Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been thinking about buying an Element for a while and found this interesting group of people here so I figure I should get your opinions! I currently have an '02 Mitsu Lancer that I bought new. She has 168k now and is in good shape, but things are starting to go here and there. My original plan was to buy an Element as well as another car when I replaced the Lancer, so I could keep the miles down on the E and have a sportier ride when I didn't need the utility. This plan is losing steam, however, because I see that MT Elements are no longer available after 2009, and I don't want to buy a high-mileage example when the time comes.

It also doesn't really make sense to keep the Lancer since I pay what it is worth in insurance every 2 years or so. So here is my question: Is it wise to buy one now and have as my only vehicle for a few years? I would be giving up about 7 mpg to the Lancer and if I commute in it I will put about 80 miles on it 3 times a week.

I like driving sporty cars, but 8 years with the Lancer has pretty much cured me of that with its 120 horses that are now probably more like 90. My big draws to the Element are the utility and dog friendliness combined with the respectable fuel economy.

Just looking for some input from you experienced guys and gals out there to nudge me toward one side of the fence or the other. Also, can anyone tell me how many revs a MT Element turns going 75-80 on the highway? Thanks to all of you in advance!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Hi Nasty2004, nice introduction.

You didn't mention whether you've driven an MT Element. If not, find one and do. Low-mile used MTs are may be hard to find, but they'll pop up.

From where I sit, the E works fine as an only car—use it up and enjoy. If you can afford to keep a fun car on the side, great, but need should trump want.

As for your technical question, there's an answer here someplace, I'm sure; try a search.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you don't buy one we won't be your friends.;-)

Just kidding. If you use the search function you can find just about anything you want, or don't want, to know about Elements, Element ownership and the E life style. If you cannot find an answer then ask away.
Personaly the Element has fit 95% of my needs over the last seven years. We loved mine so much we traded my wifes Fit Sport for a second E.

Good luck finding a MT and when you do pull the trigger remember to post pics right away!:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got an 06 with a MT. I love it. The dog loves it too... She can sit on the floor between the front and rear seats and not cover the upholstery in fur.

At 75 - 80 MPH, the K24 is screaming along at about 4000 RPM.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Barking up the right tree!

Asking us if you should buy an E is like asking a guy if he wants sex. Answer under most circumstances is "HEELLLLLSSS YESSSSSSS". No seriously, I have a 2008 MT and love it more than any vehicle that I have driven. Bought it with 076km on it and I have 76000km on old roxy now. I use it as my work truck and our family camping/canoeing, general giv'er vehicle. We are expecting out second child in January and have considered getting rid of the E for something bigger but for right now we are keeping it. Good luck finding a MT, I have mine and am keeping it as long as I can.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone!

I have pretty much convinced myself to get it. While it is nice to have no car payment, eight years is a pretty good run for the Lancer and I think I am ready to move on. I am gonna go call the dealer...will keep you updated!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Thanks, everyone!

I have pretty much convinced myself to get it. While it is nice to have no car payment, eight years is a pretty good run for the Lancer and I think I am ready to move on. I am gonna go call the dealer...will keep you updated!
Congrats on coming to the "correct" conclusion

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D'oh!

Called the dealer...already sold. I guess I should have expected that given that it was an '04 MT with 21K miles. Autotrader has about 75 MTs currently listed, but none are an EX AWD MT with low miles...my search is not over, however, and talking to all of you and reading about all of those mods has me more eager to buy than ever. I will keep an eye out and keep in touch. Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey Nasty,

Watch the trading post for MT's listed here on the forum and post your location so those in the area can keep a watch for you. Also, how far are you willing to travel to get one?

Best of luck in your search. I look forward to pictures with all your goodies inside, especially if there's a dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going to push you over the fence and say get an E! I commute about 40 miles round trip a day (highway) in my E, and honestly it's still costing me less in gas then my old '00 Nissan Maxima, and it's AWD. My insurance is considerably lower in my E as well, don't ask me how. I have had a whole range of cars, coupe, SUV, sedan, etc, and the Element is everything I have loved about all those wrapped in one. Plus, it's a Honda, the reliability can't be beat! Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I really enjoyed my manual trans Element for my two years of ownership. Way more fun than the 4 speed auto my wife had. Keep searching, and consider an LX AWD if the price is right. You can put in a better stereo and add most of the other stuff to get to EX level.

Our local dealer can't sell his NEW Elements, but every used one that comes in is gone within two weeks. They had on '07 M/T EX in Atomic blue a couple weeks back, but its gone now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been snooping around on the interwebs and there are still some out there. I am also talking to a fellow member about buying theirs, it is almost exactly what I am looking for. I serviced my Lancer's clutch master cylinder yesterday and it made a huge improvement, so now I might try to convince my wife to let me keep both...but let's be honest, if I get the Element I might have to quit while I am ahead! I am also definitely going to do the 6-speed mod (and by do I mean find someone who can do) ASAP after I get the E. My fingers are still crossed.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I have been snooping around on the interwebs and there are still some out there. I am also talking to a fellow member about buying theirs, it is almost exactly what I am looking for. I serviced my Lancer's clutch master cylinder yesterday and it made a huge improvement, so now I might try to convince my wife to let me keep both...but let's be honest, if I get the Element I might have to quit while I am ahead! I am also definitely going to do the 6-speed mod (and by do I mean find someone who can do) ASAP after I get the E. My fingers are still crossed.
Pull the trigger already the longer you wait the more un-happy you will continue to be

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The 'W' Factor (as in Wife)

Well, I thought all I had left to do was convince the wife that we needed an Element AND my Lancer. Turns out she said no to the whole deal...for now. She has about 8 months of grad school left and doesn't want to do anything until then. I guess I will remain a wannabe for the time being. I just hope all those MT owners keep the miles down! Thanks for all the input and advice, though. I can't wait to join the club!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well Nasty, maybe the wife has the right idea. Maybe.

Anyhow, this will give you the opportunity to wait for the right one at the right price. Could be that one comes along at a great price and she'll say to jump on it. Keep her informed so that when this does happen she'll be sure you're getting such a good deal that you can't let it pass by.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts