Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya- I just got my K&N Typhoon put on.....even though I am not much of a gearhead I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it.

So now I'm wondering what's next- I see a lot of stuff about aftermarket exhausts on this forum, which leads me to ask, what's wrong with the stock exhaust? Is it just too small in diameter to provide best performance? I'd like to do whatever I can to beef things up a bit, but these exhaust systems seem pretty expensive! The cheapest one I've seen is a Gibson for $307.30, shipped. Can't you just stick a good muffler like a Flowmaster on and call it good? I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions about how I can maximize performance while minimizing costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The exhaust piping is much smaller than the piping for your K&N. Imagine taking a deep breath in normally then trying to exhale through a coffee stirrer. Kinda the same thing. Your engine can only breath as fast as it can let air out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First take a look under your E, you might have a silencer then pipe then muffler... most guys that work on cars will tell you the less crap the air/gas has to travel through the better, increase of MPG and HP.

I would not go bolt on....even tho its simple and easy, bolt on will leak and will never be as good as welded exhaust... i would pick which performance muffler and sound you like, then have your local muffler shop weld you a 2.5 stainless pipe from the cat to the new muffler... this should be legal in most states, its where you cut the cat off and straight pipe it...you get in trouble for vehicle inspectations.

I like N1 style mufflers (best for the price "Megan Racing N1")... some guys are more U.S. with flowmaster,glasspac,magna..etc

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's like anything else in performance cars. The more you do, the more you have to do!

Bolt on parts can and will give you slight increases in horse power. You are however, commonly talking 1 to 2.5 % GAIN. THAT IS NOT USUALLY CONSIDERED ENOUGH. The fact is that to do it properly you need to also increase the potential of the fuel management system. I.E. computer fuel injectors, fuel rail, and mapping. That is usually still insufficient for the enthusiast. So the normal coarse of action then will be forced induction.

That forces a re-do Of the exhaust system, and fuel mapping.

It is really a never ending spiral. With each step up in performance, there is a corresponding step down in reliability and economy.

At some point you must ask yourself, Is it worth it for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a barn door?

Trust me, If I had just stayed away from souping up cars, and invested the money. I could have retired several years sooner!

Dom

·
Registered
873 Posts
my "suped up cars made more $$ than they had in them. but as for the E the ex pipe coming out of the cat to the res&muffler is pretty small for a 2.4 litre moter. about 1 11/16" & needs to be about 2- 2 1/8. 2 1/4 at the most. the amount of mufflers isant the problem. but it does need a biger tube muffler. just putting on a bigger tube or straight through muffler isant going to do squat but make noise. the tail pipe is much biger than the muffler&pipe/by almost 1/8". all in all the biger the exhaust the neeter it looks.not runs.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
my "suped up cars made more $$ than they had in them. but as for the E the ex pipe coming out of the cat to the res&muffler is pretty small for a 2.4 litre moter. about 1 11/16" & needs to be about 2- 2 1/8. 2 1/4 at the most. the amount of mufflers isant the problem. but it does need a biger tube muffler. just putting on a bigger tube or straight through muffler isant going to do squat but make noise. the tail pipe is much biger than the muffler&pipe/by almost 1/8". all in all the biger the exhaust the neeter it looks.not runs.
:twisted::twisted::twisted:

I think I am confused...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K.....Thanks y'all! So to sum it up- I guess from the catalytic converter on back I need a bigger pipe and better muffler, preferably not bolt-on. I'll start checking around at local shops to see who can hook me up with something decent.

I've never really been into performance cars or anything like that, and I'm not trying to turn my E into a hot rod, but I'd just like a better sound and a bit more pep. I can tell a difference already with the SRI(at least I THINK I can:)) and I think once I get some exhaust system work that'll be all my performance mods. That's my intention anyway. On the other hand, since I got my E three weeks ago I've spent about every cent I've had doing stuff to it....what the hell have I gotten myself into???!!!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The E is definately one of those cars that just begs "Mod Me, Baby!". I took my car to the dealer today to have a tech ride in it to see if he could tell where a little vibration was coming from. Most of the ride he spent looking at my custom Sub or my stereo or the iPod mount or my painted dash. He already admired my Herculined panels and paint matched SOP rims. The E already gets funny looks, Might as well turn those looks into looks of admiration.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it certainly is a really INTERESTING car, and you can make it even more interesting in so many ways. I've never really had a car I liked as much as my E, or the resources to do any mods even if I'd wanted to. At the moment I can afford a few things so what the hell, I'm gonna do it.
I can't see doing much interior-wise to mine- the minimalist effect is one of the things I like most about the E.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Forced induction will give you the biggest "bang" for your buck but it can put alot of strain on parts that weren't designed for the big "bang". You never know how much is too much until you put a rod thru the block :)
se

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, that's not for me - no nitrous systems, no JATO rockets strapped to the roof rack, either:grin::grin:

·
Registered
512 Posts
O.K.....Thanks y'all! So to sum it up- I guess from the catalytic converter on back I need a bigger pipe and better muffler, preferably not bolt-on.
That may have been the case a few years back and some companies have made some crappy bolt on parts in the past but I think today's bolt on exhaust systems are made really well. Just my opinion

·
Registered
873 Posts
just wach out for the local ex shop guy, thats wants to bend you up an exhaust.unless he has a $75000.00 mandrill bender when he bends the tubing it crushes it almost 1/2" smaller at the bend. but with that said if the guy uses mandril bends then it's probly ok if he knows what he's doing, or an alturnative is to use 1/2" biger tubing for the bends & cut & fit it that way( If they know what they are doing). I wonder if the crv cat back will fit the E . I have seen them for 1/2 the price of the E system's. but they have the muffler at the rear. sure be nice to beable to go to a dealer and put a few hondas on the racks & compare stuff:roll:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'll be sure and ask if I go to a shop if they have a mandrel.

So if I decided to get that $300 Gibson muffler and pipe how hard would it be to install? I don't have access to a lift- I think I have a pair of jackstands somewhere though......I have had very little experience doing any exhaust system work.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Exhaust System

Aftermarket exhaust systems are pretty much straightforward in regard to installation. One thing that could happen when you remove the old exhaust is that bolts could break because of rust upon removal. Good idea to have some penetrant handy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I'm pretty bummed out- I just double-checked and the Gibson catback I thought I'd seen was for a 2006-2007 Element- apparently as best as I can determine NOBODY makes an aftermarket exhaust system for a 2003-2005 E EXCEPT Injen and theirs run anywhere from $500-$600. I just can't see spending that kind of money. That seems really bizarre that only this one expensive exhaust system is available. Another kick in the ass for the working class, I guess.......

·
Registered
873 Posts
get some BG pennatrent I spray the bolts & nuts before starting.I use pb blaster but my buddy at the muffler shop said he's usenig the BG now much better than the pb blaster witch was the best for a long time. dont for get to wear protection . no not there dummy for your eyes.:shock: well yes you can also wear it there also:shock: to protect your knuckels from getting skined:razz:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, I'm pretty bummed out- I just double-checked and the Gibson catback I thought I'd seen was for a 2006-2007 Element- apparently as best as I can determine NOBODY makes an aftermarket exhaust system for a 2003-2005 E EXCEPT Injen and theirs run anywhere from $500-$600. I just can't see spending that kind of money. That seems really bizarre that only this one expensive exhaust system is available. Another kick in the ass for the working class, I guess.......
I and many others here have Injen Cat-back and believe me it is a really well built exhaust system. Injen did there homework and the quality shows in there product. As for removing and installing the current exhaust there is just 2 spring bolts and about 5 rubber hangers which make it really easy to to remove once you have the bolts off. Put it on is a little bit trickier because the cat-back comes in pieces, I just used the hangers to hold each piece in place and then tighten down everything once it was together.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Its a good thing i did some research then. I talked to a honda dealer and the part number for 03-05 exhaust is the same as the 06 so you are safe to order it. I get my gibson today I should have it on tomorrow. Ill share with you guys. Btw the k series loves bolt on's. There is nothing wrong with wanting to add to a great box. Mine handles much better since it was lowered. Also the Injen exhaust is a bit pricey considering that it is a packed muffler you are paying a lot for the name. Do not get me wrong they make nice parts.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Its a good thing i did some research then. I talked to a honda dealer and the part number for 03-05 exhaust is the same as the 06 so you are safe to order it. I get my gibson today I should have it on tomorrow. Ill share with you guys. Btw the k series loves bolt on's. There is nothing wrong with wanting to add to a great box. Mine handles much better since it was lowered. Also the Injen exhaust is a bit pricey considering that it is a packed muffler you are paying a lot for the name. Do not get me wrong they make nice parts.
Yeah Injen is more money but when I received mine I was impressed with the gauge of steel they used to build the exhaust and I am happy with the performance so far.:grin: The reason I went with Injen over Gibson was because I wanted the tip straight back and Gibson's appeared to be angled to the right. I agree with you on the bolt on parts my E has been running stronger than with out them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts