Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and had an after-market keyless entry installed on my day-old Element ($100 opposed to Honda's $240). They very next day my car acted up. It sounded, while I was sitting inside the car ready to pull out of a parking spot, as if my hazards or my blinker was on. My gauges did not light up and tell me that my blinker or hazards were on, but I can still the the "blinker" noise. My gauges started to blink from bright to dim in sync with the sound of the "tick-tock" of the "blinker noise". This happened spontaneoulsy and lasted for about a minute, then went back to normal. It happened later that day too. I called my dealer and he told me to bring it back in to Honda so they can test my electrical system.
I brought it in the next day. Honda would not look at the car, due to this after-market keyless entry I had installed. They told me to get the keyless entry system off car and then they'll look at it. They told me that they would charge me 3.5 hrs of labor and roughly $300 if they have to remove the device. They said the device, which is after-market, may have initiated the problem. My dealer said to just get the device unplugged and bring it back to Honda.
I had it disconnected, but the wires were not soldered back together the way they originally were (stock). Bottom line, they said drive it around for another few days and see if it happens again. If so, we know it's the keyless entry device. If the problem still persists, you'll have to get the wires re-soldered back to stock condition for Honda to look at it. If that doesn't correct the problem, then obviously Honda will have to take a look. Someone, please, offer me some advice or opinion. :(

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had a similar problem with my last remote starter. Chances are, the guy who installed it simply did not check the conections. the sound you heard was the unit trying to activate. (maybe?) Anyway, take it back to the installer and have it checked it is unlikely that there is an electrical problem in your element.

P.S.

Honda dealers will install aftermarket keyless units when they are out of honda ones. Most dealers I know will look at it. If it is a honda problem the fix it, if it is a problem with the aftermarket unit they won't I would complian about the service department it seems they handed you a line of crap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today was the first day I drove the E without the after-market keyless entry connected. My gauges worked fine. No problems today. I am thinking about just getting the shop who installed this aftermarket keyless entry for $99.95 to return and reconfigure the wiring he did back to the oiginal way it was. Does anyone agree with me, and should I just have honda intall a keyless entry for $240?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree return it and get your money back, but for goodness sakes don't pay $240 for the factory one, go to www.handaaccessories.com and buy one for ~$100 (it is OEM Hoda Genuine), you can install in 10 minutes if you are capable of plugging in a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:fe87410171="firetruck41"]I agree return it and get your money back, but for goodness sakes don't pay $240 for the factory one, go to www.handaaccessories.com and buy one for ~$100 (it is OEM Hoda Genuine), you can install in 10 minutes if you are capable of plugging in a vacuum cleaner.[/quote:fe87410171]

Here's Element-J's page for installing the Genuine Honda Keyless Remote yourself. It has pictures of every step -- you literally just plug the thing in.

http://www.ecnet.net/users/gallery/element-j/keyless.html

Buy it online -- it's cheap. Install it yourself -- it's easy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, I agree. Get it from H & A. It's a genuine Honda part and just plugs in. No soldering or rewiring. And you don't have to program it either (as the instructions lead you to believe). Just plug in and turn it on. Be sure to look for the correct fit point. It's up high and hard to see. But when you find it, it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the aftermarket keyless entry removed and ordered a factory one from H & A. I also ended up buying a rear cargo bin and bungee along with it. Their prices and customer service is great. Thanks for the tips everyone. I even installed the factory one by myself (so easy thanks to E owners' web sites).

NewEman
OM 2wd EX
keyless entry, front mats, bungee, and rear cargo bin

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:65110d3c0f="NewEman"]I had the aftermarket keyless entry removed and ordered a factory one from H & A. I also ended up buying a rear cargo bin and bungee along with it. Their prices and customer service is great. Thanks for the tips everyone. I even installed the factory one by myself (so easy thanks to E owners' web sites).

NewEman
OM 2wd EX
keyless entry, front mats, bungee, and rear cargo bin[/quote:65110d3c0f]

Good for you. Now try something really challenging-the side steps. Be sure to read posts on that before you try it, but it's doable, and they are very solid so far.

BTW H&A was selling wheels locks for only $15 if you bought, I think $200 worth of other items at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts