I get the cover off, I'm not sure if that will be enough to be able to tighten the lever without removing the left side of the dash. Can anyone help me solve this problem????

Thank you,
Dave:confused:
I haven't had my cover off the steering column yet but there might be a few smaller screws which hold the covers together (some Honda models use them, some don't). Look at the lower cover and see if there are a 3 or 4 small passages with small screws in them. These will basically screw into the upper cover through the lower one and hold the two halves together. If yours does have these, cracking the two halves will be alot easier than if they are only held together by tabs. Basically once you have all the screws out you want to try and crack the two halves apart my pressing with your thumbs where the halves meet together.

NOTE...do not attempt this with a cold interior or cold plastic parts because Honda's tabs are very brittle when cold break MUCH easier. Meh, who am I kidding, Honda's tabs break when it's 90-degrees outside :rolleyes:.

All kidding aside though, the tilt lever can be re-tightened. There is a nut and washer on the arm for a pinch bolt assembly that once you have accessed the lever by removing the covers, you will be able to see where it pivots and where the bolt pinches it tight to hold the tilt position. I had a CRV with the same issue and I simply tightened the nut to give the lever tension again.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't have pics or a link (I looked quick on Google for a couple mins for one but no luck)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I just had this exact same problem on my E' two days ago and it's such a simple fix.

Here are some pictures from a mod that member (Boy Wonder) had posted.By looking at his pics (the ones below),I was able to easily figure out how to fix my tilt lever.Thanks to Boy Wonder for his great pics.:)

Here's what your working with.

You will need to remove that 10mm bolt on the right and slide off that toothed spacer/slide washer which goes over that 12mm bolt.(this is the piece located on the right side on that first picture posted.)After doing so,lift the tilt lever up and simply tighten the 12mm bolt enough to hold the tilt lever firmly in place.Once finished doing so,reinstall the toothed spacer/slide washer and reinstall/tighten the 10mm bolt.That's it and that's all.:cool:

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Before you remove the short lock bolt and adjustment lever, try just loosening the bolt, moving the lever, and retightening. IIRC the long through-bolt is a left-hand thread, so move the adjustment lever up (turns the bolt head left) to its stop. Sometimes that's all the adjustment you need. If that's not enough, then remove the bolt and lever as Eww-an E instructed.

As for the plastic cover, remove the top half first by pressing on the bottom half at the seam to release the clips behind it. Then remove the bottom screws, and the the bottom half will just fall off.

Those clips are easy to break, especially if the plastic is cold, but knowing where to push is half the battle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Help!!!

Thanks to all of you guys for the help. I will try this tomorrow. I think I will warm the car up and leave the heat on inside before I try and remove the cover over the steering column.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys for the help. I will try this tomorrow. I think I will warm the car up and leave the heat on inside before I try and remove the cover over the steering column.
Yes, DEFINITELY warm the plastic up as much as you can before trying to separate the two halves. I think Honda uses rice paper in the manufacturing process for a lot of their plastic components :rolleyes: :lol:.

I've had to work on several vehicles at the shop during the winter that need interior panels removed. And of course it's always the ones that the customers drop off the night before or really early before we open so it has a chance to chill right off :razz:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It Worked

I finally got the cover off with much thanks to Dan. Was able to tighten the lever without completely removing it. I did not tighten the screw as much as I could have because I was afraid of stripping it. Was that a possibility or should I have just tightened it until it was as tight as I could make it?

Thanks to all of you, again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Problems w/ Tilt Steering

Anyone here have problems with their tilt steering lever going bad? Mine won't stay locked and I keep having to push it in place before it will sort of stay locked. The big problem with this is that you can be driving, go to turn and the steering wheel will move!!:-x Not good for safety reasons. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Lizz for the reply and for the help!!!! I will try the fix in the next day or two when I get a few minutes. I'll let you guys know how it goes. This seems to be a common problem with the E......

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
This seems to be a common problem with the E......
Nah, not so common. 93,000 miles and no problemo.:smile:

EDIT: But thanks for the info on the fix if it ever comes up.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tilt Steering Problem

Yup, I had a problem with mine at around 50K. The factory manual gives nice step by step instructions on how to get it back in spec and it is easy to do. i am at 79K now and it has not returned to the "no lock" condition. Good luck:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished doing this

Thanks Eww-an E and ramblerdan,
Just finished doing this repair.
Steering column cover came off very easily thanks to the good description and diagram.
Once you get the cover off, there is a spring that is not shown on the photo that is easily removed which allows much easier access to the heads of the bolts. I just loosened the 10mm bolt enough to slip the locking piece off of the 12mm bolt, then adjusted the tension(remember the 12mm bolt is reverse threaded), slipped the locking piece back over the head of the 12mm bolt and tightened the 10mm bolt. Relatively quick & easy repair.
One word of caution: when tightening the 10mm bolt, don't over do it. As I was tightening it, I was a little to enthusiastic--felt like it was starting to strip. Hope it holds OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More on the "Adjustable Steering Column Lever" - HELP

just did mine; it was easy although the first time you do anything, it can seem hard.
Step by Step:
tools: #3 phillips drive screw driver w/fat handle or screw gun
#10 box wrench and #12 box wrench
mini-locking pliers/ vise grip
a shop light (portable work light) flash lights are too cumbersome.

1)unscrew the three screws on the underside of the steering column. There are three wells, one for each screw. There are two types of screws; the screw nearest the dashboard is a machine screw; the other two are self-tapping metal screws for plastic. The machine screw takes adjusting when replacing; the plastic housing will need to be centered.

2) the bottom shroud comes off with pressure applied to each of the tabs shown in the image placed by a previous post. steady even pressure on the bottom shroud at the tab will release them all.

3) remove the bottom shroud. there is a loose steel tray inside. note the orientation.
(it only really fits one way)

4) moving around to the ignition switch position, you will find the picture from previous post is excellent. Only thing is that there is a tension spring that is sort of in the way. The spring is about 2.5 to 3 inches long. it seemed logical to remove it for access to the
two bolts that need to be adjusted. a small vise grips (mine is about 4 inches long) is suitable for releasing (and replacing) the spring. once the spring is loose, remove it from
the top side by sliding the top hook end out the retaining hole.

5) Now there is clear access to the 10mm bolt and the 12mm bolt. Using the box wrench, remove the 10mm bolt and that will allow you to also remove the small locking bracket that holds the 12mm bolt in place. conventional rotation.

6) THe 12mm requires counter-clockwise rotation. Use your 12mm box wrench to turn the bolt at least one full rotation. As you tighten this bolt, keep testing the locking handle on the tilt mechanism. The handle should end up with a comfortable 'tight' grip on the tilt mechanism. When done, reverse the disassembly procedure. One note; clamp the spring in your vise-grips, then slide the top end into the hole from which it came; then pull down and secure the other end on the steel groove. The spring replacement shouldn't take 30 seconds.

the whole job took an hour at dusk, including fiddling and a phone call. a second attempt would be less than 1/2 hour.

My gratitude to the pictures and diagram posted by the other gentlemen. They are most helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bumping an old thread, hope it is still being read.

Last week I heard a strange snap when I went to lock the tilt lever in place, and it lost all tension. It didn't take long to find this extremely helpful thread in the EOC. Unfortunately, it's not just a simple matter of tightening the long bolt for me. Instead, the ear on the lock washer that goes under the 10mm hold-down bolt has snapped off,** allowing the long bolt to spin freely. Off I went to my dealership, expecting to pay $10 for a ten cent washer, but it's worse than that. The parts guy showed me the diagram of the steering column innards, and the washer doesn't even show. He told me that means it is not an available part, I have to buy the whole internal column assembly, at a cost of over $300 for my 2007 E! I'm hoping this must be a joke, and one of you can give me a part number. But I suspect I'm off to the pick & pull junkyard on Tuesday. Does anyone know if other Honda models share the same lever mechanism? Might make it easier to find one in the yard. Thanks!

**If anybody is wondering why the ear snapped off, I am sorry to say my E has been rear-ended twice. Who knows what unusual stresses that put on components. Maybe that is it, but maybe just normal metal fatigue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts