Honda Element Owners Club banner

Moral directive?

• Give it up, the world moves faster than your jumpy first gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hang onto it, if nothing makes you happier then the stress is a labor of love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drive it into a confederately flagged truck and claim insurance

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Sit in your room and cry about it for another six months

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 HONDA ELEMENT 4D 4X4 EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, this is my first post here but apparently I joined the community a long while ago. I bought a 2003 Auto4WD Element to the tune of around $7k in 2012, my first car, right after graduating high school. I’ve still got it and it’s still running (somehow), with 180k miles on it. I’ve sunk a lotttt of money into this beast because nobody ever taught me how to take care of a car, so the poor thing has really taken the brunt of my growing pains over the years. I replaced the engine at around 130k miles (cracked the block, who knew you had to fill up the antifreeze in the dead of winter?), replaced the alternator, replaced the onboard computer and wiring harness. I think I’ve already sunk just about as much into repairs as I paid for the vehicle in the first place.

Well, folks, the transmission is about to finally go, and I’m really apprehensive to sink even more money into this thing. The bottom is rusted out because I got it from some jabroni yankee that was clearly doing donuts in the snow, so things keep popping off or busting or just rotting through.

Here’s my issue. I really, really love this car. I don’t want anything else, which I’m sure you can understand being that we’re having this chat in a forum that’s essentially a fan club. It’s my first car, so i want to drive it until i can’t anymore, and it’s the first model, so i’m thinking maybe someday it’ll be worth something, especially if they’re about to bring the element back to production.

I’ve thought about trading it in for a newer model so i have less to worry about, but I’m furloughed jobless due to covid and unemployment has run out, so i’m super wary of taking on a new car payment without any income to put towards that. One redeeming factor is that I finally paid it off last year, so I’m sitting comfy with my car that i own myself, that can barely drive and costs more than it’s worth to fix.

In an ideal world, I’d really like to learn how to fix this thing myself, maybe learn how to mod it out and make it run really well so it lasts forever. I’ve got no mechanical education though, and no idea how a car even works, and no idea where to start learning all that, nor where i could go to even work on it or what tools i would need. I replaced the alternator myself after watching some youtube videos and that was a full two day process of hitting walls and wrestling rust.

So, what do you think? Should I give in and sell it for way less than what it’s worth to me? Should I take the hit and replace the transmission, and just hope it’s a long while before anything else goes wrong? I really don’t want to give it up but I feel like holding this thing i love so dearly so tightly isn’t the wisest choice for my wallet and blood pressure. Any advice y’all can give, even broad advice on owning a car, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
302 Posts
If your engine is still good, find one with a bad engine and good transmission and the underside isn't rusted to heck. Buy a factory service manual and swap your engine over. Strip the old one of all usable parts to keep or sell, then scrap the shell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts