Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Has anyone quantified how much cooler your E is when leaving the hatch open in the summertime?

Like comparing 2 E's side-by-side (with identical window tinting) with all windows closed but 1 with the roof hatch open.

I wonder how much of a difference it makes (in Fahrenheit) if anyone knows
"all (else) things being equal"

Thanks
Love this board/great help

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I doubt anyone on here has,or ever would bother testing this,as there would be so many variables that would come into play,that the results would not be very accurate.:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For ****s & giggles, list the variables

2 E's parked next to each other (dashboard position both facing sun)
Identical window tinting
Exterior colors wont sway much unless it's a complete dichotomy of White & complete black E (so let's say not)
Interior colors wont sway much if heavy tinting is used ie: 5% all around
And again there is not much of a sway of contrast between interior colors.

What's so hard to figure out?
I don't know anyone with another E to give it a test.

PLUS: If you live in a hot climate, should the results be impressive,
would this not add to making your E more pleasurable
(which is what most people on this board are trying to do anyway) ???

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Too bad the '09 doesn't have the sunroof. We could get a dealer to try it on the lot some day.

It is hard to say for certain but with my E it seems to stay a little cooler but there are way to many variable to say it does for sure.

I also tend to leave my side pop-outs open if I have the sunroof popped to keep it even cooler. I only close the sides if it looks like rain might be coming.

I don't have tinted windows besides the factory tint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it makes a difference, I've got an 03 and leave it open all summer, (even in the rain), my wife has an 09. Seems to me the 03 is somewhat cooler after a few hours in the sun. But, again this is very subjective and I've never actually measured it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could do this over the weekend if the rain holds off for a day. A pair of thermometers in a wind facing away from the sun would do the trick. Both of our E's are parked right next to each other.

I'll report back if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd like to test this.

Its been 100 degrees every day - very few clouds, very little wind. it will be the same all week.

I could test mine on two consecutive days this week, parked in the same spot, with the thermometer in the same location in the E.

Stay tuned later this week for the results.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It was only a matter of time before a member here would step up and perform the test for us.

Thanks and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those solar powered fans that you roll up in the window? I like the idea just don't know if it'd actually work. If it does i'm buying some.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So far

So day 1 test (moon roof closed):

High: 102
Winds SSE 10mph
Mostly sunny

E parked facing nnw in spot that provides no shade until late afternoon
E parked for 9 hours - from 9am to 6pm
Thermometer was placed between front 2 seats

Outside temperature at 9am - 81 (vehicle in full sun)
Inside temperature at 9am - 77 (had ac running)

Outside temperature at 1pm - 96 (vehicle in full sun)
Inside temperature at 1pm - 104

Outside temperature at 6pm - 99 (vehicle in full shade)
Inside temperature at 6pm - 114

It will be interesting to see what day 2 (moon roof open) does for those temps! I'll post results tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Cool. Thanks Zorak. I'm kinda curious to how much of a difference there'll be. Tends to feel cooler on days when I leave it open. Course it could be the heat version of the butt dyno:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Funny, I never thought to post about it.

We had our E's parked side by side in our driveway last year. I had just picked up a new indoor out door thermometer, the day before, and was about to mount it on the house. I was heading to my E to obtain the cordless drill inside. I noticed that my sun roof was open, and Patty's was not. Our drivers windows have rain guards installed, so we each leave the drivers window down about an inch.

I had the unit in my hand so I fed the probe in through the open drivers window. It went from 85 Degrees. to 94 in my E with the sunroof open. Patty's went to 102 Degrees with the sunroof closed.

Keep in mind that she has a RR, and I have ABM.
It was early spring, The first really warm day.

Not a controlled scientific test, but it does give you a ball park Idea.
E-Tires 2.JPG

Dom

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny, I never thought to post about it.

We had our E's parked side by side in our driveway last year. I had just picked up a new indoor out door thermometer, the day before, and was about to mount it on the house. I was heading to my E to obtain the cordless drill inside. I noticed that my sun roof was open, and Patty's was not. Our drivers windows have rain guards installed, so we each leave the drivers window down about an inch.

I had the unit in my hand so I fed the probe in through the open drivers window. It went from 85 Degrees. to 94 in my E with the sunroof open. Patty's went to 102 Degrees with the sunroof closed.

Keep in mind that she has a RR, and I have ABM.
It was early spring, The first really warm day.

Not a controlled scientific test, but it does give you a ball park Idea.
View attachment 72011

Dom
I do appreciate you doing this, however the color difference in the vehicles is enough to make the test totally invalid.

Have you ever felt the metal of a light color and a dark colored car after they sit in the sun a bit? "Night and day" so to speak.

I am waiting on Day 2 results with the same vehicle in the same place, looking at delta-T's (outside to inside temps).

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Though RR is very saturated and "bright," its value isn't all that far from ABM:

And because the red hue is on the IR end of the spectrum, it's probably even closer for heat purposes than the photo indicates. Finally the fact that RR has black panels probably brings the two cars very close to parity.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Day 2

Ok, had to wait out a few days of clouds (and even rain) and a day of someone in my parking spot.

Here's day 2 (moon roof open):

High: 101
Winds SSE 7-11mph
Mostly sunny

E parked facing nnw in spot that provides no shade until late afternoon (same spot as day 1)
E parked for 9 hours - from 9am to 6pm
Thermometer was placed between front 2 seats

Outside temperature at 9am - 80 (vehicle in full sun)
Inside temperature at 9am - 76 (had ac running)

Outside temperature at 1pm - 94 (vehicle in full sun)
Inside temperature at 1pm - 102

Outside temperature at 6pm - 99 (vehicle in full shade)
Inside temperature at 6pm - 110

I was hoping for more drastic results, but oh well.
what I do notice, is that when its 100 degrees out, and i'm driving the E with the roof open, and the AC on, the AC doesn't feel as cold. but i haven't tested that.
I've seen another 07 kiwi around my work area a few times - maybe if i can figure out who they are i can do a simultaneous test. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So it probably doesn't make much difference but I leave the roof open anyway it makes me feel better:) Take that to the lab:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts